Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babys routine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Awful to see this turn into a argument. OP to be honest i didn't know my head from my arse when my babies were only 3 weeks old. Not one single parent in the world can say they know how to do things the "right" way. We are all passionate in how we parent and I can see why we can take things personally. Anyway the only thing I can say is the you and your baby will find a routine eventually. Like all things it takes time. The sleepless nights will not last for ever. And baby will take longer between feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

OP, I'd really encourage feeding on demand until baby is at least 12 weeks if not a lot older. It's exhausting, yes, but it really is what your baby needs for a few months.
    If you're not sure if it's hunger cries or attention cries around the three hours, it may be that baby just wants to be close to you which is completely normal as well. If you could wear you baby it might help.
    If you're bottle feeding, you could get someone to call over and take one feed a day or something so that you could get a good stretch of sleep.
    If you're breastfeeding, I'd highly recommend SAFE (before any tells any horror stories ;)) co- sleeping.

I honestly think it took me at least 5 or 6 weeks before I started getting a grip on reality again. I just stayed in bed with the baby most of the time... I recently heard the phrase "babymoon",which is pretty much what it was! Even if I wasn't asleep, I was resting as much as possible and it really helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

interesting thread, first of all before I start I cant BELIEVE the comments from some people, clearly you wanted to know about how, when the stretching the babies food with come? and if theres a way to do it, i certainly didnt read that you wanted to starve your baby, some people just want to bring other people down for thier own kicks they probably dont even have children, absolutly ridiculas.. anyway..

i have a three week baby ( shes three weeks tomorrow :) ) ... she's going 3 to 4 hours between feeds shes taking 5 ozs, the nite feeds are very hard, my partner started back in work this week and i had the whole week doing days and nites, he'd ovbiously come in and feed her in the evening and change her nappies etc, i'm fairly okay with tiredness at the moment im tired but living with it, her nite feeds seem to be 12 or half 12, ten to three or four and then 6 or 7 it depends really, last night i fed her at 12 and she woke at ten to 4 this morning then was awake till quarter to six exhausted isnt the word, bascially all i can say is i read online that you make the nite feeds quiet to help the baby distuinquish the difference between nite and day, so at nite i feed her by nite light i give her two ozs winding her accordingly then i change her nappy and bring her back in finish her feeding, wind her and lie her down to sleep i do all this without talking to her or putting bright lights on etc, i dont expect it to work any time soon but i'm sure doing that for a few months will help her sleep through the nite soon :) im a new mother and it's all new to me too.. my partner is taking the baby tonight and tomorrow nite so at least i can sleep with being disturbed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Coco, maybe skip the nappy change in the middle of the night unless it's dirty. That rouses them and they stay awake for a while. Nappies are super-absorbant these days, they shouldn't need a change in middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

My baby feeds every hour most of the day! And she's a month old... so yeah... it can be very hard but I wouldn't think of refusing a feed (like some people do by letting newborns cry it out) or stuffing her face so she sleeps longer! lol... I think until they 3 or 4 months they are just too young to be put in a routine against their ways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Mine is just 3 weeks too and I bf on demand, and would say its a best way to go, baby knows best in this case I think. Mine can feed every 1h30 in the mornings and the evenings, every 2h30 during the day and he normally has 1 stretch of 4hrs often between 9pm-1am (not always though :(), that is his routine and I just go along with it. Last week he had a growth spurt, fed every hour from 7am until 4am the next day, was exhausted!!!
    If the weight gain is good and plenty nappies then you know baby is doing right. They are all different, my daughter was such a bad feeder and her weight gain wasnt good that for 4 weeks I was the one who had to wake her every 3hrs and feed her, it was such a struggle that I am thankful this one is so eager!
    I dont change the nappy unless dirty at night either and would recommend co-sleep, I have a co-sleeper cot, so its a matter of pulling him to me and putting him back couple times a night so I dont feel mine or his sleep are too disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

pwurple wrote: »
    Coco, maybe skip the nappy change in the middle of the night unless it's dirty. That rouses them and they stay awake for a while. Nappies are super-absorbant these days, they shouldn't need a change in middle of the night.

i have tried that but she fills them fairly full, she's a peeier like her mam ha ha im just afraid of her getting nappy rash she had that on week one and it cleared using olive oil that seems to be working but im afraid of her sitting in the urine sometimes i can smell the amonina even just a half an hour after ive changed her she seems to pee ALOT:o ill take it on board on a see how i get on with the nites..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

cocoemma my daughter is the same. I remember reading about people doing dream feeds where they fed baby in their sleep. I couldn't do that with her though as her nappy would be down to her knee's otherwise!

That said my little boy you could skip a nappy change after a feed without it bothering him or being too full.

Advertisement