Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being sued for car I didn't own or drive!

• 25-05-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice, this is a complicated one but i'll keep it as straight as I can. Last year I sold a car to a guy on adverts.ie in August, he came and looked at the car, offered me X amount for it and off he went. Only the details he gave me on the log book were fake.

A couple of days later either him or someone else crashed into the back of another car and ran from the scene. The gards came to my door and I explained the details of what happened, that I had sold the car a few days before, showed them the details on the laptop of the guy I sold it to and gave them his number etc. I signed my statement and had the car crushed (as it was still in my name) and they were happy I was not involved in the incident.

A year later I have now gotten two letters from the people who were involved in the crash sueing me for personal injuries as I am the only link to the car, the gards didn't catch (or follow up) on the original driver. So I'm not sure what to do, I have nothing to do with this and I cannot afford a solicitor.

I was insured on the car on the day of the accident but only because I was in the middle of cancelling my policy and I don't even want to have to involve my insurance company as I could loose my NCB and I haven't done anything wrong here!

Anyone else been through similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

if you have a signed statement saying that the car was not in your posession and the guards saw you sign it then they can't do anything because it will be signed and dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

That's the thing, The garda took the statement and said it would be added to the case file. I have called 4 differant Garda stations to get a copy and they have told me they have no record of it or the crash and I'll have to write a letter to the Super Intentent to follow up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Sounds like a scam and that those doing the suing are maybe mates of the guy who bought your car. So with no record of the crash, who's to say there even was a crash ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I have thought it might be a scam, the guy who bought it seemed to be buying a lot of cheap cars on adverts in a very short space of time. There is a record somewhere his insurance company have it and included it in the letter to me , as in an accident report. The gards just haven't been interested in helping me find the statement I made, every time i've called or went up they really couldn't be bothered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

you need to report this to your insurance company and explain to them the entire story.

As the car was insured technically your insurers are "insurer concerned".

he insurers have the means to investigate and try and get the case dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

So somewhere he was advertising himself as a "crasher for hire" !!

Seriously, if he was buying insurance, then surely the Insurance Company can provide the Gardai with his name, or maybe your insurer would chase this avenue.

So did the gardai attend this "so called" accident or was this merely reported to them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irishcrx wrote: »
    A year later I have now gotten two letters from the people who were involved in the crash
    Say nothing to them for the moment and talk to your insurer.

If the letter is from a solicitor, ask them for a reference number for the Garda file. Then go to the Garda and ask them for a copy of your statement and the details of the investigating officer.

Advertisement