Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lunchtime beers. Sorely missed...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

im getting drunk just reading this thread. few cans this evening i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    summerskin wrote: »
    Working in the UK, and particularly in London, we used to go out for a pint most lunchtimes, and every friday lunch meant about three hours in the pub followed by an hour of chilling in the office doing nothing. How i miss those days.

How come nobody in Ireland seem to do that? Last time I mentioned it to someone they looked at me as though I was from another planet, and shouldn't I just get a chicken roll and a can of pop from Spar like everyone else???

So, how many of you would like to go for lunchtime pints, and how many think it's just another step down the rocky road to alcoholism and is unprofessional?

Cos it will result in getting sacked?

:confused:

Also, drinking several pints at lunchtime and then driving home = sheer stupidity.

1 pint at lunch then drivin home 4 hours later is ok. Any more than that and you have to be using public transport, as I did every day.

And if you'd get sacked that's exactly what I'm talking about. Why is there such a fear of alcohol over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jess16 wrote: »
    For you maybe -but most of the people I know don't turn into anti-social, homewrecking, dregs of society as soon as they've had a drink and whereas I know alcohol can be a huge issue for some people, the majority of us don't morph into monsters the minute a drink passes our lips

Nor do most people on other types of drugs.:rolleyes: Alcohol is a recreational drug and it is one of the ones that causes most problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Sykk wrote: »
    If you can't get through a day of work without having need for a pint then you've got a problem, man.

Yes.

You're obviously in the wrong line of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Had a couple at lunch there.

Now I'm here watching the clock and can barely keep my eyes open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Hmm it's not a need, it's a want. Sometimes I want a beer with my lunch. I used to do it. And now i don't. Quite simple, no problem. Why do you see having a pint as a "need"? If I said coffee would you feel differently? Like when people say they have "taken a drink", it makes it sound like drugs. What's wrong with "had a drink"? Nobody says they had "taken a rock shandy", do they?

I want cook and hookers in work but it's hardly appropriate so I wait til I get home.
    The way some people view/fear alcohol in this country amuses me.

Two people in my family are alcoholics, one has destroyed my mothers life and constantly has everyone else worrying about him. I'm glad it amuses you that people don't take alcohol seriously, though.

Though what is amuses me is the pissheads that think it's great to drink their wages, eat a kebab, vomit, not remember anything about the night they wasted.

I enjoy heading having pints with the lads and I'll definitely be having a few with the BBQ tomorrow. But there is a time and a place. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Hmm it's not a need, it's a want. Sometimes I want a beer with my lunch. I used to do it. And now i don't. Quite simple, no problem. Why do you see having a pint as a "need"? If I said coffee would you feel differently? The way some people view/fear alcohol in this country amuses me. Like when people say they have "taken a drink", it makes it sound like drugs. What's wrong with "had a drink"? Nobody says they had "taken a rock shandy", do they?

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Hmm it's not a need, it's a want. Sometimes I want a beer with my lunch. I used to do it. And now i don't. Quite simple, no problem. Why do you see having a pint as a "need"? If I said coffee would you feel differently? Like when people say they have "taken a drink", it makes it sound like drugs. What's wrong with "had a drink"? Nobody says they had "taken a rock shandy", do they?

I want cook and hookers in work but it's hardly appropriate so I wait til I get home.
    The way some people view/fear alcohol in this country amuses me.

Two people in my family are alcoholics, one has destroyed my mothers life and constantly has everyone else worrying about him. I'm glad it amuses you that people don't take alcohol seriously, though.

Though what is amuses me is the pissheads that think it's great to drink their wages, eat a kebab, vomit, not remember anything about the night they wasted.

I enjoy heading having pints with the lads and I'll definitely be having a few with the BBQ tomorrow. But there is a time and a place. :rolleyes:

My mother is an alcoholic who ruined my teenage years as a result. Doesn't mean that my attitude to alcohol is one of fear. I like a drink and stay in control of it. Alcoholism is a personal problem that is often the manifestation of other deeper rooted issues. There really is no need to fear it unless you are worried that it will take control of you.

Now, work finished so time to drive home and have one pint on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Really?

