Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building on SCR

Options
  • 25-05-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I had exams this week in the National Stadium and walked there along the South Circular Road. Between Dolphins Barn and the National Stadium there was an imposing enough building on the left hand side as you go towards Leonard's Corner. It is falling into disrepair. I'm just curious to know what this building was used for? It's a fairly impressive structure and it's a shame to see it falling apart. The address on google maps is 241 South Circular Road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

It's the old John Player cigarette factory. Some info here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It featured in some episodes of Primeval, which were filmed around Dublin & environs. Series 2 I think, but Paleontology forum will have details in their archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The warehouses at the back of the buliding (Donore Avenue entrance) are actually rented by a film production company at the moment who've been involved in some big Sky One and RTE productions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

its a shame places like that are faling in to disrepair, while some people are forced in to commuting from ghost estate out in the sticks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Might be in disrepair but it's putting Ardmore Studios out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Coombe Hospital have proposed that it be the site of the new children's hospital (see here). The old factory and the hospital don't have a common border (Google Maps) they are separated by a couple of football pitches which will disappear if the site is chosen for the new hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

richardjjd wrote: »
    Coombe Hospital have proposed that it be the site of the new children's hospital (see here). The old factory and the hospital don't have a common border (Google Maps) they are separated by a couple of football pitches which will disappear if the site is chosen for the new hospital.

Interesting, main entrance would need to be on the SCR though rather than Donore Ave/Catherines Lane.

Pitches aka drug and bomb hiding spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Said I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. There is a building at the end of Morning Star Avenue in Dublin 7. It also can be seen from outside the Grange Inn in Grangegorman. I am wondering is this an old barracks or prison of some description as it seems to be walled in and well protected from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

sticksman wrote: »
    Said I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. There is a building at the end of Morning Star Avenue in Dublin 7. It also can be seen from outside the Grange Inn in Grangegorman. I am wondering is this an old barracks or prison of some description as it seems to be walled in and well protected from the public.

Is it part of the Grangegorman complex? I passed by there on Sunday for the first time in years and there was something going on, loads of families with kids milling around. It looked like an open day, and the "walled in" bit that you can see from the Grange Inn was open (looks like the archway was reinstated). Years ago Michael Collins was filmed further up the road, on the Grangegorman site so they might be the same bit of land

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

stinkle wrote: »
    Is it part of the Grangegorman complex? I passed by there on Sunday for the first time in years and there was something going on, loads of families with kids milling around. It looked like an open day, and the "walled in" bit that you can see from the Grange Inn was open (looks like the archway was reinstated). Years ago Michael Collins was filmed further up the road, on the Grangegorman site so they might be the same bit of land

From looking at Google Maps 3D the building within the walls seems to be totally separate from the Grangegorman complex. It looks like a prison more than anything. Must take a stroll up there and investigate if the archway is open again. Looking on Google streetview there seems to be an outline of an archway on the wall beside the Grange Inn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement