Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbeque - Griddle & Pan are rusty, how to clean?

• 25-05-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

The pan and the griddle on my gas barbeque are rusty, have cleaned them with a wire brush and then with a power washer. They still look rusty and am afraid to put food on them.

Can I oil them and will that be ok for cooking?

Is there a way of having them enameled (they weren't enameled in the first place to be honest just cast iron)

Any help would be great, hoping to cook on it tonight :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Put some oil on a cloth & use lots of elbow grease to rub off the rust (try veg. oil)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Goodne wrote: »
    Put some oil on a cloth & use lots of elbow grease to rub off the rust (try veg. oil)

And that should do the job? Will it take the rust away altogether?

Can these be enameled do you know?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

sorry I've no idea about enamel but I know rubbing with oil will remove the rust. A quick google search also suggests that you fire up the bbq & burn the rust off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Soak overnight in a bucket of neat vinegar.

Thats what I do when removing surface rust for a car part or when cleaning off heavy marine salt and scale for my marine tank equipement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Burn it off - always works for us. Just fire up the BBQ, get it all hot, rub with wire brush, cook food, enjoy. Nom, nom.

I could be wrong, but I imagine washing it after you've cleaned it will just contribute further to the rusting.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

^^^^ Nobody ever died from ingesting a little bit of rust.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A chef told me that the very best barbecue taste comes from hot fat on cast iron, rather than steel. Same thing applies to the flavour you get from well seasoned, cast iron skillets.
    Not so sure that rust would add to the flavour though, but it won't do any harm - you just need to to use it more, and be fanatical about cleaning out the ashes.
    Ash absorbs water and keeps it against the steel, and if it's not cleaned out the steel rusts.
    I'd say everybody's barbie rusted after last 'summer'.

Oh for a cleaning & restoring forum/sub-forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Have to say I have been BBQ'ing for over 10 years and I find the best thing to do post cooking is leave all the fat/residue/grease on the griddle.
    Leave it until the next cooking session. Before you start cooking. Heat on full for 10-15 minutes. Temp is off the scale. Everything starting to burn white. Cold water, copper scourer and oven glove and scrub the daylights out if it.
    Cleans every thing done in 2 minutes more heat and away you go.

Simples

Alun wrote: »
    ^^^^ Nobody ever died from ingesting a little bit of rust.

...........am currently writing from death bed ;);) :p:p

What I did was.... after cooking scraped all the used food and BbQ sauce off it, left it on to burn off the residue and then cleaned it off with vegetable oil afterwards. When it cooled I gave it a run over with more Oil on a kitchen roll.

The lack of use over the last 12 months wasn't going to stop me. I'll take more care of her in the future :D

Thanks to all for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I always use a rotary wire brush on a drill. makes quick work of heavy rust, then if im feeling useful ill plug in the power hose and give it a squirt before drying and oiling it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Pity that stainless steel barbies aren't more widely available.

Advertisement