Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornady 55gr Soft Points ??

Options
  • 25-05-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I'm running low on ammo so time to stock up.
    Just want to know if there's anyone using the Hornady 55gr soft points, i heard Paul O'Halloran is selling them 50rds for 40 euros?

• How do they group?
    • How do they compare to 55gr V-Max for hunting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

In my cz they group as well as 40gr vmax, under 1 inch at 100. They are very hard hitting and i havent had a fox twitch after being hit with one, shot a goat a few weeks ago and dropped on the spot with a neck shot. Just watch your backstops because they do pass through foxes abd leave a big exit hole

Imo very good round, i wont be changing from them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Look into getting the hornady training rounds there around the same price and there 55gr soft point as well, can't see any fox or long shot rabbits complaining and apparently have the same zero as the v-max so that's handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

There the same thing we are talkin about alan ;) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

There the same thing we are talkin about alan ;) haha

Oops i should really pay more attention to things haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

He's none left I bought the last 100 boxes all for myself. You's can all feck off their all mine:D:D:D. He's been warned not to sell to lads outside the county and theres a road block on the callan road stopping all cars with kildare plates.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

I'm running low on ammo so time to stock up.
    Just want to know if there's anyone using the Hornady 55gr soft points, i heard Paul O'Halloran is selling them 50rds for 40 euros?

• How do they group?
    • How do they compare to 55gr V-Max for hunting?
    Went out last night with the soft points & was very impressed,got the no off of Kildare.17hmr post,Very good guy too buy from Paul & fast delivery.My twist rate is 1:8 tried both the Hornandy V Max & Softpoints together six shots a piece at 100 yards no change in POA or POI excellent round at a great price.

Just got back from drangan and he's none left "me and my big mouth". He did get in some of them Tulammo 62gr FMJ €7 a box or €27 for 5(I think). I got a box just to try them out,i've a perfect spot just 2 minutes from me alive with rabbits. I'll let you know how they perform if i get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

lee70 wrote: »
    Just got back from drangan and he's none left "me and my big mouth". He did get in some of them Tulammo 62gr FMJ €7 a box or €27 for 5(I think). I got a box just to try them out,i've a perfect spot just 2 minutes from me alive with rabbits. I'll let you know how they perform if i get the chance.

Yeah i called in Friday and they were all gone.
    I bought a box of that Tulammo aswell to try it will be interesting to see how they run at €7 a box... Let us know how they run through your rifle.

Well guys I got to try out the cheap Russain ammo in my 1-12 twist zeroed with the 55gr SP's. This is my results from them. I've only fired about 8 rounds. I fired a couple SP's at a 5ltr plastic water bottle and they made nice little holes but when I fired the 63gr FMJ it blew a big hole in the bottle. I also shot at a few bunnies out @ 200-250 yds and didn't manage to hit any but I could see they were landing quite close due to the big splash they made when they hit the dry ground. I did get a couple of shots off at bunnies @ 100yds and they performed very well too well. Last night I fired 2 of them the first one fired and ejected no bother. Later on in the night when I had the chance to fire the second one the spent case got stuck in the chamber, I think this was due to the fact that I had 5 in the mag and this one was chambered so I think the ejector lugs didn't grip the round guite right. Haven't fire any since so the jury's out on these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Well guys I got to try out the cheap Russain ammo in my 1-12 twist zeroed with the 55gr SP's. This is my results from them. I've only fired about 8 rounds. I fired a couple SP's at a 5ltr plastic water bottle and they made nice little holes but when I fired the 63gr FMJ it blew a big hole in the bottle. I also shot at a few bunnies out @ 200-250 yds and didn't manage to hit any but I could see they were landing quite close due to the big splash they made when they hit the dry ground. I did get a couple of shots off at bunnies @ 100yds and they performed very well too well. Last night I fired 2 of them the first one fired and ejected no bother. Later on in the night when I had the chance to fire the second one the spent case got stuck in the chamber, I think this was due to the fact that I had 5 in the mag and this one was chambered so I think the ejector lugs didn't grip the round guite right. Haven't fire any since so the jury's out on these ones.

Kinda pointless then wasn't it.

• Advertisement

Kinda pointless then wasn't it.
    Why don't ya kinda buy some and try them yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Why don't ya kinda buy some and try them yourself

I'm waiting for you to finish your review.

Advertisement