Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how succesfull is a free magazine

Options
  • 25-05-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am doing some market research and would like to get some answers to the following questions :

Would people be interested in receiving a free publication on a biweekly basis with local news / business advertisement and local deals / local buy and sell ads.

Would people continue to read this every 2 weeks or would it soon become part of the "rubbish".

Also, like to hear from businesses whether they would like to advertise in such a publication. Aim is to help local businesses/self employed people to increase their sales or services by offering advertising opportunity at affordable prices.

Any comments are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The Carlow People is a free weekly paper, delivered door to door that pretty much does what you are describing already with local sport also.

I usually give it a quick look and then bin it. Would rarely be aware of the ads other than its full of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

My wife has her own business, we've advertised in the Kildare Post & Kilkenny People but we got zero response, the ads seemed expensive aswell.
    Working on her Facebook & Google presence proved far more successful.
    The main problem with these newspapers is often 50% of the page or more is advertising, people just flick to the next page.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

An old guy once told me " never advertise in a paper that people don't buy as they will bin it. If they pay for the weekly paper they will keep it till next week and more people will read it"
    Iv advertised in papers before and had little luck as a poster said Google and Facebook gives a better return and Facebook is free.
    Most papers charge 80 plus for adds need to sell a lot to just pay for the add

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Back in 07/08 we used to get a free newspaper in the door, can't for the life of me remember the name of it!

It was terrible though, riddled with adds. It suddenly stopped appearing. Carlow is not the place for free newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Local newspapers, free or otherwise, are only read for one reason - to see pictures or names of people you know or might know. Nobody is interested in anything else. If you wrap your ads around pictures of Carlow people, or lists of Carlow people's names, it will succeed. Skip that crucial element and it's toilet paper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement