Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long commute commuter

Options
  • 25-05-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

im looking for a commuter bike, for a long (circa 50k each way) commute. I have been using a carbon bike, which has been ok, no rack tho, and we recently moved building and the security isnt as good as it was in the old building, so im reluctant to use the carbon bike now. Ill obviously be doing a lot of miles on the bike, and as its a commuter, i will want a rack and proper mudguards (or at least the ability to add them later). ideally im looking for something comfortable and durable (i know comfort is subjective) but recomendations are welcome. budget is in and around 500 - 700 euros. A touring bike would be perfect, but would i get one for that money? Preferably new (or very good condition for second hand)

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Lenny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This is on sale in the adverts section

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056647406

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Someone in my work has one of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57201

Beautiful bike in the flesh. You're stuck with the flat bars though as there are no levers or shifters for drop bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Size?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

@ jawgap - saw that one but i think its too small for me.
    @ lumen, i really dont know, im 5 ft 10 but like a big bike. I think i would really need to sit on the bike.
    @ seamus cheers for that. nice bike allright. What are the alfine hubs like?

I'm thinking of selling my tank bike.

It is slow though (probably due to the hub gears) and I only have a 30km round trip commute.

• Advertisement

@ lumen - how slow is slow. you say its heavy, how is the gearing. would you go up howth head on it?
    Are the aflein hubs generally draggy? It looks like it could be worth a look. what sort of price would you be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

IMO, thats a lovely looking bike, perfect for commuting. Id consider buying it myself except they've made an 'official' version which Im saving my next BTW for.

The weight of the hub might give you pause for thought if you're used to a racing bike, but for me, the lack of maintenance and hassle would make up for it.

lennymc wrote: »
    @ lumen - how slow is slow. you say its heavy, how is the gearing. would you go up howth head on it?

I'd rather go up Howth on my TT bike, and I haven't ridden that in two years. :pac:
    Are the aflein hubs generally draggy?

Reports vary. Some people says it's like riding through treacle. Others that the drag is not noticeable.

I did a lap of the Phoenix Park at 31.4kph in early March on 35mm tyres with the dynamo lights on, but it took 175bpm and I felt every one of those heartbeats. A week later I did it at 176bpm at 33.8km/h on my race bike.

That 2.4kph feels like a lot, though.
    It looks like it could be worth a look. what sort of price would you be looking for?

Not sure. It's cost me an absolute fortune, as I went through a number of permutations of wheels and brakes before I found something that worked well (I'm currently using handbuilt open pros).

They're €1500 new, with bog standard wheels and no dynamo hub.

Hmmm, need to think about this a bit more. Apologies for using your thread to think out loud.....

cheers lumen!
    depending on the price i could definately be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

What about a cyclocross bike - a lot have longer chainstays (43-45cm) which I guess are more comfortable and have eyelets for mudguards/racks, clearance for wider tyres, taller headtube etc.
    How about one of these secondhand?

Aside from my tank bike...

I would recommend an audax bike, if you can stretch to it or find one second hand. Something with full mudguards and a cheap drivetrain, probably not 10sp, so you can be lazy with cleaning and bin stuff when it wears out.

There are some quite racy audax machines around, and they tend to be cheaper and faster than full on tourers.

You won't fit massive tyres on an audax bike, but the question is really: are you ever going to have to do that 50km commute in the snow and ice? I don't think it would be practical anyway, even if we do get those sort of winters again.

I think 28mm tyres are perfect for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

A lot of Trek road bikes will take rack and panniers. I'm commuting on a 1.5 with full mudguards and a rack/panniers. It's perfect because it can double up as a winter trainer too.

Cheers for the suggestions everyone. I dont think I want to build something up. I have bikes at home waiting to be built up, and dont want the headache. Lumen, your bike would be nice, but, given the effort and money you spent on it i would imagine it would be out of budget for me. I went and took a look at a giant defy 5 at lunch, nice little bike, cheap, cheerful, comfy
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.5.compact/9317/49826/

relatively light at about 10.5 kgs, has eyelets for rack and mudguards, not the end of the world if its nicked.

i like the idea of a new bike cos there is no wear and tear. Using man maths (my favourite kind) if i were to use the bike circa 60 times in a year it would have paid for itself.

Ill have a think about it, but for the money i think it might just be spot on.

bought the defy 5. its nice and comfy, cheap, simple, and will take a rack and proper mudguards. thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

good luck with the defy 5 lenny. Nice looking bike.

Holy thread revival!

Im looking for a new commuter. :) Any suggestions?

40k each way, mudguards and rack mounts would be nice. Not sure on budget yet but i guess up to about 1500.

All suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Did you wear the giant out Lenny?! :)

the giant is long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My Soma is as old as this thread. It's in your spec range. A friend just got a Genesis. Steel frames tend to have the bosses for full mudguards. My Ti Enigma has bosses too now that I think of it. Would be above budget though.

• Advertisement

I've had a few Planet X bikes. They're a bit sh^t and a bit great. And it's hard to argue with 1x and hydros for under €1350.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMAPEX1/planet-x-full-monty-sram-apex-1-hydraulic-disc-gravel-bike

just thinking about the ti bikes - are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lumen wrote: »
    I've had a few Planet X bikes. They're a bit sh^t and a bit great. And it's hard to argue with 1x and hydros for under €1350.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMAPEX1/planet-x-full-monty-sram-apex-1-hydraulic-disc-gravel-bike

That is really nice. First Planet X I've ever seen the styling of which I actually really like.

i like this actually - CBPXGALFOR_P1.jpg?v=a

just thinking about the ti bikes - are they worth it?
    The best thing about them is how incredibly well they clean up, never any scratches. It really helps to spot the cracks before they kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Holy thread revival!

40k each way, mudguards and rack mounts would be nice. Not sure on budget yet but i guess up to about 1500.

All suggestions welcome

Chapeau on the commuting. Off topic but is it a straightforward spin? Regular working hours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Holy thread revival!

All suggestions welcome
    I commute on a genesis equilibrium disc 20 I bought from a boardsie. Love it, but a new one would be about 20% over budget for you. Unless you got one on sale as the 2016 models started to clear out, another option would be the non-disc version. Loads of clearance for mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lumen wrote: »

The seat tube and down tube look very close to the wheels for mudguard clearance.

The seat tube and down tube look very close to the wheels for mudguard clearance.

That'll be the stock 38mm tyres.

• Advertisement

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Chapeau on the commuting. Off topic but is it a straightforward spin? Regular working hours?

Yeah, straight forward. Just started hear a couple of weeks ago. I jave a few routes, one is straight down the r132, another is straight over naul, so I want a reasonably light bike.

Just thinking, the best commuter I had was a carbon racebike with crud roadracers and a backpack. Maybe I will just get one of those.

I was also thinking, I missed lumens wit 😀

Advertisement