Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affection a Pet Gives....

• 25-05-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds a bit daft but here goes......

In the last seven years of my life I've been privileged to have had the company of a dog and two cats. This came in the respect of an elderly person's demise and their Will. (:()

The human's have come up short in my opinion. (pound, put down, ya di ya) The pet's have come out with dignity and have given love, companionship and most of all a bond of friendship as far as I can see.

Never ever, please, doubt the love of a pet. My sister has adopted a dog who gives her unconditional love (and, duly, returned) and I have a feral mad cat who gives me unconditional company, love and "looks".....

Just a mad thread that I wanted everyone to know.....I used to be afraid of cats. Family thing. But now I know it's not that scary out there.

Not exactly a thread to kaboom!!!!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Funny, my wife and I were talking about this very subject on the way home in the car 30mins ago.
    We've had two of our three cats since they were kittens and the amount of affection they show us is ridiculous.
    The third was a stray who adopted us and, even though she's still fairly skittish and won't allow us pick her up and let's us pet her on her terms, she can be incredibly affectionate in her own little peculiar ways - the funniest being when she sits looking at us and makes little chirping noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Sounds a bit daft

not even one little bit :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I met a guy & his three dogs in the park the other day & he said that any one if then had shown him more love & affection than his wife and three kids did in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

not even one little bit :cool:

Ah thanks so much...never was brought up with cats and over a long time got a lot of stick....anti-cat.....my sister took the dog (papers, vac's,) and I took the poor mouse catcher......she just is the most adorable slob.....hope it might make some people who need a hug or "that look" just go into a pound......:)

Not doing this for any alternative reason......:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Dogs by their nature are loyal and affectionate and I them like for that.
    Cats are more individualistic. They do range from the totally self-absorbed to as the OP wrote full of "companionship".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

[QUOTE hope it might make some people who need a hug or "that look" just go into a pound......:)
    ...:)[/QUOTE]

What a lovely thing to say and a lovely way to say it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I grew up with pets (loads!) and it's the one thing I really missed moving up to Dublin. Now I have myself a little hamster and although you'd think they're not the type of pet to give affection, they so are. Any pet can do that, I think. Just a word for anyone out there who might feel a bit daunted by the commitment to a dog or cat- it is a big commitment to any pet, obviously, but having my hamster around has done wonders for my own mental health. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh, I'd agree with this.

Lived alone for many years with two cats for company. One was very affectionate, and loved cuddles. The other? Well, let's just say he was a very individual cat who had his little quirks. But he always knew when I needed company, and he would sit with me for hours. I can remember studying for my PM exams. I would sit with the books and notepaper and the cat would sit right beside me. It was almost as though he was making sure I studied! :D

Sadly, both have now gone to Rainbow Bridge. But I have a Shih Tzu who at the moment is snoozing contentedly on the sofa watching me type. Occasionally, he'll let out a big sigh of (what I hope is) contentment.

I think people who don't have animals are a little strange anyway! :D I wouldn't be without my animals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My boyfriend and I call our dog "the lifesaving dog."
    When we found him I was in a dark place battling depression. Things just seemed to be getting worse and worse each day and try as I could, I couldn't win. I was living alone and finding myself hopelessly lonely and uninterested in maintaining relationships with anyone.

One day himself was minding his sisters dog and we brought him for a walk in the park. While there we saw a tiny puppy running around. We watched him for a while trying to see who owned him. Then he ran straight out of the park, onto the road, causing a car to skid and nearly hit him. The annoyed passenger got out, yelled into the park "Anyone on this f**king dog??" when no one answered he threw the puppy full force over the high pointed fence back into the park.

I bolted over to the little thing, thinking he could have broken his back. Thankfully he was grand. So I told the OH I was bringing him back to mine to report him as found and give him some food and water (he was in bits, looked like he was sleeping rough for a while).

