Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach a 4 year old to cross the road??

Options
  • 25-05-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

My 4 year old has recently started playing outside with her friend who is a year older, they love playing on the green across the road from me, thing is the road Inbetween has cars that fly around the corner, and because of cars parked there it can be hard to see kids crossing,

I'm trying so hard telling her every time she goes to get her to stop look and listen, but I've seen her a few times just darting, I've tried everything like explaining what could happen, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears

Anyone any tips on how to teach her, I have personal experience of an accident where a ten year old child ran out in front of me, I was going less than 10 miles an hour, but he was running so fast (from a security guard ) that I ended up breaking his leg,

My nerves are gone at the thought of her out there, but my husband says it would be cruel to stop her going out, anyone any ideas for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

No matter how much I trusted them I wouldnt leave a 4 year old to cross a blind spot. My eldest (7yr old) has just started to cross road on his own, we live in the countryside, gaa field across the road. I still watch him though. Think a 4 yr old is a bit young. Short of staying outside with her I wouldnt leave her out there, I know its harsh but whats the alternative, sorry :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Yeah your right I'm just gona have to stay in the garden :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 3 year old know to wait for the green man and if there is none to stop,look and listen.
    I would not let her out on her own though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

As the others posters say, its too dangerous full stop.
    Even if she did stop/look/listen, if there are cars blocking drivers view, its an accident waiting to happen imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

silly wrote: »
    As the others posters say, its too dangerous full stop.
    Even if she did stop/look/listen, if there are cars blocking drivers view, its an accident waiting to happen imo.
    hi, although you want to give a little freedom and we are all the same I agree with other posters, it's simply too dangerous. I live in a cul de sac and don't leave mine 4 and half and 2 outside the garden. My next door neighbour flies in his car. I have been constantly repeating the safe cross code to them from very young but I don't think they'll really get it til older. I was hit by car myself when I was 7 and remember the adults at the time saying to my Mam that kids don't get their road sense til age 11. It was grand all along years ago we all played together on the street but now there are more cars that are bigger and faster. Best to keep them in the garden. they're still out but safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have to agree, at four years old she's just too young to be able to cross the road safely by herself. My three year old knows to stop look and listen, even when the green man is showing she won't step out until she knows it's safe, but I just wouldn't let her do it on her own yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You could do the Safe Cross Code with her. It probably worked for most of us when we were growing up and for children it's a fun way of remembering what to do at the kerb. Do it enough and the odds are that 30 years down the line she will still have every word of the song ingrained on her brain.

Funny to think that the kids in that video are possibly cuddling their grandkids as we speak. There is a modern version too, but that's lame, nobody even crosses the road. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIluoGcCKNg&feature=related :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

She is far too young to be left play by a roadside. I don't have children myself but I do have experience of kids playing on the road where I live. Parents just let their kids outside (from around ages 4/5 upwards) and the kids just run riot, there is no supervision and driving in and out of the estate is an absolute nightmare. If there are parents there with them, they don't even hold onto their children's hands when a car is passing (the child could easily just run straight out in front of you) which I think is really wreckless. I think it is extremely irresponsible of a parent to let their kids play by a roadside, whether in an estate or not - it is just too dangerous.

If you want your children to play out in the green, then you should be supervising them at all times and telling them that the road or near it is strictly off limits. Otherwise, keep to your back garden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

4 years is really too young i feel they are more capable at six or seven,a four year old would think nothing of getting all excited and randomly sprinting under a car,always hold their hand when crossing its just too dangerous,i know a good friend of mine made this mistake (she wasnt teaching her child to cross the road but took her eye off of her for like a mili second)and thats all it took for her to run nearly straight under a car,thankfully the car stopped just in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My lad is 7 almost 8 and we live very rural and by a VERY quiet road. I drilled it into him, stop, look, listen etc whether it is at home or in town. And he was very good and often even reminded me :D.

However, a few weeks ago he spotted his Dad on the other side of the road in the town near us and I had to dive for him as he did not stop in his excitement. I nearly had a heart attack. So no matter how much you try to teach, kids will be kids..

• Advertisement
Advertisement