Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murder trial in Mauritius

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Jesus I've read some stupid **** in my time but I can actually see the drool dripping from every word of that.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

scholar007 wrote: »
    Why did they have 3 phones?

A lot of people have more than one phone if they live near the border.

A lot of people have more than one phone if they live near the border.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Theres a fair amount of wankers on this thread

Why?

Are you ****ing serious?

Why?

One for the north and one for the south... there are different networks both sides of the border.

One for the north and one for the south... there are different networks both sides of the border.

I think you're going to have to type slower to explain it to scholar007.

Why would you bother? What about roving? Sure isn't Ireland all the one now in all but name?

I think you're going to have to type slower to explain it to scholar007.

I'm trying to work out if he was taking the piss. Poor form.
    There should be a news section on Boards to stop serious stories getting thrown into AH.

• Advertisement

Why would you bother? What about roving? Sure isn't Ireland all the one now in all but name?
    Seriously, just stop, it's boring.
    I'm trying to work out if he was taking the piss. Poor form.
    There should be a news section on Boards to stop serious stories getting thrown into AH.
    There is but it gets no traffic.

Unfortunately free calls apply for calls to England but not 10 miles down the road. If you work across the border or regularly call people on the other side you need two phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tragic case and all but lets let the Mauritian legal system settle it,. Theres little that we can do. The Legal profession is a lot like the medical, every person with an internet access is an expert.

Unfortunately free calls apply for calls to England but not 10 miles down the road. If you work across the border or regularly call people on the other side you need two phones.

Surely the free calls thingy would cancel out the cost benefit of paying for 2 phones? :confused: I hate having 1 phone but 2 would drive me bannnas.

Surely the free calls thingy would cancel out the cost benefit of paying for 2 phones? :confused: I hate having 1 phone but 2 would drive me bannnas.

I bought a Meteor simcard for a fiver and a phone for a tenner on donedeal. Topped up twenty euro and I'm getting calls 40c per minute cheaper.

Anyway this is totally off topic now. Point is that having 3 phones between 2 people in not uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Stop being an ignorant jackass,seriously.

• Advertisement

I bought a Meteor simcard for a fiver and a phone for a tenner on donedeal. Topped up twenty euro and I'm getting calls 40c per minute cheaper.

Anyway this is totally off topic now. Point is that having 3 phones between 2 people in not uncommon.

I wouldnt have a clue what calls / texts cost - I top up €10 about every 3 months. There is absolutely no way I could multi-task that much to have more than 1 phone - I remember some lad years ago who everyone thought had a lot of friends because he had his phone stuck to his ear all the time but I digress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I wouldnt have a clue what calls / texts cost - I top up €10 about every 3 months. There is absolutely no way I could multi-task that much to have more than 1 phone - I remember some lad years ago who everyone thought had a lot of friends because he had his phone stuck to his ear all the time but I digress.

Obviously everyone using their phones differently. In this case they had 3 phones, a common thing for people nowadays, be they living along the border or have a work phone and personal phone.

Why are you making an issue of it?

Obviously everyone using their phones differently. In this case they had 3 phones, a common thing for people nowadays, be they living along the border or have a work phone and personal phone.

Looking for an issue where there is none. People like to try to pick holes in things, mostly they have the manners to do some research first.

What? We have got to the stage where having multiple mobile phones is common? Everyone to their own, I suppose. I'm definitely going to bin mine (1) now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

What? We have got to the stage where having multiple mobile phones is common? Everyone to their own, I suppose. I'm definitely going to bin mine (1) now.

Yes! As outlined to you a many a time in the last 2 pages.

Please do, especially if you are posting on this thread from your phone...

• Advertisement

Go ahead. If you live along the border the cost of an extra phone, about 20 quid, easily offsets the cost of making "international" calls. As well as that, people often have "business" phones that they can turn the **** off in the evening. Maybe I'm bragging here but I certainly have the speedy reactions to be able to handle two phones; if one rings I check the first one my hand reaches and hopefully there'll be time to get the other one if I chose the wrong one. Or I'll have different ringtones. I imagine some people's heads can't handle the idea that two different ringtones both represent someone trying to call them.
    I happen not to cross the border often enough to bother with a UK phone but a few years back when PAYG phones were cheap I'd pick one up when in England, 15 quid, credit on it, and that would be me set for a week while a mate would spend 20 on roaming. Things have equalised somewhat but for common usage if I lived a little closer to the border I would have at least two phones and if I needed one for work I'd have at least one specifically for that.

