Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analysing keywords/phrases for EMDs...

Options
  • 25-05-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi all. :D

I'm currently working on an Excel spreadsheet which will function as a scoring algorithm for key-phrases.

The idea is that I input a number of factors, and it calculates an overall score, based on the weighting of different factors. The phrases can be used to EMDs, "Sniper Sites", or general targeted keywords.

Here are the factors I am taking into consideration so far:
    • Google monthly global searches according to Adwords Tool.
    • Google search result competition - The number of competing pages.
    • PR of top page(s) in search results.
    • Buying-mode phrase?
    • EMD available? .com? /.net? / .org?
    • CPC - From Adwords Tool

I'm also incorporating bonus points for things such as:
    • The ratio of monthly searches, to search results.

My questions are as follows:
    Are there any other factors I should take into consideration?
    Should I be using "phrase" or "exact" when looking at monthly search volume?
    Of the factors I named, what do you feel are the most important?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm hoping this thread can be useful to more people than just myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

While that's interesting - the issue with 'phrases' is that Google now uses semantics so that it will give a page credence for a search term that is semantically associated to the keyphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

IRE60 wrote: »
    While that's interesting - the issue with 'phrases' is that Google now uses semantics so that it will give a page credence for a search term that is semantically associated to the keyphrase.
    Supposedly but it would be dangerous to rely completely on press release junk. From what I remember, EMDs took a hit with the Penguin update but not all were hit. It is a risky path of action though as an EMD with very little depth could end up getting the entire site or domain nuked.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Take the competition score in AdWords too - more ads = less organic clicks.

Also, you'll need to rate KW's going forward on conversion rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I suppose, to start with, one could subjectively evaluate a phrase, based on the kind of traffic your site needs.

For example, a website that sells personalised mugs.
    "buy personalised mug"
    is better than
    "buy mugs"
    which is better than
    "types of cups"

.. and so forth...

condra wrote: »
    I suppose, to start with, one could subjectively evaluate a phrase, based on the kind of traffic your site needs.

For example, a website that sells personalised mugs.
    "buy personalised mug"
    is better than
    "buy mugs"
    which is better than
    "types of cups"

.. and so forth...

Yeah,...but also, consider serendipity!

gift ideas, gift mugs, make your own mug...

Gift ideas will being more traffic, probably at a lower Conversion rate that "Buy a personalised mug" but may bring a higher Conversion value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

What about LSI?

Is it true that Google is now (since Penguin?) analysing overall content relevance?

Still, for an Exact Match Domain, you only have one shot, so I guess search volume is one of the most relevant factors with an EMD.

condra wrote: »
    What about LSI?

Is it true that Google is now (since Penguin?) analysing overall content relevance?

Still, for an Exact Match Domain, you only have one shot, so I guess search volume is one of the most relevant factors with an EMD.

Google have always analysed all pages for content relevance. Google looks for common threads across pages, and for Content Neighbourhoods.

Some suggest that there is actually no Penguin update!

Advertisement