Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasson, Athlone

• 25-05-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    If anyone here is familiar with Glasson village, could they tell me a bit about it? I know there is a pharmacy (google street view!) and several great places to eat, but what kind of other amenities are there? E.g. is there a food shop/grocer/butcher? A newsagent?
    THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Rasmus wrote: »
    Hi!
    If anyone here is familiar with Glasson village, could they tell me a bit about it? I know there is a pharmacy (google street view!) and several great places to eat, but what kind of other amenities are there? E.g. is there a food shop/grocer/butcher? A newsagent?
    THANKS!

Didn't realise Glasson had a chemist. Not been there for a few years. Glasson village is pretty much all about the pubs and restaurants - some of the best in Ireland. Don't think it has much else. There was a Centra/Londis at the filling station but I'd say that's about it. Not sure if it's still there.

Its a village in the real sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Spollen's garage is pretty much the covenience shop for milk/bread type things. It's really not as far from town as it seems, 10 minute drive at most, nice cycle/walk on a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Good to know! For those early winter mornings, are taxis available for the train station? If so, how much do they usually cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Not sure what you're planning there but a taxi from Glasson to the train station in Athlone would be nearly €15 I reckon. You'd also have to book it the night before. There's no taxi rank in Glasson as far as I know.

If you're planning on living out in Glasson you really need a car in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thank you. I may not have access to the car every day so wouldn't mind figuring out an alternative. A cycle may be quite do-able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Good butcher after opening up beside Spollens. Fair play to you for cycling in to Athlone, I wouldn't have the legs for it.
    Check out the Longford/Cavan Athlone bus services they would pass through Glasson and may stop.

Advertisement