Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken letterbox flap

• 25-05-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Hi, Postman comes round this morning and broke the internal flap of the letterbox by posting a book through it, he must have heard it as there was a clatter when it fell on the floor, flap and all.

Found the postman a few minutes later and explained it to him..he said did the book fit through the letterbox, I said well it must have, then he said...nothing to do with me....:rolleyes:

Well that leaves us in trying to find a replacement internal flap:mad:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for a reply..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

contact the post office and report him,they should cover the repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Have just done this to their office in Dublin, have explained the 'oh it's nothing to do with me' act, and they are making the complaint official to the sorting office in Kilkenny, have taken a pic and now need to source a new flap then send pic and receipt to Dublin to receive costs...

B&q next w/e down in cork so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Do you have all the bits of the flap; the flap, a rod and spring maybe?

Might be able to pop it back on if you have all the pieces and nothing actually broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you know anybody in Dublin (or are up here yourself anytime soon), then MILA in kilbarrack will have a replacement unit. Very reasonable.

• Advertisement

sf80 wrote: »
    Do you have all the bits of the flap; the flap, a rod and spring maybe?

Might be able to pop it back on if you have all the pieces and nothing actually broke.

Yes have all the bits but it's the plastic rod spring type...plastic rod broke at the edge of the box..ah well..

dodzy wrote: »
    If you know anybody in Dublin (or are up here yourself anytime soon), then MILA in kilbarrack will have a replacement unit. Very reasonable.

I do but will be in cork anyway next weekend..thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So the letterbox broke while using it for the purpose it was designed for. It's unfair to blame the postman for that.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    So the letterbox broke while using it for the purpose it was designed for. It's unfair to blame the postman for that.

Well it was a thick package.....and I reckon he shoved it in hard and fast...he probably wanted to get home as fast as he could to enjoy the sun...

Say if your car broke while your friend was using it, would you not blame him or put it down to it breaking while using it for the purpose it was designed for..

A letterbox is not designed to break while using it for the purpose it was designed for...

There is a thing called a doorbell, he knew we were home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

slimjimmc wrote: »

Have to agree.

Surely if the package fitted in through the outer slot the postman could reasonably assume it would also fit through the inner one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Well it was a thick package.....and I reckon he shoved it in hard and fast...he probably wanted to get home as fast as he could to enjoy the sun...

Say if your car broke while your friend was using it, would you not blame him or put it down to it breaking while using it for the purpose it was designed for..

A letterbox is not designed to break while using it for the purpose it was designed for...

There is a thing called a doorbell, he knew we were home...

No, if my car broke down I wouldn't blame my friend for using it, that would be daft, I'd blame my self for inadequate maintenance or the manufacturer for poor design. Nor would I blame him if the arm of a car-park entrance barrier broke and collapsed onto my bonnet, I'd blame the car-park operators for putting in crappy barriers or not maintaining them.

If the package was such a tight fit that it need to be shoved in with enough force to break the flap then surely the book would have been damaged? (and considering you haven't mentioned that, it's safe to assume that was not the case.)

Advertisement