If that amuses you, then I'm sure those guys are glad not to have you around. Get a hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

My mother is an alcoholic who ruined my teenage years as a result. Doesn't mean that my attitude to alcohol is one of fear. I like a drink and stay in control of it. Alcoholism is a personal problem that is often the manifestation of other deeper rooted issues. There really is no need to fear it unless you are worried that it will take control of you.

Now, work finished so time to drive home and have one pint on the way.

with 4 chronic alcoholics in my family (2 uncles 2 aunts all of whom destroyed their marriages, 2 had kids taken off them 1 was denied access to his daughter by her mother) i perfectly understand you summerskin..

i drink alcohol but i know my limit and stop when i reach it.

the root cause of their drinking goes back to my grandmother who controlled and manipulated them for years (granny has munch hausens disorder)... she tried to do the same with my mother but mam was too headstrong and broke the cycle from happening to her. My mother also sheilded her youngest sister from all of that taking severe beatings from my granny in the process in order to protect her little sister. Alcoholics drink for a much deeper reason than just addiction. unless they deal with the real reason they will never be able to quit the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

iguana wrote: »
    Nor do most people on other types of drugs.:rolleyes:

Ahhh my good friend Mr Rolleyes! -such a multi-purpose little fellow!

Silently sitting there as an innocuous emblem of disgust for the more angry, inarticulate interwebbers amongst us but by the same token, selflessly serving the needs of the innocent, recipient-victim too.

Like a reliable loo roll, he's there for us all boys and girls but you know when you see him, take heed! And proceed with caution unless you wish to get involved with the copious amounts of crap that's likely to follow from the hands of his user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I always have a few pints and a couple of shorts at lunchtime on a Friday then straight back to work as often Friday is one of our busiest days and I may be here till after 6pm.

Yes indeed, I do find I'm more relaxed performing surgery on a Friday than any other day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jess16 wrote: »
    Ahhh my good friend Mr Rolleyes! -such a multi-purpose little fellow!

Silently sitting there as an innocuous emblem of disgust for the more angry, inarticulate interwebbers amongst us but by the same token, selflessly serving the needs of the innocent, recipient-victim too.

Like a reliable loo roll, he's there for us all boys and girls but you know when you see him, take heed! And proceed with caution unless you wish to get involved with the copious amounts of crap that's likely to follow from the hands of his user.

No it's for when people make such an utterly inane statement, like the ridiculous one you made with such stupid implications about drug users the only conclusion is that you got your drug education from Nancy Reagan, the only response to it can be conveyed online with the help of the rolleyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I'm working, I'm working. when I'm drinking, I'm drinking. Best to get them both separate.
    Yup, business in front - party in the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

We used to do this back in the 90's... was fun for a while but the minister was up our arses for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 AMurph1979

I worked in Germany on a construction site for a while. All the Germans would have a beer at lunchtime with their food, no problem there. The problem developed when 3 Irish lads came on board (me included), we'd have 1 beer and we just couldn't help ourselves, that was it, we were out for the night. Great year though, oh to be 19 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Working in the UK, and particularly in London, we used to go out for a pint most lunchtimes, and every friday lunch meant about three hours in the pub followed by an hour of chilling in the office doing nothing. How i miss those days.

How come nobody in Ireland seem to do that? Last time I mentioned it to someone they looked at me as though I was from another planet, and shouldn't I just get a chicken roll and a can of pop from Spar like everyone else???

So, how many of you would like to go for lunchtime pints, and how many think it's just another step down the rocky road to alcoholism and is unprofessional?

Different culture over here. I have to say there is nothing like a nice pint of cider, having a chat and soaking up the sun before going back in to work. Its not about getting pissed its about the social aspect of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Had a pint at lunch today and yesterday. Wouldn't have any more than two though.
    There seems to be no problem with it over here in England. Most of the tables outside were taken up by both managers and lower level staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

(I live in London)

We have lunch in a pub once or twice a week, with just the one pint usually. It has gone to 2 or 3 pints on rare occasions, such as when someone is leaving or someone's birthday.

Love it.

Advertisement