Can we move on please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, really feel for the guy. What does a sex book matter?

Starting to really feel and understand why rape victims are so reticent in coming forward.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

I once had a job that required me to have my workphone on at all times, even during my holidays. I carried my personal phone too...even while at work. One lad I worked with had 4 phones for different roles.

Workphones are a pain the the hole... I know some couples with more than 4 phones between them.

Can we show a little respect for the subject matter please?

Maybe I'm bragging here but I certainly have the speedy reactions to be able to handle two phones; if one rings I check the first one my hand reaches and hopefully there'll be time to get the other one if I chose the wrong one. Or I'll have different ringtones. I imagine some people's heads can't handle the idea that two different ringtones both represent someone trying to call them.

Wow! Do u give lessons? - You sound like a high flyer.

Wow! Do u give lessons? - You sound like a high flyer.

It can't be taught, the fact that you couldn't even comprehend the ****ing idea suggests you're not ready. I dunno where you got the money for a waterproof keyboard tbh.

It can't be taught, the fact that you couldn't even comprehend the ****ing idea suggests you're not ready. I dunno where you got the money for a waterproof keyboard tbh.

Someone donated the computer to me. R u like an entrepreneur or millionaire that needs 2 mobiles? Can you really access the internet via a mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

From the sounds of things they're turning this trial into a Phoenix Wright game. Sad for the family.

Am I too late for the bench?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny show give daily updates
    RTÉ sent a reporter there

There on itunes or here
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

It's a good way to keep up

From what I remember one suspect claims he was beaten into a confession
    I think it's entirely possible he was beaten but I don't know if he is the man or not

How would you ever know if he was the man or not, any way could have been a woman!!

Why would someone change their confession after?

Something stinks

Maybe the government there just wanted so nail anyone to get a conviction?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The husband went through the worst thing I can possibly imagine. His new bride murdered in a foreign country and he had nobody to turn to for support. And now he has to sit through a circus with the two bastards who killed his wife in front of him. Feel so sorry for the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Visiting a place like Mauritius would not top my to do list as you are dealing with savage backward locals who would stuff you in the dinner pot as fast as they would smile at you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Am I too late for the bench?!

I know it's after hours, but show a little respect

thanks whoring at its worst

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

darced wrote: »

It wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Show Time wrote: »
    Visiting a place like Mauritius would not top my to do list as you are dealing with savage backward locals who would stuff you in the dinner pot as fast as they would smile at you.

I think you'll find there are plenty of savage backward locals in this country too. Most of them appear to be posting on this thread.

From a look at Twitter, it appears that Mauritians are extremely embarrassed by the way that this trial is being conducted. I really feel for the families, I'm sure the end can't come soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Show Time wrote: »
    You would also get that in our own back yard. :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/trial-over-screwdriver-deaths-of-polish-men-nears-end-2161882.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As with everything else, and even allowing for the fact that this is Boards.ie and After Hours, I would recommend following the local media (i.e. being just a bit informed before expressing stark opinions) and keeping an open mind::rolleyes:

http://theindependent.mu/2012/05/25/bathtub-disappeared-during-reconstruction/

Note the reader comment! John Morrissey doesn't sound like a very Mautitian name to me. More like someone from the Six Counties who has a thing about Nationalists and the GAA. :confused:

http://www.lematinal.com/faits-divers/17019-Assassinat-de-Michaela-Harte-lenigme-des-biscuits-persiste-en-cour-dassises.html

You can bookmark these papers and have al look at what they are saying without having to rely on RTE.

Naturally, it must be very distressing for the family members, but it is also understandable that defence counsel are exploiting every apparent contradiction, every weakness in the prosecution case to try and get the accused - who are innocent until proven guilty, remember - found either not guilty or perhaps guilty of a lesser charge than murder.

