Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the HELL happened at the forty foot last night?! (Sandycove)

Options
  • 25-05-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Was anyone in or around the forty foot area last night? What happened?
    Heard an absolute ARMY of garda cars, ambulances, and a few fire brigades tearing down summerhill road into glasthule around 7 or 8 last night, see on the news this morning that there was some kind of brawl at the 40foot with multiple stabbings, a few of my friends got photos of the area around sandycove beach which was cordoned off... Anyone actually witness this? What happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Err, a fight. You said so yourself.

I was down at Seapoint earlier in the day and there were a good few getting gently sozzled. I imagine the scene was similar all along the coast. Sad, but almost inevitable outcome is alcohol fueled fight later in the evening.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Francie

I was down there last night for a swim. Went around to the forty foot at about 7.15 and the place was jammed and water was infested with jellyfish. There were plenty people sitting around drinking but there didn't seem to be much hassle.

Went around to the other side to avoid the jellyfish. Came back to the 40 foot to collect our bikes about 45 mins later and there were lads standing around covered in blood with pieces of skin hanging off and girls screaming. It all kicked off again on the steps and needless to say we made off fairly fast just as the gardai were coming on the scene.

The papers are making out like it was 2 inner city rival gangs. It seemed to me like fellas had too much sun and booze

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't see it so can't comment properly but I'm not too surprised to be honest.

A lot of people come from all over to Sandycove on sunny days like yesterday and then sit in the sun drinking all day.

There isn't that much room around that area and mix it with the sun, drink, and large groups of lads it's eventual that something like this happens.

I can see a no alcohol policy being brought in around the seafront for the Summer months in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Plenty of gurriers all along the coast filling up on cans and going red in the sun.

I dunno about a 'new' ban on drinking cans, it's illegal anyway no? I'd say the law will be around in force confiscating drink for a few weeks.

Independent said they were from Crumlin and Eastwall, how did they work that out? How would a journalist have access to that info?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

so glad i l left Dublin.

the whole place is populated by DORT types with their annoying affectatious "accents", or you have to contend with the trackie-clad gurriers, with their bad haircuts and acne.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

According to media reports the fight was between gangs from East Wall and Drimnagh. A certain Facebook group springs to mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

so glad i l left Dublin.

the whole place is populated by DORT types with their annoying affectatious "accents", or you have to contend with the trackie-clad gurriers, with their bad haircuts and acne.

:D

So you don't like knackers or posh people, i'm kinda glad you left. Can you tell me where doesn't have either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Another person got stabbed today in Sandycove down by the seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I saw a fb status about this today. Apparently a bad fight involving knives and bottles. One chap is particularly badly torn up. Scumbags altogether :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This pretty much explains why the majority of Sandycove residents dread sunny days, the place just becomes a scumbag magnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

... residents dread sunny days, the place just becomes a scumbag magnet.

I challenge you to name somewhere nice that doesn't...
    I even came across a group of them on the top of the sugar loaf pissed last summer, bottles everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I am pie wrote: »
    Independent said they were from Crumlin and Eastwall, how did they work that out? How would a journalist have access to that info?

If it was two rival gangs, it's possible that the people arrested were already well known to the Gardai and the press for this kind of sh!te.

ollie1 wrote: »

O_O
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

O_O
    Source?

I saw it after it happened.

The guy got stabbed in the arm and then had a bottled smashed in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ollie1 wrote: »

What really causes you to whince is the media reporting bottles, not knives, being used.. ugh.

Anyone confiscating drink would need good back up.. I would not like to be a council employee with one sidekick doing that.

In my view the drink is irrelevant, plenty of people are capable of having a few beers without stabbing anyone.
    The fact that these guys actually carried knives with them says it all.

Is it not illegal to carry a concealed weapon in this country btw? What legitimate excuse is there for carrying a knife around with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Francie

In my view the drink is irrelevant, plenty of people are capable of having a few beers without stabbing anyone.

Is it not illegal to carry a concealed weapon in this country btw? What legitimate excuse is there for carrying a knife around with you?

It's also illegal to drink alcohol in a public place Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Don't think they had knifes. From what I read it was broken bottles that people used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/four-stabbed-in-fight-at-famous-forty-foot-bathing-spot-in-dublin-after-day-drinking-in-the-sun-3118539.html

And none of the being charged with anything more than public order offences. U think at least one of them would be done for GBH???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Possibly some of them were fishing and had knifes for that? See plenty of that sort go fishing and drinking regularly in DL / Sandycove...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why do people behave like that in Dublin ?
    You would never see anything like that in Dundalk.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I challenge you to name somewhere nice that doesn't.
    For swimming hawks cliff/vico baths does not seem to attract much scum. I have seen lads drinking there on sunny days, but not that pissed, and not scum, just lads you would expect to see in dalkey. I saw some trouble at white rock before but nothing major. I just avoid 40ft now, caught scum walking off with my bag before.

My theory on hawks cliff being scum free is simply that some people swim nude there, mainly men, and I presume the scum are put off by this as it is such a small area you cannot avoid it. I would presume most are homophobic or want to act it in front of their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

This pretty much explains why the majority of Sandycove residents dread sunny days, the place just becomes a scumbag magnet.

because nobody from Sandycove would ever dream of fighting? Roight loike?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

because nobody from Sandycove would ever dream of fighting? Roight loike?:rolleyes:
    You did see the word majority? I would expect any scumbags in any area to tend to move away when drinking, in case mammy catches them.

What this 'roight loike' comment, are you being sarcastic and inferring it is full of scumbags, or the opposite?

Some people seem to have this weird black & white notion that you must either be 'posh' or a 'scumbag'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My wife grew up in sanycove and we've plenty of friends who live there, I can honestly say i've never seen anyone from Sandycove fight, expecially with knifes and bottles.

what is with no "o" in your words, are you trying to make a point?

I honestly think its hillarous the way you stick an "o" in a word and think you can say anything as if it's factual. you try to make it like its derogatory.

what is derogatory, is not having a proper education, covering yourself in Tattoos, wearing a football jersey and not being able to have day out with running a muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

ted1 wrote: »
    what is derogatory, is not having a proper education, covering yourself in Tattoos, wearing a football jersey and not being able to have day out with running a muck.
    What is really derogatory is the flawed assumption that only people who have tattoos/football jerseys/poor education will 'run amuck' and cause violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

What is really derogatory is the flawed assumption that only people who have tattoos/football jerseys/poor education will 'run amuck' and cause violence.

It isn't only those people according to the post, but the lack of education does lead to a significantly greater likelihood to be involved in crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It isn't only those people according to the post, but the lack of education does lead to a significantly greater likelihood to be involved in crime.

And we still focus our investment on prisons, not schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭imasmeasmecanbe

I have lived in sandycove for the last 22 years. I think it is fair to say that, though there me be some unsavoury characters in the neighborhood they at least have some respect.
    The fact that these incidents only happen when the weather is nice is no coincidence. I was down that way for my walk the day it happened, didn't recognize a soul as most people I know would move on elsewhere for a swim Vick/white rock etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sadly true... they are like turtle... they hit the beach to spawn in the summer months

Advertisement