Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gatso vans

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

@ tinyjiney

Thanks for proving yourself wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I haven't read the thread but my personal experience of this scenario happened just prior to me leaving Ireland last Autumn. Because of an unfortunately timed overtaking manoeuvre, I ended up zipping past a private GATSO at night time. There was no flash but apparently that's because of infrared technology they now use. I drove toward the back of the van at that was possibly a speed I understand might get me in trouble :o

I understand it was because the camera aims back and as I drove toward it with no number plate showing, it couldn't see me. I understand there is a camera in the front windscreen for security purposes and I would have had to be travelling in the opposite direction for the speed camera to see my number plate. Ultimately, I never heard any more about it, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1y6ycG9zgk

The Flash at 18 seconds into the video attached, does this mean the person in question was caught for speeding??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

mycro89 wrote: »

The Flash at 18 seconds into the video attached, does this mean the person in question was caught for speeding??

no.. it seems to go off for every car that passes, no matter what the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The flash I get is usually stronger

• Advertisement

So Black Wizard and pa990 am I correct in staying that this flash goes off regardless of the speed? Motorist below the speed limit will see this flash on approaching the van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The flash I get is usually stronger

Yeah, much bigger flash than the one in the video.

So if one was to see this "flash" would it be safe to say no offence occurred?

If you're on a bike you're grand anyway cos they're forward facing. I was flashed by one in the dark on an unlit road and it was like a proper big camera flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Correctly positioned tax disc on reg = sorted.

• Advertisement

What is the purpose of the flash as per the video above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Usually they pre flash to illuminate the reg and get a clean shot of the reg.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mycro 89

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Usually they pre flash to illuminate the reg and get a clean shot of the reg.....

Is this a pre flash? Or just the standard flash that offending motorist see? Would points be issued following the flash in that video?

Mycro 89 wrote: »
    Is this a pre flash? Or just the standard flash that offending motorist see? Would points be issued following the flash in that video?
    Not unless you have a numberplate strapped to your forehead

Cienciano wrote: »
    Not unless you have a numberplate strapped to your forehead

Sorry, but that doesn't exactly answer the question?

Sorry, but that doesn't exactly answer the question?
    Well, you asked:
    Mycro 89 wrote: »
    Would points be issued following the flash in that video?
    How can they issue points unless they have your reg?
    I've heard of cameras in the front of the vans, but never at night.

I wanted to know is this the flash that offending motorist see? Or is this a standard flash that all motorist see when passing the van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

To me the "flash" everyone is talking about looks like just a reflection from the car's front lights against the glass. That is not sufficient enough flash to be the one that the camera emits, and from what I know the van's don't have the flash as they use the infrared beam and therefore don't need the flash, unlike the roadside cameras.

The roadside cameras operate on the two picture system and therefore you get two flashes as that is the first and second picture to compare how far you have travelled in that time and based on the markings on the road it is calculated. The van's cameras are a lot more sophisticated and do not use the same system.

The Flash that I am referring to appears to have come from the unit above the doors on the roof? Is it just a reflection of the cars headlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

The Flash that I am referring to appears to have come from the unit above the doors on the roof? Is it just a reflection of the cars headlights?

yes that is the one I was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It isn't a flash, it's a reflection from the car headlights. Every car is filmed regardless.

Advertisement