Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in portugal??

Options
  • 25-05-2012 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, were goin to portugal next week with our 17 month old,,just wonderin whats the best water to use to boil? Their tap water or buy bottled water and boil that,,just for makin his bottles up an drinkin water....thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

jackben wrote: »
    Hi, were goin to portugal next week with our 17 month old,,just wonderin whats the best water to use to boil? Their tap water or buy bottled water and boil that,,just for makin his bottles up an drinkin water....thanks all

I used bottled water boiled and cooled but my baby is only 14 weeks. I use boiled tap water in my tea - but I do t drink it myself other than that - I'd say boiled bottle water - for a 5 litre container it's only 50 cent!! It's really just the convenience of carrying them! Better safe than sorry tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I always buy bottled water to drink when abroad including boiling for the kettle, making ice etc. Take a trip to the supermarket buy some small 500ml ones and a load of large bottles and you can reuse the smaller ones to bring out and about - much cheaper than buying the smaller bottles all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I regularly go to Lisbon.
    the water is perfectly safe to drink.
    bottled water is very cheap though so when out I would use it but in friends houses the tap is fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

dublinlady wrote: »
    jackben wrote: »

I used bottled water boiled and cooled but my baby is only 14 weeks. I use boiled tap water in my tea - but I do t drink it myself other than that - I'd say boiled bottle water - for a 5 litre container it's only 50 cent!! It's really just the convenience of carrying them! Better safe than sorry tho!
    fifty cents for five litres!!how come its one euro thirty five here? i thought all this eu nonsense was supposed to level prices across the euro zone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

when researching this before going to the canaries last month we discovered that some of the bottled waters are more "baby friendly" than others, lower sodium count apparently , they had a family symbol on the bottles, worth checking if its the same in Portugal. We used this bottled water, boiled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We're Portugal regulars too.
    My parents live there full time.
    We tend to keep bottled water in the fridge- just to have it chilled- but the tap water is perfectly drinkable. Portugal complies with the exact same water standards for tap water, as we do- so in general its as safe to drink tap water there as it is, here.

In general most people drink chilled bottled water- or use it for making up formula- and for tea or coffee- just boil the bog standard tap water.

Check out the different bottled waters though- some are fortified with calcium, whereas some may be a little sulfurous in taste (its just the way people like their water there- if you're drinking wine when you're out you'll probably notice its a bit sulphurous than you're used to here too- just the way they like it).

You can use the bog standard tap water for drinking or boiling- or bottled water for the same purpose- its simply a matter of preference- there is no inherent benefit of one over the other. Lots of people use bottled water extensively- because its so cheap (its about 2 Euro for a 10 litre bottle)- or 30-40c a regular sized bottle. You can getting kiddie sized sippy bottles in 6 or 8 packs cheap too- they're handy in the car.

Oh- if you're going to be returning- enroll in the local supermarket loyalty card- I've still got 20 odd Euro on a Modello card here. Also- keep an eye out for fuel deals- aka spend 50 Euro in Modello- get a 5c a litre off voucher valid for up to 100 litres of fuel- and when you use it- you get a reciprochal discount voucher for going back to the supermarket again (aka- if you saved a fiver on your fuel- your receipt is worth another fiver off your next shop in Modello etc.......) Also- if you think petrol/diesel is expensive here- its even more expensive in Portugal- if you're going to be doing a lot of driving- keep an eye out for any deals going.......

In short- use bottled water if you want to, and it is cheap- but there is absolutely nothing wrong in drinking or boiling the tap water, its up to you whatever you'd like to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Bottled water has sodium in it. So if you're going to buy it, just check the content. Apparently it should be less than 20. Most of the expensive brands are higher then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

We were over in Portugal last year and you can buy water to use in babies bottles and for drinking in the baby section of the supermarkets. Not sure of the name, but thats what we used while over there.

Advertisement