Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun cream for a child with Eczema

• 25-05-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

My two and a half year old developed infant dermatitis at 6 weeks we went to a dermatologist and with different creams etc we have kept it well under control.

My problem is sun cream I have been using Nivea kids factor 50 this Summer and it has caused a dreadful flare up all over her body. I was wondering if any of you knew of a high factor cream which was suitable for sensitive skin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

I used the La Roche Posay one for kids. As he got older I have used the Boots Soltan one for babies and the Hamilton one for Kids sensitive skin (hard to get its an australian one I think)

I found it was trial and error. I think aveeno also do one also hard to get!
    Hope this is of some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

+1 for La Roche Posay Anthelios (sp?) kids cream. I use the 50+ on my girl as I have an allergy to many sun creams and break out in a bad rash so being very cautious with her just in case. Also I use Parasol which I find very good as it is waterproof but I don't have any experience of using it with dermatitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Ww've found Soltan Once to be very good, I think it's well priced as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

La Roche Posay is the only thing we've tried and there's been no problems. My lad has super-fair sensitive skin though, not eczema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Thanks folks will definitely check out the La Roche Posay. I would be very interested to source the Aveeno one as Aveeno Dermexa body wash and cream are what our dermatologist told us to use and we find it super at keeping flare ups at bay and when she does flare up we use the blue canesten sparingly. I have never come across the Aveeno sun cream must do some surfing now.

Feel just awful putting cream on that I know will irritate her but she is a little girl who wants to be outside and who could blame her in such beautiful weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Emcm wrote: »
    Thanks folks will definitely check out the La Roche Posay. I would be very interested to source the Aveeno one as Aveeno Dermexa body wash and cream are what our dermatologist told us to use and we find it super at keeping flare ups at bay and when she does flare up we use the blue canesten sparingly. I have never come across the Aveeno sun cream must do some surfing now.

Feel just awful putting cream on that I know will irritate her but she is a little girl who wants to be outside and who could blame her in such beautiful weather

There's a range called avene ( similar to la Roche posay) that only a few pharmacies do - pm me if u want details of one in south dub! They do sun cream - regular and a mineral one. The pharmacies that have it have small free sample sizes u could try before buying - I.e do a patch test to see if she reacts?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Le Roche Posay is great but expensive.
    The boots Soltan is half price in Boots at the moment,I use it for my 3 year old and ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

http://www.soft-skin.co.uk/products.php?cat=17

I know you can't get the baby version here, I got it in Italy a few years ago, but I did get a few samples of the adult version here, can't remember where could have been mCcabes pharmacy, but i have purchase from above site at some stage also. Postage is a bit steep
    Aveeno also recommended to me by dermatologist in Crumlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We use la roche posay as well on our smallie with excema. It's good, no reaction, and easy to apply. I didn't know there was an avene one. We use the avene moisturisers on her without flareup, so I think the sun cream would probably be ok as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

pwurple wrote: »
    We use la roche posay as well on our smallie with excema. It's good, no reaction, and easy to apply. I didn't know there was an avene one. We use the avene moisturisers on her without flareup, so I think the sun cream would probably be ok as well.

Yeah haven't tried it myself - but I heard its extremely popular in Spain and Portugal etc! Must be alright - and yeah it's geared towards sensitive skin too. But u know I think the price tag is as bad as la Roche posay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Thanks guys for all the replies I purchased the La Roche Posay kids factor 50 - 19 euro for 100 mls which wasn't too bad I thought as it will probably last her all Summer with our weather :-)

Using it for 2 days and so far so good !!

Advertisement