Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multipurpose PC build critique

Options
  • 25-05-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €1100

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? CAD, Photoshop, Gaming (iRacing, and modern and future high poly/high particle effect/intensive lighting titles)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Don't want to

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? 1-8 weeks

In it's current carnation, my PC is bordering on about 5 years old now, though bits of it date back to 98. I figure it's high time to start a new build from scratch. My hope is to build a future proof PC that will still run the latest games at max or close settings in 3 years time. I'm a bit out of the loop on modern tech, but spent the last couple of weeks browsing this form, along with various hardware review and comparision sites.

Originally I wanted to aim for a budget of €800. Building a PC is all about compromise, and I realised that I had to compromise too much for €800, so I let the budget swell a bit. I came up with the build listed below, it's slightly over the €1100 I wanted to spend, but I'm for the quality and performance, I think it wil be worth it. I would appreciate thoughts, perhaps I haven't chosen some components that are the best for the price, or some could be replaced with cheaper parts that are just as good.

Also, I've been building my own PC for about 10 years now, but tbh I'm a bit sick of it. I was nearly going to buy a pre-built, but as usual, you just can't find good value in those. I noticed HWVS have an assembly service for only €20, does anyone have experience of it? Do they just assemble and test the components, or do they install the OS on top of that. I think I saw another service listed as sofware install for €50, which seems a bit steep. Ideally it would be nice to unbox it, plug in the monitor and switch it on, but the pricing might be excessive to expect that.

Item|Price
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9|€86.83
    Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 - pure black, ohne Netzteil|€89.91
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€102.99
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.44
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€111.29
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2|€77.24
    LG GH22NS50/70/90 bare schwarz|€17.83
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.12
    ASRock Z77 Pro4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€105.05
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€24.19
    MSI R7850 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€226.41
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1158.29

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They just put the parts together and give you the leftovers. They won't put in heavy heatsinks and cards that could get damaged in shipping. They probably test that it switches on but that's it.

It might be no harm to get windows 7 Pro in case you go above 16GB of RAM... depending on your work, although 16GB is a lot. If you're a student or have kids going to school, you can get this a bit cheaper with software4students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Thanks I'll check out windows pro. About the memory, as I mentioned, I want a future proof computer as much as my budget will allow. When I build my current PC, 1 GB was the norm, and people thought you were mad to go over 2. At the moment my 4 GB struggles. RAM is cheap at the moment, an extra €40 is worth it, even if I won't see the full benefit of it for a few years.

It sounds like the assembly service isn't really worth it. Guess I'll just suck it up and build it myself :)

Advertisement