Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gatso vans

• 25-05-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody heard anything solid regarding the new vans taking pictures of the rear of vehicles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I believe they have the technology to do so whether they do it or not, I wouldn't take chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have seen the flash from the vans more than once and have never had anything come from it so i dont think they photograph the back of the bikes. however i have heard that the newer vans have front facing cameras but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

the camera looks out the back window of the van..

so it can get the rear reg if you are driving away from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I believe they have the technology to do so whether they do it or not, I wouldn't take chances.

I had heard as much, but hadn't actually seen anything concrete since they came out. It was definitely a new van. I guess I'll find out in six months time........

• Advertisement

they can and do take pics of bikes from the rear, just as they take pics of cars from the rear.
    But sometimes bike plates are hard to read due to their small size/location/tax disc etc.

there are cameras on the front of the van, but that is just cctv for the operators safety. they do not have any other purpose.

the mobile speed cameras can monitor multiple lanes and multiple directions at once (as long as there isnt a barrier in the way, ie concrete divider on a motor way)

this http://video.dailytelegraph.com.au/1540636885/High-tech-speed-cameras is the same technology that is used in the GoSafe vans.
    There are some diffences, such as the irish ones only use one radar antenna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I use to have a tiny plate on the back of the GIXR, had to get rid of it because of these cams. They are pulling you over for this stuff a lot more than they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, recently took posession of two of their finest thanks to the rear plate on the car. :(

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I presume you're asking this in relation to bikes.

There used to be a speed camera van parked out near WIT all the time. When himself was in college out there, he passed it all the time doing well over the speed limit sometimes. He was in college from October 2009 up to May 2011 and never got a fine and it's well past the time limits now to issue one. May not be "concrete" but proof enough for the two of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was out for a spin on my bike with a few others after work. There is a camera with it's rear facing us on the N81 away from Dublin. We all flew by it while over taking and above the speed limit. It's happened before and I never got anything in the post. I hope this doesn't change! I don't abuse it but it just means I can overtake the huge queues of cars going slow and causing traffic build-up when they see the vans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always wondered with the vans if you spotted one and you where "exceeding the posted limit" could you just stop beside it and wait a few minutes then continue on. They'd have an image of a bike approaching at one time and several minutes later a bike on the other camera, how do they proof it's the same bike with a big time gap?

It'll also have the benefit of freaking out the operator, there's no law against checking your bike at the side of a road (apart from motorways but they don't check them with vans).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

There is no camera pointing out of the front of the Gatso vans.

There is only rear facing camera's.

It all depends on which way the van is facing.

The reason most bikers do not get prosecuted is because almost all of the time the van will be facing in the same direction you are travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

The reason most bikers do not get prosecuted is because almost all of the time the van will be facing in the same direction you are travelling.

Not true I'm afraid to say as blade spin says below and also a friend of my recently got 2 points with the rear plate in his car while driving away from the van. Maybe bikes are harder to get a target fix on or the plates angle or size make them to difficult to read.

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes, recently took posession of two of their finest thanks to the rear plate on the car. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

approached one doing 100 in an 80 zone there 2 weeks ago, came around the corner and it was there, slowed down to about 60 by the time i was passing it, havent heard anything yet.

when i was coming back i could see a fairly large camera with night vision and all that jazz sitting out the back window, dont think you could possibly fit such a camera pointing out the front.

im thinking if they did have such a camera they would have only a calibrated image of a bike approaching at speed that kind of looks a bit like mine, then they would have another calibrated image of my bike showing its reg doing a legal speed.

jvan wrote: »
    Not true I'm afraid to say as blade spin says below and also a friend of my recently got 2 points with the rear plate in his car while driving away from the van. Maybe bikes are harder to get a target fix on or the plates angle or size make them to difficult to read.

Thats exactly why I said most......

Because most of the time the gatso van is pointing in the direction you are travelling with the camera pointing out the rear of the van. . .

The only way bladespin would have been caught would have been with the gatso van facing into the traffic with its rear then pointing at the traffic as it drives away. . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thats exactly why I said most......

Because most of the time the gatso van is pointing in the direction you are travelling with the camera pointing out the rear of the van. . .

The only way bladespin would have been caught would have been with the gatso van facing into the traffic with its rear then pointing at the traffic as it drives away. . :D

Fair enough, i can only go on my friends case, the van was on the opposite side of the road and caught him as he was driving away from it therefore taking a picture of his rear plate. He noticed the flash but hadn't noticed the van itself.