After putting up ads online, contacting gardai etc the vet confirmed he was most likely a dog from the local halting site. They continuously got escaped dogs from there, no one ever claims the poor things. He also confirmed the pup had serious damage done to his tail by a bad docking and probably hadn't had a full meal in his life.
    At that point I said to the OH "I want to give this dog a happier life" and we decided to keep him.

"Manny" got me out walking every morning, got me out socializing (with people on walks, in puppy parks etc) and changed my life completely. The loneliness was suddenly gone cause I had someone in the house to speak to at all times. We developed an amazing strong bond, I swear he knows me better than my family. He brought me back from a dark place, got me laughing again and I fully credit the love of my little puppy for saving my life.

As of tomorrow, the 26th of May, it will have been 1 year since he found me. My little guardian angel of a dog. Never ever underestimate the love a dog can give, it's more powerful and pure than any other love in this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Got Blossom over 2 years now. She's an older girl, from a rescue. I've had a particularly tough year of it between closing my business and splitting with my partner, but through it all Blossy's been a little treasure. All she wants is little walk in the morning, a half decent walk at night and in return I get endless affection, company, and a watcher over my house. Dogs pretty much rock. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

bubblefett wrote: »
    As of tomorrow, the 26th of May, it will have been 1 year since he found me. My little guardian angel of a dog. Never ever underestimate the love a dog can give, it's more powerful and pure than any other love in this world

Wow! Great story! Makes me appreciate my dogs even more.

Ah this is great to read....Bringing the (kids - my daughter's name for the kittys) cat's west this weekend so they can go out but they don't stray far anyway.....

Hugs to all the dog and cat lovers out there......we all need them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Have my 2 rescue cats 5 years now. I can't imagine not having them. They are so different in their personalities but each brings so much joy.

Girl is a gentle soul who loves nothing more than snuggling up in the towels in the hot press in the evening and just happy in her own company. When she is content her purrs are so loud it's scary.

Boy is a fiesty buck who does be stuck to my lap 24/7. He just craves (and gets) hugs and kisses on demand. He winges if he cannot get to sit where he wants - usually where a human will pet him to death. Try to pick him up though and it's another story - I have the scars to prove it.

They always end up congregating at the bottom of our bed at some stage in the night. Only time when the seem to tolerate each other even though they are litter mates and have never (except for vet visits) been apart from each other since they were kittens.

Cats are aloof with strangers but you will only understand them when you own one.

The affection they give is just soooooo worth it.

I never understood a cat until I had one.....They pick you.....end of story....

Mad stuff but so endearing when you are picked.. you feel like you are the "chosen" one.... if that makes sense?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I adore cats, all animals really, my grandads (Both now dead) had dogs for the typical country side needs but both ended up with a cat following them around.

It's amazing on both sides, human and animal, the potential for showing love.

I adore cats, all animals really, my grandads (Both now dead) had dogs for the typical country side needs but both ended up with a cat following them around.

It's amazing on both sides, human and animal, the potential for showing love.

I can identify with your comment...we have the ultimate "stalker" cat.....insisted on following her owner and he just couldn't not love her despite his prostrations of not liking cats....I think sometimes it's perceived for a man not to love a cat but honestly......they do really!;)

ps....I love your last comment!

I think sometimes it's perceived for a man not to love a cat but honestly......they do really!;)

I think it's only those who've never had a cat that don't, any man that's had a cat knows the shared love of seeing those ears level out while scratching the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

When people stroke a dog or cat our brains release oxytocin. That's the bonding hormone that we release during sex, during and immediately after childbirth and during breastfeeding, or when being breastfed as infants. It's known as the bonding hormone and is a major part in helping us love our partners and children. So when we stroke our pet we feel a very similar love to that of a mother feeding her infant. I don't know about cats but studies have shown in the last few years that dogs also release this hormone when being stroked so they are feeling a very similar bond to us that we feel to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

bubblefett wrote: »

This brought a tear to my eye. Well done you, and well done to your lifesaving dog :)

iguana wrote: »
    When people stroke a dog or cat our brains release oxytocin. That's the bonding hormone that we release during sex, during and immediately after childbirth and during breastfeeding, or when being breastfed as infants. It's known as the bonding hormone and is a major part in helping us love our partners and children. So when we stroke our pet we feel a very similar love to that of a mother feeding her infant. I don't know about cats but studies have shown in the last few years that dogs also release this hormone when being stroked so they are feeling a very similar bond to us that we feel to them.

