Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sample Short Stories?

• 25-05-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any websites with good short stories? I'm afraid I'll get stuck on the day and can't come up with anything-pretty much what happened in the pre :/. I generally get B1ish marks on things like poetry and the comparative but I don't have the most vivid imagination and I'm not the most creative :(.

Any help would be appreciated :D!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

I use this one since junor cert

Today I woke up at 7 o clock,i was as tired as can be i walked down stairs and had breakfast. It was an exciting day. Today was the day of the big final. After breakfast i got in my red car. my dad drove me to the match.. i didnt mind though becuase i love matches it was as cold as ice and the ground was as cold as a fridge i scored 2 goals in the match and we won the match i got man of the match it was a good match. we won the final and we were very happy.

it was the best day ever my favorite part was winning the match. after the match we went to mcdonalds i drank coke and ate burger and chips. mcdonalds was really fun and exciting. on the way home my dad said he was proud of me, i was really happy. happy as santa claus on christmas eve. then i woke up . It was all a dream. the match was today. i ate my breakfast and went to the match. it was as warm as the sun and as warm as blankets. we lost the match. i was as sad as ever. my dad said he was proud i tried and brought me to mcdonalds i drank fanta and ate burgers. it was still a good day after we lost the match even though we lost the match. i went to bed but this time i woke up and it was not a dream.

the end

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Have you ever thought of getting that work of art published or included in a collection of short stories? My God that was eye opening. I nearly went into shock after 'it was all a dream', did NOT expect that! I also loved the details, such as the red car and the road being cold. Truely astonishing, to be honest I'd feel bad taking yours and using it cus its so good bud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Right, all jokes aside here's what you do:
    - Go down to your local library.
    - Go to Fiction Section
    - Find a short story book or an author that writes short stories
    - Read a page or two, if you like his/her style, take inspiration from it (phrases, storylines, metaphors, words, characters) and eventually everything you read can be utilised on the day.

Conclusion: read books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Right, all jokes aside here's what you do:
    - Go down to your local library.
    - Go to Fiction Section
    - Find a short story book or an author that writes short stories
    - Read a page or two, if you like his/her style, take inspiration from it (phrases, storylines, metaphors, words, characters) and eventually everything you read can be utilised on the day.

Conclusion: read books.

best to keep it original or it may seem unnatural and disjointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

skanger wrote: »

Today I woke up at 7 o clock,i was as tired as can be i walked down stairs and had breakfast. It was an exciting day. Today was the day of the big final. After breakfast i got in my red car. my dad drove me to the match.. i didnt mind though becuase i love matches it was as cold as ice and the ground was as cold as a fridge i scored 2 goals in the match and we won the match i got man of the match it was a good match. we won the final and we were very happy.

it was the best day ever my favorite part was winning the match. after the match we went to mcdonalds i drank coke and ate burger and chips. mcdonalds was really fun and exciting. on the way home my dad said he was proud of me, i was really happy. happy as santa claus on christmas eve. then i woke up . It was all a dream. the match was today. i ate my breakfast and went to the match. it was as warm as the sun and as warm as blankets. we lost the match. i was as sad as ever. my dad said he was proud i tried and brought me to mcdonalds i drank fanta and ate burgers. it was still a good day after we lost the match even though we lost the match. i went to bed but this time i woke up and it was not a dream.

the end

Do you mind if I learn this essay off by heart and then reproduce it on the day of the leaving cert.
    it was still a good day after we lost the match even though we lost the match

This was my favourite line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

haha wonderful, gripping story:D

On a serious note, I was wondering if anyone is preparing plots for the short story? I was thinking of doing some or if I'll just make it up as I go along in the exam:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

smithy77 wrote: »

On a serious note, I was wondering if anyone is preparing plots for the short story? I was thinking of doing some or if I'll just make it up as I go along in the exam:p

I'm gonna make it up on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

the end

Holy sh*t. Do people actually write things like this?

smithy77 wrote: »

I'm going to think of one or two vague ideas beforehand, otherwise I'll definitely blank in the exam.

Advertisement