Morale of the story, keep your eyes peeled for white vans pulled in at strange angles on the road ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ask to see the "Speed Calibration Cert" for the gatso van in question for that particular day.

If the garda cant produce it in court or says he hasnt got it on him,,then case thrown out and you get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ask to see the "Speed Calibration Cert" for the gatso van in question for that particular day.

If the garda cant produce it in court or says he hasnt got it on him,,then case thrown out and you get away with it.

Wouldn't bank on that, a recent Macroom court challenge to a (motorist's) speeding fine heard:
    "Gardai acting on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions told the court that under the 2002 Road Traffic Act the burden is not on the prosecution to prove that the electronic or other apparatus used to detect speeding is accurate or in good working order."

http://www.corkman.ie/news/id-rather-go-to-jail-than-pay-dodgy-speeding-fine-3098563.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

mb1725 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bank on that, a recent Macroom court challenge to a (motorist's) speeding fine heard:
    "Gardai acting on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions told the court that under the 2002 Road Traffic Act the burden is not on the prosecution to prove that the electronic or other apparatus used to detect speeding is accurate or in good working order."

http://www.corkman.ie/news/id-rather-go-to-jail-than-pay-dodgy-speeding-fine-3098563.html

Typical court rubish, guilty until proven innocent and its ment to be the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even if that could work, it's not worth challenging the usual fixed penalty notice unless it's going to push you over the edge for a ban*. The government know this, the whole system is designed to make challenging it not worth the hassle.

You'll have to engage a solicitor to challenge it in court and have any hope of winning, and if you lose then you get double points and probably a much larger fine.

* and if you have enough points to be near a ban, you really should be careful...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If asked fore,then the gardai MUST provide the speed calibration cert for the gatso camers or lazer gun used to take the speed of the bike or car.

If a motorist asks to see the cert (even on the roadside) then the gardai must provide the cert,proving that the gatso camera or lazer gun was calibrated to be used correctly on that specific date.

Motorists have rights too.

If asked fore,then the gardai MUST provide the speed calibration cert for the gatso camers or lazer gun used to take the speed of the bike or car.

If a motorist asks to see the cert (even on the roadside) then the gardai must provide the cert,proving that the gatso camera or lazer gun was calibrated to be used correctly on that specific date.

I would be very interested to know where your getting this information from?

That bit's simply untrue anyway, they will only show you a calibration label at the side of the road if you ask, not sure even then if they are obliged to legally (but they will usually show it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I went past one a while ago.
    The rear window was facing the direction i was travelling.

He clocked my when i passed him and i got a fixed penalty notice in the post along with the the usual pic of the back of the bike.

2 points and a 80 euro fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

I would be very interested to know where your getting this information from?

AFAIK this is common knowledge...to me anyways, my mates a copper...he's been asked to show the calibration cert/sticker more than once....usually by a shyte in a civic though...theyre usually up to date...;)

tinyjiney wrote: »
    AFAIK this is common knowledge...to me anyways, my mates a copper...he's been asked to show the calibration cert/sticker more than once....usually by a shyte in a civic though...theyre usually up to date...;)

your "copper" mate can show the "shyte in a civic" the calibration cert if he wants
    .. but there is no legal compulsion for him to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

pa990 wrote: »
    your "copper" mate can show the "shyte in a civic" the calibration cert if he wants

There IS if he's asked to...just as he HAS to give his name and number if asked... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ok so the consensus is that the van doesn't have the ability to take pictures from the front, only the rear. So I'm all good. I had heard originally that the new vans as a unit were capable of placing similar cameras in the front to catch both ends of vehicles but we were not arsed installing them. Seems it was true.

As for that calibration ****e, the law was changed for motoring offenses where the burden of proof is on the accused, not the accuser. So good luck with that in court.

A calibration label/sticker is NOT a calibration certificate, they're completely different things, one is to verify the equipment was tested, the other states whether it works correctly or not, do not confuse them, your copper mate has not read his manual in this case, I doubt he's even completed training on the equipment.

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »

There IS if he's asked to...just as he HAS to give his name and number if asked... :rolleyes:

Please prove me wrong by providing a link to the relevant legislation, where it states that a calibration cert for speed meters must be produced.

Because you are completely wrong.
    The garda didn't even have to show someone the speed a laser gun has registered.

Advertisement