I've seen bits on the news about nursing homes having a cat for the residents to interact with, such positive interaction between the two wasn't lost on the staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's a strange thing with humans and pets - I've got a mother cat who was the best mother ever, she and the 2 kittens I kept adored each other and were never apart. Now the kittens are nearly a year old and lately the bonds between them seem to be breaking down a bit, and all of them are turning more and more to me for affection and attention. There's something about the relationship with a human that is more attractive to them than each other. Though the mother cat adores the dog, and would rather be around him than any of the other cats. Weird interspecies politics.

All the pets have brought so much into my life, and ask for so little in return.... especially the cats, dog is going thru a difficult adolescence but he's my best buddy.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I live on my own and have a rescue cat. She is the most affectionate animal I have ever had the pleasure of owning. She makes my house a home and I can truly say I would be lost without her company. Some people who don't know cats think they are selfish but that is so untrue. The bond between your cat and you and is so unique and special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

This is a nice thread :)

My dog Buffy is so affectionate too, she runs out to greet the car coming down the driveway, she invites herself into the kitchen :D What touched me the most though is that she knows when you're upset. A few times I've been down and had a wee cry on the step and she just comes over and sits with you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I never understood a cat until I had one.....They pick you.....end of story....

Mad stuff but so endearing when you are picked.. you feel like you are the "chosen" one.... if that makes sense?...

I always tell people I was owned by my cats. They treated me as the hired help!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭emuhead

Our family dog was put down a couple of weeks ago and I am shocked at how much it is like losing a person and how upset I've been :( He was always very calming and affectionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

This is a nice thread :)

My dog Buffy is so affectionate too, she runs out to greet the car coming down the driveway, she invites herself into the kitchen :D What touched me the most though is that she knows when you're upset. A few times I've been down and had a wee cry on the step and she just comes over and sits with you. :)

I know I've posted already but this post just reminded me of my cat I had when I was a teenager. He was always waiting for me at the gate of my house when I came home from school.

The routine was to lift him up and bring him into the house for about 10 mins - that's all my mother would allow him in for before dinner time. He would be put out again until dinner was over and I was allowed to bring him back into the house (kitchen only as my ma hated cats).

I never followed the soaps etc. in the late 80's as I spent all my time in the kitchen playing with the cat. Usually lying on the floor with the cat on top of me - I know........ but I have great memories of that cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

My 13 year old black lab died 4-5 weeks ago and he is still the last thing i think about every night before i go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I had a bad day today and my dog made me really LoL at least 5 times.
    I was training her to beg last night.....it didn't go well but today I came in from
    trying to unblock the drains(yes loads of sh1t) and she sat there in the beg pose looking for a treat.:)

My dog is young but pulls up a front paw on the side facing me to kind of ask WTF when she is not sure what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Aww this thread has me all weepy! :o

It is amazing though, the affection an animal can give. I've had 3 or 4 dogs growing up and I can say that the younger one we have now (we have 2) is the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. He just wants to be with you. Even if you walk outside for a couple of minutes he'll follow you up and just stand there wiggling his little tail. He's a 5 year old German Shorthaired Pointer and unfortunately his tail was docked before we got him. Sometimes he wanders inside, jumps up on the couch beside whoever is there and puts his head on their lap. He's happy enough just to sit there. :D

One time we had an English Pointer who was fiercely protective of me. I do remember one day I was out in the back garden and 2 strays appeared at the back gate and started barking so the dog used his nose to push me to the back door away from the 2 strays at the gate. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:)

Advertisement