Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long commute commuter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

lennymc wrote: »
    Just thinking, the best commuter I had was a carbon racebike with crud roadracers and a backpack. Maybe I will just get one of those.

Yep, a lot to be said for that when you're spending a long time on the commute. Possibly one of those light-touring massive saddle bags that attach to the seat post instead of a backpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Think I am going to go for an aero bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I commute on a genesis equilibrium disc 20 I bought from a boardsie. Love it, but a new one would be about 20% over budget for you. Unless you got one on sale as the 2016 models started to clear out, another option would be the non-disc version. Loads of clearance for mudguards.

I have a Genesis Equilibrium 20 (non-disc) fitted with mudguards and a rack (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack/). The only thing is that the rack mount on the brake side is not usable, so had to secure that side with a p-clip. Works perfectly, I can send a picture if interested.

But I use a different bike most days for commuting - a touring bike. I think more people should use them. Much more comfortable, much less chance of punctures (1 in 18 months) with the right tyres, no carrying back-packs (why do people do this?, very uncomfortable) and cheap as chips to maintain and run (cheaper components that last twice as long as on a carbon racer). I dont understand why more people dont use touring bikes for commuting.

My main reason is speed. I have a touring bike, and there is a reasonable difference over the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

lennymc wrote: »
    Holy thread revival!

Im looking for a new commuter. :) Any suggestions?

40k each way, mudguards and rack mounts would be nice. Not sure on budget yet but i guess up to about 1500.

All suggestions welcome
    I commute on a genesis equilibrium disc 20 I bought from a boardsie. Love it, but a new one would be about 20% over budget for you. Unless you got one on sale as the 2016 models started to clear out, another option would be the non-disc version. Loads of clearance for mudguards.
    2017 equilibrium s down to within OP budget on UK sites.
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/genesis-equilibrium-20-2017-road-bike.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mh_cork wrote: »
    no carrying back-packs (why do people do this?, very uncomfortable)
    the only 'comfort' issue i have with a backpack is sweat. that said, it's usually very light - socks, boxers, tshirt, maybe a pair of trousers or a towel once a week. plus, it's just a little more convenient to pack it into a backpack before leaving the house than to do it on the bike after leaving (bike is stored in the garage). i suppose YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Off topic ...I have heard of tla but fla? Oh no!

Is ymmv widely used? Never heard or seen it before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Off topic ...I have heard of tla but fla? Oh no!

Is ymmv widely used? Never heard or seen it before
    IANAL, so any advice i can give you is limited.

Ah here, it's way too late :D

anyway, i'm sure you know by now, but YMMV is 'your mileage may vary'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Which in most other forums would be of clear meaning, but in cycling forum could be literal or metaphorical 😀

well, there is a way of equating it, in terms of energy required to move a vehicle. with bikes, it seems accepted that they do the equivalent of 1,500mpg at something like 15mph (based on a claim i heard recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

mh_cork wrote: »
    I dont understand why more people dont use touring bikes for commuting.

My general-purpose bike is a touring bike too. They're great all-round bikes. Bit expensive due to low consumer demand though.

I did, but, I don't get the penchant for using such obscure acronyms. Personal thing maybe but neither are in common use , or widely recognised/understood.

Ended up buying a giant tcr advanced. Happy days

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...took you 5 years to make your mind up!!

:pac:

Advertisement