Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raffles Joe. Theyre a rip off!!!

• 25-05-2012 9:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Now before I rant i must point out that any matters mathematical are not and never were my forte...
    But...
    A raffle was help in my work last night and it suddenly occurred to me that we have been getting ripped off for years!!!:eek::eek:
    Most raffles work along the lines of a strip of 5 tickets for 2 euro or three strips totalling 15 tickets for 5 euro. So if for example you buy 15 tickets you have 15 chances to win the voucher from WayOut Boutique and turf accountants or a colonic at Quinns Day Spa.
    But the corrupt swines holding the raffle inevitably draw out an entire strip of 5 tickets and then discard the strip thus denying you of further chances to win with the other 4 tickets.
    Take to the streets people. WE have all been denied a fruit basket and hamper from Supervalu!!!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Who's Joe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Just do what i do, and bring your own book of tickets. I win every time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

all raffles are a scam imo...

Nothing is for nothing these days :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Who's Joe?

Saviour of whiney pensioners everywhere.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Oooohhh, a colonic? Put me in for a fiddy spot.

In fairness I've never seen any raffle, where cloakroom tickets are used, that they break up the strip into individual tickets. It's just the done thing Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Now before I rant i must point out that any matters mathematical are not and never were my forte...
    But...
    A raffle was help in my work last night and it suddenly occurred to me that we have been getting ripped off for years!!!:eek::eek:
    Most raffles work along the lines of a strip of 5 tickets for 2 euro or three strips totalling 15 tickets for 5 euro. So if for example you buy 15 tickets you have 15 chances to win the voucher from WayOut Boutique and turf accountants or a colonic at Quinns Day Spa.
    But the corrupt swines holding the raffle inevitably draw out an entire strip of 5 tickets and then discard the strip thus denying you of further chances to win with the other 4 tickets.
    Take to the streets people. WE have all been denied a fruit basket and hamper from Supervalu!!!!!!

Do you know how annoying it is to tear each and every one of them? But anyway that's not the reason they do it anymore. Every raffle I've been to has sold one strip of tickets as one chance to win. I assumed everyone knew that. I don't know why your work is doing a raffle but most raffles are charity based - ie they do them at quizes as it's an easy way to boost their chairity money - and most people know that and have no problem with paying.

They only problem I have is that when you rip off them strips in groups of five or whatever they tend to clump. So the last raffle I bought tickets for (at a charity quiz night) only about 3-4 tables won all the 15 or so prizes. That bugged me more than the price I paid for the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

a colonic;those poor little fish.You disgust me sir!

Plazaman wrote: »
    Oooohhh, a colonic? Put me in for a fiddy spot.

In fairness I've never seen any raffle, where cloakroom tickets are used, that they break up the strip into individual tickets. It's just the done thing Joe.

And with that defeatist attitude we will never win. i blame Bertie....

nicowa wrote: »
    Do you know how annoying it is to tear each and every one of them? But anyway that's not the reason they do it anymore. Every raffle I've been to has sold one strip of tickets as one chance to win. I assumed everyone knew that. I don't know why your work is doing a raffle but most raffles are charity based - ie they do them at quizes as it's an easy way to boost their chairity money - and most people know that and have no problem with paying.

They only problem I have is that when you rip off them strips in groups of five or whatever they tend to clump. So the last raffle I bought tickets for (at a charity quiz night) only about 3-4 tables won all the 15 or so prizes. That bugged me more than the price I paid for the tickets.

Well then they should think of the environment, save paper and sell individual tickets. Its outrageous so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why in the name of Jaysus would you want to squirt water up your bum-pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

If the same rule applies to all entrants then nobody is at an unfair disadvantage. In fact, it actually slightly increases your chance of winning something in the raffle.

Cianos wrote: »
    If the same rule applies to all entrants then nobody is at an unfair disadvantage. In fact, it actually slightly increases your chance of winning something in the raffle.
    Well then they should think of the environment, save paper and sell individual tickets. Its outrageous so it is.

AND they would save money to go towards getting St Bridgets under 6 football team to Dingle for the finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

why even sell them in strips?
    what happened to the good old days of single tickets? (most cost effective too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When I run colonic raffles (which if I'm honest is on a weekly basis) I always go down the old-fashioned single ticket route.

So if you buy a ticket off for me for the chance to have a hose shoved up yer hoop and all the sh*te flushed out of your guts then you can be guaranteed that you will not be ripped off.

That's my motto. Now if only I could find somewhere that could fit it on to my business cards and still make it legible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Be sure you have ticket no 11. Can't lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

the strips are uses so it looks like more people have enter the raffle. Won one as a kid and my choice of prize was wiskey or wiskey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jester252 wrote: »
    the strips are uses so it looks like more people have enter the raffle. Won one as a kid and my choice of prize was wiskey or wiskey

Sounds like my kinda raffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've won a lot of kitchen utensils in raffles myself.

Forkeys, knifeys, bowleys, spatulaeys, whiskeys, spooneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Sounds like my kinda raffle.
    My parents were not happy as I picked the wrong whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But...

No. It's €2 for one ticket and €5 for three.

Not difficult to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

It is expensive granted, but I just love the old world colonial feel to it. I always try and stay there when I'm in Singapore.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No. It's €2 for one ticket and €5 for three.

Not difficult to understand.
    If it was one ticket there would be one number on it not 5 and they wouldnt be perforated .
    This is one ticket with its copy
    This is a strip of 5. And its not Pink its salmon coloured cos pink is gay.
    Not difficult to understand....;)

Advertisement