Some of the comments I have read are downright racist. And, we in Ireland are not in a position to wag the finger too much. After all, visitors to this country have been killed and injured, but the local criminals who prima facie did it walked free.:rolleyes:

As for the "sex manual" that the police say they found among the couple's possessions, I have on several occasions given something like that to a couple, who I know to have a sense of humour, as a joke before they went off on their honeymoon. I'll never do it again, just in case they become crime victims and it is used by a desperate defence lawyer in a futile attempt to shift the blame onto the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hang on, even if there were potentially dangerous sex games outlined in the book, her husband was down at the pool waiting on her when the attack happened. Other members of staff heard her struggling/screaming at the time.

I know the defense have to do their jobs. That's fine. But the circus the trial has descended into is just horrible. Why hasn't the judge found those causing it to be in contempt of court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Horrible situation for everyone concerned. Will be interested to see what physical evidence is produced (i.e any forensic evidence) against the accused. I know a lot can probably be explained away but I wonder have they anything concrete or is it all one word against another?

If they are guilty I hope they get what they deserve although I'd hate the thought of someone walking free if they are not. The motive seems clear enough so I see no reason why they shouldnt be the prime suspects. I'm sure a conviction is high on the list of the Mauritian top authorities.

Thoughts go out to both families in the North though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's still totally irrelevant to the case at hand, and doesn't tie in with the other evidence and witness statements. What if they found a DVD of Hostel or some other movie like that? Would they also try using that in their defense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's still totally irrelevant to the case at hand, and doesn't tie in with the other prosecution evidence and prosecution witness statements.

Slight fyp.
    Defence coming up with an alternate theory and putting it to the jury is a valid tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm sure boards.maur had similar threads in relation to our court cases such as the C case or X case or various laughable tribunals.

I can't get over the amount of attention this case is getting. Sure there was an Irishman murdered in Boston last year, no President attended his funeral nor was he related to a GAA manager.

Uh-oh. Hipster alert.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    http://theindependent.mu/2012/05/25/bathtub-disappeared-during-reconstruction/

Note the reader comment! John Morrissey doesn't sound like a very Mautitian name to me. More like someone from the Six Counties who has a thing about Nationalists and the GAA. :confused:
    Jesus H Christ, is there anything these noddies can't turn into a racial hatefest. Belfast must have gotten high speed broadband lately or something. Of all the threads I didn't expect to run across their pudgy pink pawprints this was it, and yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

whole thing seems to be decending into a farce,a real kangaroo court.defence tactic is to muddy the waters so much that nothing is clear anymore.anyone know what % of the jury needed for a conviction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Slight fyp.
    Defence coming up with an alternate theory and putting it to the jury is a valid tactic.

But they haven't really put forward an alternative theory to what happened. All they've done is blacken the husbands name by mentioning the book. As far as I'm aware there had been absolutely no suggestion or evidence that the killing may have been sexually motivated. They were a young couple on honeymoon after all, having a sex guide doesn't even seem to be all that out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But they haven't really put forward an alternative theory to what happened. All they've done is blacken the husbands name by mentioning the book. As far as I'm aware there had been absolutely no suggestion or evidence that the killing may have been sexually motivated. They were a young couple on honeymoon after all, having a sex guide doesn't even seem to be all that out of the ordinary.

Well its the prosecutions evidence at the moment, so theres a limit to what the defence can do to build this theory, other than sow a few seeds.
    When its the defences turn then they can fully put it forward.

It seems that it is ran on similar grounds to a UK/Ire trial. i.e.,
    Prosecution witnesses followed by defence cross, prosecution rests. Then defence witnesses followed by prosecution cross, defence rests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's still totally irrelevant to the case at hand, and doesn't tie in with the other evidence and witness statements. What if they found a DVD of Hostel or some other movie like that? Would they also try using that in their defense?

Possibly.

When this beauty was up for the murder of Milly Dowler, his defence tried to lay suspicion on her father, using his stash of bondage porn to imply he was "dodgy".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi_Bellfield

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

:eek:

*shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

suzzi wrote: »
    The poverty on those islands is unreal. I spent a month in a hotel years ago on one of those "dream paradises" and by the time I left I was sick with what was the norm. The waste every day, the searching of the employees every morning and evening in and out of the place, the wages they got (compared to what you were paying!) was just awful. Never again could I go there and see how a guy had to run after you to rake the beach to make it look pristine and get a couple of dollars a week.....Oh God, it was just wrong. I know they need the money and have a job but the exploitation of the whole scenario was awful.
    So your solution is not to go there so that he gets nothing?
    :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement