Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep Guardiola is ready to listen to offers

• 25-05-2012 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

so, he could be managing next season, if a club seduces him.

obviously chelsea will be hot for him, but is it a good fit, can he replicate the barca success there or anywhere else? big challenge for him

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That was quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Barca Success during Pep's tenure wasn't just an equation like this

Team + Pep = Success

The foundations were laid many years ago, and a succession of youth development coaches and Pep working throughout and within that system, culminaing in him becoming manager and working with the same players that he helped to grow up together. They knew him since they were kids, he knew them inside out and how to make them tick.

I'm not saying that Pep doesn't deserve credit, of course he does, but it's not like he waved a magic wand at Barca and took them from the doldrums to the peak of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Problem for Chelsea is, that he wants to take a month off and Chelsea want someone within 2 weeks.
    He'll need a magic wand at Chelsea, because he will find many of the same problems that AVB did - old, slow players unable to play a high line pressing game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Personally I don't want him , the burden of expectation from foolish fans who have no real football knowledge would be expecting him to wave a magic wand and turn us into Barca which we all know we are many years away from .

Really Des explains it best in his post above , give Robbie his crack at the whip , keep the job in house !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Problem for Chelsea is, that he wants to take a month off and Chelsea want someone within 2 weeks.
    He'll need a magic wand at Chelsea, because he will find many of the same problems that AVB did - old, slow players unable to play a high line pressing game

Your taking the piss right ??

Your not saying Chelsea wouldn't wait an additional two weeks for Pep are you ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The perfect candidate to replace Matthews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He said "months", not "month".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wouldn't Barcelona as a club and a fanbase be annoyed at him if he takes another job for next season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Pep said he will wait months, not a month. Journos on twitter said it was a month, Guillem Balague cleared it up, he was the or who asked the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think he'd bring instant success to antwhere he went to. Well, not on the scale he brough it to Barca, as Des said, he worked his way up through the ranks at Barca and some of the players he had under him at youth level made their way through that system with him understanding his philosphy and way of playing and approaching games.

Its widely reported that Roman wants him as next manager of Chelsea but I dont see it happening this year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Des wrote: »
    The Barca Success during Pep's tenure wasn't just an equation like this

Team + Pep = Success

The foundations were laid many years ago, and a succession of youth development coaches and Pep working throughout and within that system, culminaing in him becoming manager and working with the same players that he helped to grow up together. They knew him since they were kids, he knew them inside out and how to make them tick.

I'm not saying that Pep doesn't deserve credit, of course he does, but it's not like he waved a magic wand at Barca and took them from the doldrums to the peak of Europe.

This is true, but what people forget is that Peps first action as manager was to tell the 3 top players they were unwanted - Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o. That was a very brave thing to do by a very green coach. Of course, he went back on Eto'o because Eto'o busted a gut to prove Pep wrong for the first half of the season, but then went back to old ways. He was then disposed of.

Also, he is a disciplinarian of the highest degree. Lateness, even by seconds, is never tolerated, no matter who you are. He is a great man manager for those who wish to be managed.

Saying doldroms is melodramataic, but Barca were a team on the slide. Morale was at a long time low. Messi had yet to mature. Nobody had heard of Sergio Busquets. Gerard Pique was "not good enough" for Man United. Abidal was an expensive flop. Iniesta often flattered to deceive. Pep changed all this.

Just on this, yes Pep was part of La Masia and played the majority of his career at Barca, but he had only one year coaching experience with Barca B behind him when he took over the big job. He had been away from the club about 7 years before taking the Barca B job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That was a long break...

He'll go to Chelsea and get sacked after 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am sure he will be interested in the Wigan job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay get Van Gaal in for a year then move him upstairs for DoF and then Pep!

/sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »
    Okay get Van Gaal in for a year then move him upstairs for DoF and then Pep!

/sorted

Move him upstairs ? Is that a Russian Oligarch euphemism for murder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool not Chelsea ya dope! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Whelan says Fergie is hanging it up next summer (and we all know Dave Whelan is an authority on this type of thing) so Pep to take a few months off, join United in december as assistant manager, take over in the summer.

Nailed on. get yer money on it.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool not Chelsea ya dope! :pac:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm sure Guardiola will be tripping over himself for the chance to lead the Scouse Army to glamour spots like Bratislava, Kharkiv and Tel Aviv.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm sure Guardiola will be tripping over himself for the chance to lead the Scouse Army to glamour spots like Bratislava, Kharkiv and Tel Aviv.
    Not forgetting the delights of Hull and Scunthorpe

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Pep? Does he like chicken? Maybe Venkys could "seduce" him to the mighty Rovers and help lead the former Premiership Champions back to top.

As Steve Keans number 2. Pep need'nt go getting a big head, just cause he had one fancy job doesnt mean he can walk straight into the hot seat at Ewood, bide your time and learn your trade under Kean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His next managerial role will be fascinating. I'd have serious concerns over how he would get on at Chelsea. He worked with a very, very specific type of player at Barcelona (players in their defensive rotation generally standing out as less technically able than the rest of the squad but much better in this regard relative to their counterparts around Europe) who were good enough to implement his tactical and strategic vision. How much change would be needed at Chelsea for them to make a horse race of Guardiola ball? I know that a bunch of players are leaving and that Roman would make funds available, but it seems like it would take a lot of work and adjustment for the squad to integrate and get comfortable with his ideas.

Unless he has a great ability to be tactically flexible and play a much more direct and pragmatic game than we've ever seen? I mean, let's say he took over at Utd tomorrow (who have great depth and good youth in their squad) would it work?

