Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappies

Options
  • 25-05-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just getting some essentials ready for my upcoming arrival and was wondering on average, how many nappies would a breastfed baby go through in a week? I found a value pack online with 100 nappies and was wondering how long that many might last so's I can buy in bulk. Don't wanna buy too many as I know the baby could grow out of the newborn size quite quickly.
    Sorry, I know it's a stupid question, but any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

approx 8 a day in early days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Definitely don't buy too many newborn nappies; maybe a pack of 20. I think I bought size 2 after a couple of weeks.
    They'll go through quite a lot in the first few weeks but for newborns buy that specific size in small packs and as you need them because they grow out of them quickly. It's also a reason for you to get out of the house every second day or so which is very important so you don't get cabin fever.

Most of the chain supermarkets and boots have baby product promotions every month so there's no reason to stock pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

that's very helpful, thanks a lot :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Buy loads of size 3 and about 3 packets of size 2.
    The boots newborn nappies are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It depends on the brand... some hold more liquid than others so you don't have to change as often.. One thing i don't do (that you're told to do of course :D) is wake the baby either before or after a feed to change during the night..unless the nappy is very wet.. I remember on my first i was told to change after every feed.. she was feeding every 2 hours..I went through a million nappies needlessly. Some breastfed babies don't poo that often either.. my 2 year old went once a week.. so it really varies from baby to baby and brand to brand..

Once a month around children's allowance day you'll see all the supermarkets have a baby event where nappies and wipes and some baby foods are put o special..They used not to include the newborn ones but tesco did last month..so it'd be worth your while keeping an eye out for these too

And i wouldn't bother buying anymore than one pack before baby arrives as you won't know the weight so you won't know if you need micro small or size one . . . . and huggies are a slightly bigger fit than pampers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

cbyrd wrote: »
    It depends on the brand... some hold more liquid than others so you don't have to change as often.. One thing i don't do (that you're told to do of course :D) is wake the baby either before or after a feed to change during the night..unless the nappy is very wet.. I remember on my first i was told to change after every feed.. she was feeding every 2 hours..I went through a million nappies needlessly. Some breastfed babies don't poo that often either.. my 2 year old went once a week.. so it really varies from baby to baby and brand to brand..

Once a month around children's allowance day you'll see all the supermarkets have a baby event where nappies and wipes and some baby foods are put o special..They used not to include the newborn ones but tesco did last month..so it'd be worth your while keeping an eye out for these too

And i wouldn't bother buying anymore than one pack before baby arrives as you won't know the weight so you won't know if you need micro small or size one . . . . and huggies are a slightly bigger fit than pampers
    I also found that changing the baby BEFORE a feed made him scream the house down, because of course he when he woke up he was already hungry, and making him wait til I changed him just made it worse. Then if he doesn't really need to be changed after the feed, changing him just wakes him up properly and makes it very hard to get him back to sleep. I know that early on, they poo a lot at night but after a month or six weeks the frequency of poos goes down so if you have a good pee absorbing nappy should do the job for the whole night...

EDIT Oh and I agree with you about the size...I was told that mine would grow out of the smaller sizes very soon...he is 3 months old and he is still fitting very well into size 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Definitely don't buy too many newborn nappies; maybe a pack of 20. I think I bought size 2 after a couple of weeks.
    They'll go through quite a lot in the first few weeks but for newborns buy that specific size in small packs and as you need them because they grow out of them quickly. It's also a reason for you to get out of the house every second day or so which is very important so you don't get cabin fever.

Most of the chain supermarkets and boots have baby product promotions every month so there's no reason to stock pile.

Oh.

Was told that newborns go through lots of nappies, so we have bought about 5 packs of Aldi newborn size. They have about 20 nappies in each pack.

Have we bought too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My lo is now 4 months and still wears size 2 size 3 sometimes but the sticky tabs over lap but they do fit and don't leak. I was given the advice not to buy maybe newborn size as I wanted to buy in bulk to get a better price online, I took the advice and regretted it. I have tried boots, tesco, aldi, lidl and pampers hate pampers always leak prefer tesco and lidl ones but everyone is different. I am breastfeeding also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    My lo is now 4 months and still wears size 2 size 3 sometimes but the sticky tabs over lap but they do fit and don't leak. I was given the advice not to buy maybe newborn size as I wanted to buy in bulk to get a better price online, I took the advice and regretted it. I have tried boots, tesco, aldi, lidl and pampers hate pampers always leak prefer tesco and lidl ones but everyone is different. I am breastfeeding also :)

I totally agree! I used aldi/lidl as soon as I could (no new born 5 years ago!) and found them absolutely as good/better than pampers, but others find them dreadful.

For the previous poster, give the nappies a try, they might be ok. If you could, I'd try to swap a pack for older babies, even if you buy more newborn, not money wasted. I did end up giving away newborn nappies to friends, even though my baby was only 6lb 3oz born!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

See how it goes. They go through a lot in the early days. You'll have just changed them and you'll hear another explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

once your at size 3 we found lidl better than aldi.

and huggies better than pampers at any stage.

Lidl do a 3 for €10 deal occasionally so it makes it very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

In my experience the shape of the child dictates how effective the nappies are. I remember that huggies always leaked on my little boy, but pampers were great. My sister in law had 4 kids and found huggies great on 2 of them, but the pampers worked better on the other 2.

You really have to try and see what works for you - I also found whenever I went up a size that I would retry all the different makes to see what worked.

HTH

Advertisement