Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitted leaves in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 25-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

This may be a long shot, as I didn't find anything on Google or here, but anyone knows the story behind the knitted leaves on trees in Phoenix Park? I found one such tree towards the west end of the park:
    9Zuyb.jpg
    I'd appreciate any info I could get.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How interesting. I did a bit of a google and like you didn't find anything specific about the Phoenix Park, but I found photos of examples in other parts of the world.

Maybe it's a movement to 'green' a few trees in the winter months. I must say if I had come across them they would have made me smile, so they can't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Fairy tree??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

This is something known as guerilla knitting or yarnbombing, its basically knitting things then leaving them in public as far as i can tell, i read an article about it before, seems bonkers but i like it:)

http://knitthecity.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_bombing

edit: spurious basically answered the question, it is a street art

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Bruncvik wrote: »
    This may be a long shot, as I didn't find anything on Google or here, but anyone knows the story behind the knitted leaves on trees in Phoenix Park? I found one such tree towards the west end of the park:
    9Zuyb.jpg
    I'd appreciate any info I could get.

Pretty cool!
    Where in Phoenix park did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

bladebrew wrote: »
    This is something known as guerilla knitting or yarnbombing, its basically knitting things then leaving them in public as far as i can tell, i read an article about it before, seems bonkers but i like it

Many thanks! I like it as well, just wanted to know more about it. I'll try to find more :)

fonzy157: On the extreme west end of the big lawn, close to the Duck Pond. A lonely tree in the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Thanks- plan to go and check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Reminds me of the "christmas" tree on the Sally Gap road just up from the Glenmacnas Waterfall, a random conifer that got covered in decorations and tinsel for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I went to take some photos of the tree last night and failed to find it. :( Is it still there and I went to the wrong place or have the knitted leaves been taken down?
    I thought it was along the Upper Glen road. Was it visible from the road?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Sorry; the Duck Pond remark may have been a little misleading. I checked my pictures from that day, and it was the first shot I took after the pond, so I thought it was closer than it really was. Here's the rough area where I found it - a standalone tree, slightly off the forested areas:

f1jPD.jpg

Advertisement