Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

proof of age in Ireland

• 25-05-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

I am involved in a football club in Dublin.

We have a number of kids of foreign decent.

A number of them are involved in citizenship applications since January this year.

They are due to play in a all Ireland soccer tournament in June. It has come to our attention that organisation, a sub group of the FAI are looking to accept only valid passports as proof of age.

The kids in question have passports but they are expired. They are foreign passports and until the citizenship application is complete they will not have Irish passports.

They do however have original birth certificates but it's possible these will not be accepted.

My question to anyone in the know is if a birth cert is a valid form of identification in that is MUST be accepted?
    Not every kid in the country has a passport and should not be needed to play football in this country.

can anyone give me advice please on birth certificates and if they must be accepted as valid forms of age?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No they don't have to be accepted. A birth cert has no identifying feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

MagicSean wrote: »
    No they don't have to be accepted. A birth cert has no identifying feature.

Hi, this is the point. It is not a form of identification i am referring to as that can be achieved using a school ID.

I am specifically referring to a form of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

My question to anyone in the know is if a birth cert is a valid form of identification in that is MUST be accepted?

You did appear to be asking about ID, but never mind. Surely the best thing to do would be to get onto the organisers of the tournament, put the situation to them and have them make a determination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

BornToKill wrote: »
    You did appear to be asking about ID, but never mind. Surely the best thing to do would be to get onto the organisers of the tournament, put the situation to them and have them make a determination?

The title of my thread is 'proof of age in Ireland'. ;)

We did consider that but they know of the young lads situation and they know we are trying to speed up the citizenship application however explaining our difficulty now would most likely prompt the league in question to replace the kid and that would be a terrible outcome.

It is prudent I suppose that we consider the options before outlining our predicament to the league.

By the way, passport or birth certificates are acceptable as proof of age for a kid to play football in a league within this country but unusually a passport seems to be placed in there as a very unfair obstacle for this particular tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

I am involved in a football club in Dublin.

We have a number of kids of foreign decent.

A number of them are involved in citizenship applications since January this year.

They are due to play in a all Ireland soccer tournament in June. It has come to our attention that organisation, a sub group of the FAI are looking to accept only valid passports as proof of age.

The kids in question have passports but they are expired. They are foreign passports and until the citizenship application is complete they will not have Irish passports.

They do however have original birth certificates but it's possible these will not be accepted.

Not every kid in the country has a passport and should not be needed to play football in this country.

Thank you.

There was an episode of this on Law & Order season 13 lol a kid from eastern Europe used his 2 year younger cousin's passport so that he could play baseball in the little leagues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Their passports are expired, but their date of birth hasn't, has it?

Advertisement