Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to athy

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

There is some dodge places in Athlone to avoid. namely Willow Park.

That's the place I was thinking of too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Any updates OP if you moved to this awful town?

Im 21, living here since i was 8. Can't wait to get out of it, not that I live everyday hating life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RuthieB

Update,

Hi All,

I went to view the place in Athy. The house was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I found the neighbours to be pretty intimidating/hostile. Several of the women came out, sat on a wall opposite the house and eyeballed the people coming to view it. I said hello to the next door neighbour and she didn't acknowledge me at all. Considering I don't drive, and it IS quite a limited train schedule to Dublin (stopping early in the evening) I decided I didn't really want to be that isolated somewhere quite that unfriendly....

I'm sure there are other places in Athy that would be lovely, but it did kinda put me off in honesty.

Thanks for everyone's advice, really really appreciated all the different points of view!

R

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Wow I wouldn't want neighbours likes that either!

At least you took the sensible approach, viewed the place and then decided it was not for you. Others would read a negative comment and decide then. I live in Coneyboro and it is a nice area. I don't see anybody out on walls eyeballing people thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Avalin

Hi just came across this thread and looking for opinions please... Myself and the husband have applied for a mortgage and looks like we will qualify for around the €230k, should know for definite within the next week or so . We are living just outside Naas and want to buy now but there is so much more house for the money in Athy compared to Naas. Have been looking at Prusselstown Green and Gallows Hill near the golf course. We have two children 8 and 5 so want a nice enough area safe for them to play. Would love to hear if anyone has experience of either or heard anything good or bad. Also info re schools in the area would be appreciated thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I wouldn't spend all that for a house in Athy. The town really is horrible. If you want anything you have to go to Carlow or Newbridge for it. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit there but I if I was in your shoes I wouldn't bring my kids to this town.

I wouldn't spend all that for a house in Athy. The town really is horrible. If you want anything you have to go to Carlow or Newbridge for it. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit there but I if I was in your shoes I wouldn't bring my kids to this town.
    Thanks for reply would you be mainly referring to shopping etc or facilities for children. I had heard there were some good sports clubs etc down there but maybe that wont make up for other things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Avalin wrote: »
    Hi just came across this thread and looking for opinions please... Myself and the husband have applied for a mortgage and looks like we will qualify for around the €230k, should know for definite within the next week or so . We are living just outside Naas and want to buy now but there is so much more house for the money in Athy compared to Naas. Have been looking at Prusselstown Green and Gallows Hill near the golf course. We have two children 8 and 5 so want a nice enough area safe for them to play. Would love to hear if anyone has experience of either or heard anything good or bad. Also info re schools in the area would be appreciated thanks !

A 230 mortgage suggests 250 - 270k purchase. I'd go for Newbridge especially with children. Athy is just a wee bit too far and facilities are about on par for a small town whereas Newbridge is above par for a large town.
    You should be able to get a detached in Newbridge in nice estate for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Living in Athy with family for the last few years, great clubs for kids in the town, mine do gymnastics, swimming, canoeing and gaa.I know the soccer,rugby and tennis clubs are very good as well.
    they are in the primary and secondary schools on the Monasterevan road, modern and well resourced.
    Prusselstown green is nice but it is not finished and never will be. I would try somewhere like Chanterlands, Ashville, Mansfield. If there were any houses for sale in Chanterlands and I had your budget I would be in there. I'm not originally from the the town but have settled in well here and can't knock it. best of luck.

Thanks for replies unfortunately all on hold now as bank came back and said they werent giving us the mortgage even though the girl in the branch had indicated we were. We had deposit and affordability to pay but they said we havent enough history of saving large sums! So disheartened, we are going to save like mad things and apply again in a few months ..Ive never heard of Chanterlands mcgarrett and Ive been on most of the property sites recently must have a look, maybe no-one wants to sell there if its nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mazzer2

Hi

We are moving to Athy Coneyboro in the next 2 months. We have an 11 year old boy and a 2 year girl. We have no info on what would be a good school for the boy (he is in a mixed school) and a good creche for the baby. Ideas for clubs etc. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. We need to get moving to register the lad for school. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

sandin wrote: »
    <snip> One thing I do advise is visit the area on a Saturday afternoon / evening and see if there are many kids hanging about where your new house is and then do this on at least 2 other days.

Also, if there are already people occupying the houses in the immediate area, see how well their garden looks (you can tell you a lot about prople from their gardens)

Good tips. I went to look at 5 houses a while back but I hadn't even got an offer on my own and a couple have since sold. My own is now sold so I plan to go and view 2 on Saturday. Anybody have opinions on Fortbarrington or Corran Ard?

I pretty much keep to myself and don't bother much with pubs and if I did it might be Sunday afternoon for the football so at my age no late nights for me. Also work isn't an issue so morning/evening traffic doesn't really bother me as I typically don't have much to do and all day to do it.

Thanks.

Advertisement