Interesting times ahead methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Roma would be interesting for him but they're not in Europe. Or maybe he'll like the fact that they're not there.

Renn wrote: »
    Roma would be interesting for him but they're not in Europe. Or maybe he'll like the fact that they're not there.

That's going to be a tough ****ing job for anyone (big project on hand there just like Liverpool).

Yup, that's why it'll be interesting!

Lazio are looking for a new manager also.

I reckon it will be England, not much attraction to Italy.

One of the top leagues in Europe. Containing some of the top players in the world. Yes, there's some attraction there.

sundula wrote: »
    I reckon it will be England, not much attraction to Italy.

Has he said something to that effect ? He has played in Italy and It's much closer to Spain culturally than England

• Advertisement

Yeah, discounting Seria A is silly. If he is offered the right project there with the right promise of resources it would have to be a runner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He played for Roma. They have some very good young players and the owners arent stingy. I reckon hed be tempted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He could go into semi-retirement by managing F.C. Porto maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Heard from a decent source for Barcelona related stuff (Not always right, but often) that Guardiola wouldn't be adverse to taking a job with a team outside of the top division of a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

G.K. wrote: »
    Heard from a decent source for Barcelona related stuff (Not always right, but often) that gaurdiola wouldn't be adverse to taking a job wiht a team outside of the top division of a country.

Hmmm, if that's the case....

*Orders hit on Neil Warnock*

greendom wrote: »
    Has he said something to that effect ? He has played in Italy and It's much closer to Spain culturally than England

Yeah he phoned me and told me. Why does he have to say something to that effect? I just speculated England would be a better draw.

Italy is dying a slow death, poor attendance at stadiums, very little money in the league, very bad tv deal, poor performances in latter stages of champions league and alot of old marque names on the way out. I couldnt see any club in Italy being a particularly attractive to Pep.

• Advertisement

Yeah he phoned me and told me. Why does he have to say something to that effect? I just speculated England would be a better draw.

Italy is dying a slow death, poor attendance at stadiums, very little money in the league, very bad tv deal, poor performances in latter stages of champions league and alot of old marque names on the way out. I couldnt see any club in Italy being a particularly attractive to Pep.

Nice - always enjoy a bit of sarcasm.

greendom wrote: »
    Nice - always enjoy a bit of sarcasm.

Has to be done, its a thread based on speculation, if Pep said "I want to manage in Italy" then the thread would be "Who will Pep manage in Italy".

I think he wants to manage in England. If the position at United was free I would be putting my money on that. He is no fool, his next job will be huge for his own reputation and to prove to people he wasnt just the right guy in the right place when he took over Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I would have thought arsenal would be a bigger attraction for him

Lol, I know I shouldn't but...

Last season we saw Napoli knock out the strongest team in England (and threw away the chance to knock out the eventual winners). All three Italian teams made it to the last 16. AC Milan played Barcelona four times and put in a good account of themselves each time. The previous season saw similar and Inter knocking out Bayern Munich in the last 16. Inter won it in 09-10. AC Milan won it in 06-07. AC Milan lost 1-0 in the semi-final in 05-06 to the eventual winners. AC Milan lost the final in 04-05. AC Milan won it in 02-03 vs Juventus.

As for attendances:

German Bundesliga - Unofficial Average Attendance: 45,726
    Barclays Premier League - Unofficial Average Attendance: 34,601
    Spanish La Liga - Unofficial Average Attendance: 30,275
    Italian Serie A - Unofficial Average Attendance: 23,459

True that the figures are a bit lower but do you really think that'll influence where he goes? Does that mean he's destined for the Bundesliga? Although tbh, I'd love to see him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

As for attendances:

German Bundesliga - Unofficial Average Attendance: 45,726
    Barclays Premier League - Unofficial Average Attendance: 34,601
    Spanish La Liga - Unofficial Average Attendance: 30,275
    Italian Serie A - Unofficial Average Attendance: 23,459

True that the figures are a bit lower but do you really think that'll influence where he goes? Does that mean he's destined for the Bundesliga? Although tbh, I'd love to see him there.

I think he was just using that to back up that Italian football is dying a slow death, not because of the reason Pep won't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think it's obvious that Pep is destined for the NFL. A team like the Denver Bronco's could achieve great things with him in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

FSG need to sign this man up. Whatever it takes, we should give it to him.

We?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I think it's obvious that Pep is destined for the NFL. A team like the Denver Bronco's could achieve great things with him in charge.

Good snap - Manning in the pocket.... lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral, lateral....

kitakyushu wrote: »

Could he do it on a cold night in November away to Green Bay though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »

As gimmick outlined, he did pretty much wave a magic wand.

In the space of twelve months, Barcelona went from a guard of honour at the Bernabeu for Madrid and a soft, soulless 4-1 defeat to finish third......to a 2-6 annihilation of Madrid in the same ground on their way to all six trophies in a year.

The equivalent of having Arsenal win everything next year and win 2-8 at Old Trafford. Yes it's that much of an unlikely turnaround :pac:

Ah jeez, even the mods are using the tiresome cold night posts :(

Ah jeez, even the mods are using the tiresome cold night posts :(

Just ading to my post count :pac:

The demise of Italian football is much exaggerated imo. Juventus have themselves sorted and will be tough to crack in the CL next season...

I'd be surprised if we seen Pep walk into a job before next year, especially after saying he needed a break from football.

He seems like an honourable bloke and to walk out on Barcelona stating he needed a break and then walk into another job is something I dont think he'd do.

I stand to be corrected though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement