Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Magus - The Hunt

Options
  • 25-05-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Came out today and is easily, imho, their best album to date.

There are so many obvious influences on the album. Black Sone Cherry, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Kyuss, Black Sabbath, Early Armored Saint and a whole host of NWOBHM bands, but GM still manage to put their own stamp on it and give it a modern feel.

Not gone on the production, but the music is damn good.

Large chunks of the album, Valhalla Rising in particular, make me want to pump iron or swing an axe :D

But the stand out track, Son Of The Last Breath, is one that is almost a folk rock song for two thirds of it's running time before rocking out in the final third.

Buy this folks, climb into your car longboat and go for a spin pillage.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Class. I'll definitely pick this up in the next few days. Loved Hammer of the North, and this seems like it'll be more of the same: Great metal!

Is a much better album than Hammer Of The North imho. More rounded, more varied, and just sounds bigger. The two tracks I put up are two of the more straight ahead numbers.

Have a feeling that a number of the songs are going to be awesome in a live setting.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Saw these at Amon Amarth and was very impressed. Haven't listened to them much since then but might pick this up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Anybody else picked this up yet?

Am sitting here with Silver Moon blasting from the speakers. The album just gets better and better with listens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Purchased yesterday and enjoy it. In a bizarre way the vocals remind me of Paul Stanley. Am I losing it? :D

yknaa wrote: »
    Purchased yesterday and enjoy it. In a bizarre way the vocals remind me of Paul Stanley. Am I losing it? :D

Are you talking about on Silver Moon or Starlight Slaughter? If so then I can defo get a Burn era Deep Purple or a Destroyer era Kiss vocal style being used in parts of those two songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Got it today. Only gave it one listen so far. It's good but a little disappointing when compared to monument and iron will. It's a definite follow on from hammer of the north.

Maybe a few more listens are required...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

This is definitely growing on me I have to say. Liking it more and more each listen.

I really love the album cover too, it's simple but cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

It's a good album, not quite as good as Hammer of the North IMHO.

The title track has echoes of Thin Lizzy again in my my very humble opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement