Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunscreen for dogs???

• 25-05-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My boxer has a white blaze which runs between his eyes and down around his nose and mouth, just above and around his nose the hair is very thin so you can see his pink skin. Last year he was a pup and didnt have such a long tongue so he couldn't reach the sunscreen with it and after a while forgot about it.

This year is a different story, he is able to lick most of it off, I am worried about him ingesting it but still don't want to leave him without it and end up with him having a melanoma a few years down the line. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My collie mix has very similar white markings from the sound of your dogs, between the eyes and all round the muzzle and you can see pink markings round her mouth/muzzle, I never put sun cream on her last year, to be honest it never occured to me but this year I was thinking maybe I should, my other guy is pure black so presume he doesn't need any. Do you get special sun cream for your dog and if so where do you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    My collie mix has very similar white markings from the sound of your dogs, between the eyes and all round the muzzle and you can see pink markings round her mouth/muzzle, I never put sun cream on her last year, to be honest it never occured to me but this year I was thinking maybe I should, my other guy is pure black so presume he doesn't need any. Do you get special sun cream for your dog and if so where do you get it?

As far as I know it's only on the white spots and the thinnest ones at that, I have seen many all white cats with crispy edges on the ears from being sumburnt and melanomas around the face. Last year I just used kids sunblock at factor 50, this year I wasn't prepared and only had adult sun block but the fecker is licking it all off and I am worried about him ingesting it so I am looking for doggy sunscreen too.

People think I am crazy putting it on him but I recently met an all white boxer with a melanoma so I really don't care!

Thanks for that info.

Yeh I would care what people thought, as long as my dog was ok. I actually have some kids factor 50 (for my own sensitive skin!) so I'll see if she takes to that whilst on the look out for doggy sunscreen!

After a bit of research it seems that you can actually get sunscreen for pets, however the general concensus is that all natural kids sunscreen works just as well and is better because it doesnt contain chemicals etc. so that is what i will be getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I use La Roche Posay suncream on my cat's ears, now its not cheap at 17 euro a bottle but its for sensitive skin, no perfumes or anything in it, and it sticks to him really well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sultan (by Boots) do a kids sunscreen called "Once" that only needs to be applied every 8 hours - this, or similar, may be a good option if you can keep him away from it for the initial 20 minutes after you apply it to give it some time to sink into the skin. It's also water resistant for up to 1/2 hours (I can't remember to be honest) so drinking or a bit of licking (after it has had time to sink in) wouldn't be a problem. I saw factor 30 and 50, but I think there is a factor 15 too. Worth a try!

Sultan (by Boots) do a kids sunscreen called "Once" that only needs to be applied every 8 hours - this, or similar, may be a good option if you can keep him away from it for the initial 20 minutes after you apply it to give it some time to sink into the skin. It's also water resistant for up to 1/2 hours (I can't remember to be honest) so drinking or a bit of licking (after it has had time to sink in) wouldn't be a problem. I saw factor 30 and 50, but I think there is a factor 15 too. Worth a try!

I actually have this one myself - I'm very sensitive!! I'm gonna stick a bit on her tomorrow!

Might give that one a try, finally got him to leave it alone for a while at about 4 so atleast he got some protection, not that he was really out in it, but ypu can never be too careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Changing topic slightly, when I had a pet lamb, she got very burnt on her ears and went lop eared, apparently a common thing wth sheep; doused her with calamine cream for days and her ears slowly went back to normal.

Advertisement