Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toplessness

• 25-05-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hi A friend of mine was accused of exposure because he had to change tops very quickly in his car. Is this actually illegal you see people walking around topless all the time?

If someone could please help because we don't know whether he should lawyer up or not.

Full story just for clarity, friend had a job interview is prone to nerves and heavy sweating due to the nerves, so when back at the car he jumped in took the soaking shirt off and put another one on, then he drove away about 5 mins later was pulled over by a squad and unmarked car. Nothing was done no fines, issues, arrests, they said it was mistaken identity and let him drive off. But the fact that he did change in the car does that mean they can persue him and the fact that he had a panic attack at the wheel and has had to go to bed due to his nervousnesses would this give him a case against his accuser and the officers that pulled him over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

That's ridiculous in the last two days of sun I have seen at least 100 men walking around my area without a top on. I don't know the legality of it but if there is a law against it, it's certainly not enforced on Dublin's north side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Very ridiculous. I'll use that joke next time I'm by the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

This was in the middle of a housing estate, but there were no children around or anything like that. So he wasn't doing it in front of children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Did the guards see him or aone oul obe complain or something?? Thats crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

but if there is a law against it, it's certainly not enforced on Dublin's north side.

Are there any laws enforced on Dublin's North Side?

:p

In all seriousness though, you might be prosecuted under S18 of the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act 1990 or S5 Of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act for offensive conduct. What is deemed offensive though will come down to the judges interpretation obviously.

IMO a woman walking down Grafton St topless could be deemed to be offensive where as on a beach it would not be deemed offensive.

• Advertisement

Someone called the guards, while he was driving home got pulled over by the guards. He got changed in the back of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Is this thread a joke? :(

Hogzy wrote: »
    Are there any laws enforced on Dublin's North Side?

:p

Honestly?...no :(

Is this thread a joke? :(

Nope i'm in his house now he's actually in bits with his nerves at the moment. I told him i'd ask around to find out if he's ****ed or not.

I am sure it's no biggy, they are hardly going to convict him now are they? This is a country where murder goes unpunished so I don't think he has much to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Nothing was done no fines, issues, arrests, they said it was mistaken identity and let him drive off.

Am I missing something? Isn't the question answered right there?

But the fact that they told him it was mistaken identity and he said nothing would they not pursue it any further and come after him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Nope i'm in his house now he's actually in bits with his nerves at the moment. I told him i'd ask around to find out if he's ****ed or not.

Well in that case let me tell you what to do.
    Deny everything.
    Case closed.
    I hope he didn't tell the police anything.

Im feckin lost now

Deny everything.
    Case closed.

Na he said nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Deny everything.
    Case closed.

And what if the witness has a video of him? I don't think this is good advice. If men can get arrested for changing their top in their car this really is a nanny state

And what if the witness has a video of him? I don't think this is good advice. If men can get arrested for changing their top in their car this really is a nanny state

If ya can be done for changing your top in this kind of weather after being wearing heavy clothes for work there is something wrong with this country like. I mean come on how many people have ya seen walking around topless in the past few days?

He wasn't arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

So basically what happened is:

1. Friend chancres top in car
    2. Friend gets pulled over a short while later
    3. Friend told it was a case of mistaken identity
    4. Gardai left

How did your friend come to the conclusion that he was stopped because he changed his top?

If the Gardai had stopped him for that they wouldn't have used 'mistaken identity' as the reason for stopping him, he would have been questioned about it.

Your friend is panicking for no reason, 1 he's done nothing wrong and 2 when stopped he wasn't questioned about it.

How he got the idea he'd be in trouble for something he wasn't even questioned about is beyond me.

So basiclly he has nothing to worry about?

• Advertisement

So basiclly he has nothing to worry about?
    F it happened as source said then your friend has nothing to worry about, how he ever put this together is beyond me! Unless of course he was doing something else he disnt tell you about!

Hi A friend of mine was accused of exposure because he had to change tops very quickly in his car.

Who accused him of exposure? Did he imagine the accusation?

No the guards said someone called them saying someone was changing clothes in the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ever hear about thieves swapping tops/jackets around the corner just after commiting a crime? (To confuse witness statements/descriptions)

Guards get a call that someone was seen jumping into a car and quickly changing tops, investigate just in case, cop on that it was just some guy in a suit changing his sweaty shirt.......

Must be all defense lawyers in here who's clients would never do anything like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

One never knows of these situations, as recently a middle aged man was charged with a similar offense while being undressed in a swimming pool changing room. The complainant was the mother of a minor who (minor) was also in the changing room. The courts threw it out but a middle aged man had to go through the whole process as well as being named and his picture appearing in not only the local but national press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Jasus, I better watch out so. I kayak and can be getting changed at the side of a road, not just shirt but everything and then reversed when I am finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Off topic but is there a law against women going topless?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Off topic but is there a law against women going topless?
    If there is i vote we abolish it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Jasus, I better watch out so. I kayak and can be getting changed at the side of a road, not just shirt but everything and then reversed when I am finished.

Please send your location in advance so we can arrange your prompt arrest and processing.

As for the other poster. Man naked in dressing room shocker. What next??? WTF has this world come to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Doesn't surprise me at all, I was doin a job in a ladies clothes shop a while back. The mannequins were stripped off for new outfits when a lady from the newsagents across the street came over to insist the dummies be covered up immediately as she did not want her husband (who also worked with her) seeing them naked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

If there is i vote we abolish it
    You havent thought this through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Doesn't surprise me at all, I was doin a job in a ladies clothes shop a while back. The mannequins were stripped off for new outfits when a lady from the newsagents across the street came over to insist the dummies be covered up immediately as she did not want her husband (who also worked with her) seeing them naked.

I pity her poor husband. She probaly doesn't allow him to buy the Sun either.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Jaysus, lower division junior soccer teams in limerick better watch out.....many a time we travelled to a team who had no changing rooms and had to/have to togg off on the side of the road....they'd want a couple of paddy wagons to haul us all in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I pity her poor husband. She probaly doesn't allow him to buy the Sun either.
    I pity her after all she is afraid of her husband and mannequins.

Advertisement