Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I register with the teachers council ?

• 25-05-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi all, quick question! I am wondering if I can register with the teaching council without having a teaching diploma? It's impossible for me to say having been on their website and I did ring but got cut off with a 'send us an email' message, which I will. But in the meantime does anybody actually know the answer?

I have a maths degree and am working in a VEC teaching FETAC courses but have no teachers dip.

Many thanks for your time.

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question! I am wondering if I can register with the teaching council without having a teaching diploma? It's impossible for me to say having been on their website and I did ring but got cut off with a 'send us an email' message, which I will. But in the meantime does anybody actually know the answer?

I have a maths degree and am working in a VEC teaching FETAC courses but have no teachers dip.

Many thanks for your time.

Paul

The straight up answer is no, no teaching diploma then no teaching council registration. However there is some grey areas around vec teachers which someone more knowledgeable may be able to respond to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

There was a way you could register with the TC without a HDip but this is coming to an end. It was to provide PLC colleges with tutors with industry experience but no HDip but it is being done away with very soon. So tutors with no HDip cant register with TC and if you are not registered with TC you will not be paid as of september. Ring TC and get the exact date for the cutoff you might still get in but I would not waste anytime if you want to be on the payroll in Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Thanks for the info. I think it may be prudent to stick in an application ASAP!

The straight up answer is no, no teaching diploma then no teaching council registration. However there is some grey areas around vec teachers which someone more knowledgeable may be able to respond to!
    Totally wrong! There is a Further Education registration, nothing grey about it at all. So I can apply no problem. Mean time the section 30 new rule thing does not apply to VEC's or places of further education :-)
    Me happy !!

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Totally wrong! There is a Further Education registration, nothing grey about it at all. So I can apply no problem. Mean time the section 30 new rule thing does not apply to VEC's or places of further education :-)
    Me happy !!

The grey area is when this loophole closes and tbh the sooner the better, there are plenty of qualified teachers out of work.

Glad you got sorted however

• Advertisement

The grey area is when this loophole closes and tbh the sooner the better, there are plenty of qualified teachers out of work.

Glad you got sorted however
    Having spent 8 years in college doing two degrees -part time- I could live without having to do teacher training! If I have to I will, but rather not.
    According to what I know the 'loophole' stays open!!

It's a strange one. I teach in a vtos centre and in a mainstream secondary school. I am teaching the OL MC maths course in both places this year. For the school I need a teaching qualification for vtos centre I don't despite it being the same course? It's madness!

It's a strange one. I teach in a vtos centre and in a mainstream secondary school. I am teaching the OL MC maths course in both places this year. For the school I need a teaching qualification for vtos centre I don't despite it being the same course? It's madness!
    Would that be due to the different structure of the testing of each course?
    On the face of it, it does seem strange but it's a strangeness that suits me fine!

Exact same testing. In fact my vtos students are sitting the leaving exam in the secondary school centre with the teenagers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Teaching is very strange and filled with double-standards. People teaching subjects privately with no teacher training, the same as teachers in standard secondary schools. And parents favouring the private ones just because it's private, despite the lack of ITE.

The situation is similarly unfair at third level, I know someone who walked out of taught masters with very little research content and are now lecturing undergrads and postgrads on both taught and research courses! No teacher training there. That's not to say they're good/bad at their job but it still seems slightly uneven compared to those with acres of experience.

Then at secondary I know teachers with no qualifications who are damn good teachers with years experience, who have little need for a year back in a HDip class. Similarly I know teachers with all the letters after their name in the world and can't handle a class. I know teacher training is valuable and worthwhile, but it needs to be tighten up - either for everyone, or no one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement