Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brunch

Options
  • 25-05-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Given the day that was in it yesterday, I bought a Brunch for the first time in forever.
    I haven't been that disappointed since I bought a bag of the new johnny onion rings a few weeks ago.
    What is it with all my old favourites being rubbish nowadays? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

What is it with all my old favourites being rubbish nowadays? :(

Your sense of nostalgia bestowing upon them an idea of quality and prestige that the simple reality of an everyday sugary snack cannot but fail to live up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Brunch used to have a lovely thick coating. Now you can see the ice cream through the coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

I'm sure it's not that. I asked my mam and she agreed with me. That was after she scoffed half of it mind you...
    But I will not budge on Johnny Onion Rings. My fingers no longer have a strange orange coating that can only be budged by rubbing them with dock leaves (yes - they do have a second use).
    Actually, I'm not budging on Brunches either. Definitely not the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

Brunch used to have a lovely thick coating. Now you can see the ice cream through the coating.

That's exactly it!! I'd have preferred if they'd pulled the old chocolate bar manufacturer trick and just made them smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think it got a thinner coating too. I remember getting a 6 pack and they were coming out looking like ice pops, i.e. they looked solid while I remember them being more crumbly looking.

But it could be as emeraldstar says, and just me thinking they were a lot better, like so many people are convinced creme eggs got smaller. If you had an old wrapper the ingredients listing might reveal a change. I remember cleaning out the front hedge as a kid and finding all these ancient crisp wrappers with really low prices.

Brunches need to be slightly defrosted to be at their best, like many ice creams.

I was at a catering show years ago and the HB stand gave you a little tub with 99 style icecream swirled into it, then they had dry brunch biscuit crumb you could put on top, as much as I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

rubadub wrote: »
    like so many people are convinced creme eggs got smaller.

Ahem!

Now, granted it could be just the US ones... but I dunno...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow, I can't believe that! They're so much smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Now, granted it could be just the US ones... but I dunno...
    it was just in the US, it was in some thread before, the wiki page has the info.

I had mates who were convinced they were the same size as real eggs, but I remember my mother putting them in egg cups on easter morning in the 80's and having to pad out the bottom with tissue as the creme eggs were far too small.

Advertisement