Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 yr old Lab dog Knuckling.

• 25-05-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All

Thanks for taking the time to read this firstly. I have a 5yr old lab bitch and she was starting limping on her front right hand paw over a week or two ago. I have since noticed she is now knuckling on it quiet a bit she also has the habit of giving me her paw when she sits now it seems as though her paw is limp when she gives it to me in otherwords she has no power in it to give it to me. Now i had her in at the local vet a week ago and she has given me liquid medicine to help with soreness and stiffness. It def has made her more comfortable but hasn't done a thing for her paw.

Im just putting it out there if anyone has seen something like this as vet now wants to xray paw but dont know if this will solve anything. Hope someone can help hate having my dogs in pain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If your vet wants to x-ray then thats obviously something they feel is necessary as they might need to check the joints etc to see if there is any arthritis or something that needs to be treated.

No one here can tell whats wrong with your dog so its best to follow your vets advice. If you are unhappy with the vet then maybe get a second opinion from another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

Oh i understand that alright just was asking if anyone had a dog with a similar problem and what if any was the outcome. Will defo take her back to the vet once medication is finished if she is no better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Labs tend to have a lot of trouble with their joints and Arthritis. Is your lab in good condition or is she over weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

Ya i have heard this since alright no she is in top condition vet did rule out arthritis as she is very young. Suppose if this forum brings up no answers its back to the vet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

kardarie wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks for taking the time to read this firstly. I have a 5yr old lab bitch and she was starting limping on her front right hand paw over a week or two ago. I have since noticed she is now knuckling on it quiet a bit she also has the habit of giving me her paw when she sits now it seems as though her paw is limp when she gives it to me in otherwords she has no power in it to give it to me. Now i had her in at the local vet a week ago and she has given me liquid medicine to help with soreness and stiffness. It def has made her more comfortable but hasn't done a thing for her paw.

Im just putting it out there if anyone has seen something like this as vet now wants to xray paw but dont know if this will solve anything. Hope someone can help hate having my dogs in pain.

I think the vet wants to X-ray to assess the damage (if any). The liquid medicine is probably an anti inflamitory (metacam?). Go for the X-ray as it will give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. My lab had x-rays on her hips and it showed hip
    Dysplasia, vet had already guessed it from examination and symptoms but I supposed needed confirmation before perscribing
    Metacam for long periods as there can be side effects with prolonged use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

kardarie wrote: »
    Ya i have heard this since alright no she is in top condition vet did rule out arthritis as she is very young. Suppose if this forum brings up no answers its back to the vet again.

I just want to make you aware that arthritis shouldn't be ruled out. My lab had the first signs of arthritis by the time he was 5, by the time he was 7 he was completely crippled with it. Do you have any pics you could post in this thread?

Just another point, what are you feeding your dog and has he had a change of diet/exercise regime at all recently? Foods which are high in protein often have an imbalance of other nutrients which can cause bone and joint problems such as knuckling.

Advertisement