Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane confusion at roundabout for new Waterford bridge !!

Options
  • 25-05-2012 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Right am leaving Waterford heading to carrick come to the new bridge roundabout , Left lane has left and straight arrow on road , right lane has straight arrow . Am heading to carrick what lane to be in and what's the correct procedure going around that particular roundabout . It's bloody confusion on roundabout as there are markings actually going across a lane .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

decies wrote: »
    Right am leaving Waterford heading to carrick come to the new bridge roundabout , Left lane has left and straight arrow on road , right lane has straight arrow . Am heading to carrick what lane to be in and what's the correct procedure going around that particular roundabout . It's bloody confusion on roundabout as there are markings actually going across a lane .

Stay in the left as when you get past the roundabout the stretch of road before the motorway the left is the lane for the road to Carrick, I travel that way every day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I dont see the problem there. Get in lane and stay in lane on roundabout and on dual carriageway. Granted, a overhead sign indicating lanes would be better.

What is dangerous is the roundabout at end of M9, if heading from city and in right lane you should stay in right lane on actual M9. If staying in left lane and heading N24, beware as people will assume you are heading left M24 and drive out in front of you whether you are indicating or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

someone will be killed here, its a disaster.
    I have stopped using the roundabout, i go by the ferry bar instead.

the problem is here:
    http://goo.gl/maps/DLvc

nobody sees the sign saying the left lane is only for the toll road
    traffic going straight using the left hand lane
    if you use the correct lane, you will be cut off and pushed into the right hand lane here:

http://goo.gl/maps/r6Ok

after having a near miss last year, getting stuck between a jeep and an artic, i wrote to kilkenny cc and the nra, one blames the other's lack of signage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The left lane has been altered its now for both the new bridge and to continue straight they changed it ages ago thats why there is a broken white line now crossing over the lanes on the roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I think this has changed: left lane is now left & straight on now - following the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭decies

Yes but no matter what lane your in if your heading straight it's bloody dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

decies wrote: »
    Yes but no matter what lane your in if your heading straight it's bloody dangerous.
    ......to make you go across the bridge!

PROFIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's no problem there now lads. It's all clearly and logically signposted. The ridiculous thing of forcing you into the right hand lane when going straight out has been changed. Now, both lanes heading outbound onto the big interchange allow you to go straight on.

The split a bit further out between N24 and M9 is a little bit more tricky now. You're supposed to stay right for the M9 - that much is clear from the signage, but not everyone adheres to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Max Powers wrote: »
    I dont see the problem there. Get in lane and stay in lane on roundabout and on dual carriageway. Granted, a overhead sign indicating lanes would be better.

What is dangerous is the roundabout at end of M9, if heading from city and in right lane you should stay in right lane on actual M9. If staying in left lane and heading N24, beware as people will assume you are heading left M24 and drive out in front of you whether you are indicating or not.

This doesn't make much sense. From that last sentence of your post you seem to be saying people drive the whole way around the roundabout in the wrong lane to take the motorway exit.

When approaching that roundabout from Waterford you get in the left hand lane to head for Carrick/Clonmel and in the right hand lane to head for the motorway, there are road markings there now. I use that road everyday for work.

This is the problem with the split in road users between using the number of exits rule to determine what lane they should be in for their exit -v- the clock rule to determine what lane they should be in for their exit. This really needs to be clarified. The RSA running campaigns about straightforward roundabouts, where each exit is equal distance apart, is pointless, how many roundabouts in Ireland actually operate like that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

S28382 wrote: »
    The left lane has been altered its now for both the new bridge and to continue straight they changed it ages ago thats why there is a broken white line now crossing over the lanes on the roundabout

Yeah I noticed this the other day myself. So rather then educate people hey just changed the paint :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

This doesn't make much sense. From that last sentence of your post you seem to be saying people drive the whole way around the roundabout in the wrong lane to take the motorway exit.

When approaching that roundabout from Waterford you get in the left hand lane to head for Carrick/Clonmel and in the right hand lane to head for the motorway, there are road markings there now. I use that road everyday for work.

This is the problem with the split in road users between using the number of exits rule to determine what lane they should be in for their exit -v- the clock rule to determine what lane they should be in for their exit. This really needs to be clarified. The RSA running campaigns about straightforward roundabouts, where each exit is equal distance apart, is pointless, how many roundabouts in Ireland actually operate like that??

Tell me about it. I drive that roundabout every day on my way to work in Kk, and after 12 years of accident free driving, I was involved in my first crash as I exited the roundabout onto the M9 a few weeks ago.

A young guy in a van (from Cork and unfamiliar with the roads, layouts etc), had come on from the Carrick side, in the left hand lane (signed and marked as exiting on M9 only) but wanting to head for Waterford (clearly marked and signed as the right hand lane), and I came onto the roundabout from the Waterford side in the right hand lane, as the signage and markings say.

We were side by side, me overtaking him as I was moving in a tighter arc around the roundabout, and as I exited onto the right hand lane of the motorway, he tried to keep going around the roundabout and drove into my passenger side :( he wasn't even indicating, because he reckoned he didn't have to, as he was taking the 2nd exit from the roundabout... (back to the no. of exits vs. the clock rule).

He refused to accept the blame, so the guards had to come from Mooncoin. They said they're up to well over 20 of the exact same accident there now, and thankfully they explained to the guy that he was in the wrong...

While it is an unusual layout, the lanes and exits are clearly marked, so people just need to pay more attention to what they're doing and I don't see what the problem would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Very sorry to hear that Barney, hope nobody was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah sorry to hear about your accident, my family live in view of that roundabout and have lost count of the amount of accidents there have been. Thats mainly why we never use it, we were on it the whole time so we knew what lane to be in but you always encointer someone who doesnt. I've noticed the road by rhe red bridge is so busy now compare to when the new road opened first. There seem to always be some one joining the n24 just before grannagh castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I saw something incredible yesterday at the small roundabout just at the exit of Tesco Ardkeen. Someone coming out and turing left actually indicated that they were going left! I think it's the first time I've ever seen someone indicate. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but I'd say at least 90% of the people turning left coming out of Tesco must think to themselves "ah sure most people turn left out of Tesco so I won't bother me hole indicating and the poor fooker coming down towards Tesco can either wait or take their chance that I'm not going over to the credit union". People not indicating on a roundabout is quite annoying in general but I think this must be the worst one in Waterford. I know most of the traffic goes left but it's not something that you can just assume and risk an accident.

Advertisement