Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weir in Carlow? Where is it?

Options
  • 25-05-2012 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi,

Someone told me that there is a place in Carlow called The Weir which is like a river beach and is supposedly lovely for a summery day. I think they said it is out the Athy Road, but I have never heard of it before and don't know where to find it.

Anyone any ideas where it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Go out to Milford lovely out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Hi,

Someone told me that there is a place in Carlow called The Weir which is like a river beach and is supposedly lovely for a summery day. I think they said it is out the Athy Road, but I have never heard of it before and don't know where to find it.

Its out in knockbeg. Was a lovely spot but last time I was there the college was refusing to let people onto their grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

dangerous as f##k too..

be careful out there. Havent been there for years but its the current can be surprisingly strong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

This is the location of the weir you are looking for.
    https://maps.google.ie/?ll=52.864978,-6.93144&spn=0.004825,0.016147&t=h&z=17

Past Bestfield at rear of travellers halting site. Access from the Knockbeg side but they obviously dont want people using it

As mentioned earlier it is dangerous since it concentrates the water for the lock gates.

As suggested go to Milford (or Courtown!) instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Thanks, I'll try Milford or Courtown instead, particularly as I have a young boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

South of the County there is one at Clashganny - Only for strong swimmers though .

Went out to Milford today, very nice. Got a little bit shook when I went into the open river part, went swimming off down towards the waterfall and when I got back I had to fight the current a bit. I'd never swum in a river before and naively didn't expect it to be so strong. Stuck to the other part after that which was lovely, cleaner than I expected it to be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hi,

knockbeg college out the sleaty road in graiguecullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

The Barrow is a very dangerous river and I wouldn't recommend bringing a child swimming in it especially at a weir where there can be many holes and a faster flow of water. Its a very powerful river. Just be aware of that, safety first.

jodie85 wrote: »
    The Barrow is a very dangerous river and I wouldn't recommend bringing a child swimming in it especially at a weir where there can be many holes and a faster flow of water. Its a very powerful river. Just be aware of that, safety first.

Out of interest are there any rivers that are less dangerous near to Carlow? I imagine if the Barrow is very dangerous then the Nore must also be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

Out of interest are there any rivers that are less dangerous near to Carlow? I imagine if the Barrow is very dangerous then the Nore must also be?

There is the Burrin but its filthy, the Slaney but its also a fast flowing river, the Greece and Lirr are small rivers and the Deeren also.

Advertisement