Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affection a Pet Gives....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I've seen bits on the news about nursing homes having a cat for the residents to interact with, such positive interaction between the two wasn't lost on the staff.

In the couple of years before my grandmother died, she wasn't always in the best of form. But you could always distract her or cheer her up a bit by talking to her about the dogs in the house or by telling one of them to sit on the chair with her. She was 99 years old when we got the pups and I'd ask her to keep an eye on them while I was in the kitchen. Nothing major, but it made her feel included and meant that if one of them disappeared somewhere they shouldn't, she'd let out a shout to me.

When we realised that Rosie, our rescue dog, was pregnant after we got her, it was a big scary deal. But having those six pups meant that my grandmother had little creatures to be rubbing and if she got cranky, I'd talk to her about how cute they were and she'd agree and she'd get a little less cranky.

Only for Rosie and the two pups we kept, Meg & Jack, it would have been a lot difficult to care for my grandmother. Never underestimate the effect a pet can have on an elderly person and never underestimate the effect an elderly person can have on a pup. My grandmother wasn't very mobile but she helped them get used to being handled, being grabbed at and on the couple of occasions where she nearly sat on them. She used to grab them to give them kisses and they were happy to receive and give them. She loved them and they loved her and Jack would wait outside her room most mornings until we went in to get her up for the day.

We were lucky in that she took to her bed the week before she died so she was at home in her own bed when she passed, so we were able to be with her and the dogs were lying on the bed beside her too. It felt fitting for them to be there too at the end, y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Just got a whole lot of purr's there and a big turn over for the scratch (as usual)...

I was missing my daughter (working away for the summer) but I feel so much better now!......

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

My girlfriend always wanted to get a dog. I had no real interest but as she wanted one we decided to go for it. So after a lot of research we settled on a golden cocker spaniel. To be honest I was still on the fence. When she turned up with Honey I was completely hooked. She is the most amazing dog, 2 yrs old now. So affectionate, always happy to see you and just a great friend. She's now curled up beside me.

I never thought I'd feel this way about a dog but if anyone reads this who are not sure about getting a pet, just go for it. You'll be surprised how much companionship you get from them.

I love this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

.hope it might make some people who need a hug or "that look".:)

Awesome folks!!!

You gotta love "the look" :) I usually get daggers if I wake up my furry fella but it's then followed by a wobbly sleepy walk over towards me, followed by a good head butt and a bit of a lick before he turns his arse to me again and slumps in on top of me in the couch for another snooze and a good cuddle ... It's the sleepy slobbery look of love!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I don't know about other pets but dogs seem to even like people the treat them bad.
    I think with dogs you get way more back than the effort it takes to just do the basics like food/walking and a bit of training.
    I find a dog is most happy when the owner is happy.....so the dog tries to make you happy.
    Then again I am happy when my dog is happy.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

Fantastic thread!
    I have grown up with animals all my life and couldn't imagine my life without them. Definitely agree with one poster that says that cats "choose you" we have 5 cats at the moment and even though i love them all there is one that is the most affectionate with me. One cat doesn't really like me (ie. Jump up to my windowsill ) but adores my brother!!

I have 4 dogs and i swear just seeing them wagging their tails to see me after work just makes the day seem more bearable.

I have the utmost respect for animals of any type and i truly believe they can be life savers. They have been for me. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Every now & then my dog won't sit or settle; and will hop up & down off the couch or stare at you in the armchair until you come & sit with her on the couch. Then she will worm her way until her ear is over your heart & she can hear it beating; and she will give a big long happy sigh; and go to sleep there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

LucyBliss wrote: »
    We were lucky in that she took to her bed the week before she died so she was at home in her own bed when she passed, so we were able to be with her and the dogs were lying on the bed beside her too. It felt fitting for them to be there too at the end, y'know?

Aww LucyBliss i remember you posting about her last year and i absolutely fell in love with the photo you posted. I hope you dont mind me linking it. It melted my heart. Pic was from this thread and your pic is bottom left ;)

mycollage9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

anniehoo wrote: »
    Aww LucyBliss i remember you posting about her last year and i absolutely fell in love with the photo you posted. I hope you dont mind me linking it. It melted my heart. Pic was from this thread and your pic is bottom left ;)

mycollage9.jpg

Oh that reminds me of the virtual pet show, is it too soon to have another one?? :p

For me my pets make a world of a difference to my life, I really couldn't live without them. When I'm feeling crappy there's always the cat to cuddle, a few purrs and nudges can really lift your spirits, or a fool of a dog to laugh at (he's not really a cuddle monster). When I'm angry and just pissed off at everyone I can just bring the dog out for a walk in the fresh air and it calms me right down. They give me structure, purpose to life and a routine to follow.

Maybe others wouldn't appreciate it but being woken by a purring cat licking my face, eating my hair or nudging me to lift up the covers to crawl in is a nice start to the day! :D Then there's the unconditional love and affection and the indifference to pretty much everything, they don't care what you look like, who you are, how much money you have (or don't have), how you dress or any of the other silly things us humans judge each other on.

If there were no pets in the world it really would be a sad, lonely place. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

anniehoo, I don't mind at all. That's so sweet of you to remember. Thank you.
    They give me structure, purpose to life and a routine to follow.

Maybe others wouldn't appreciate it but being woken by a purring cat licking my face, eating my hair or nudging me to lift up the covers to crawl in is a nice start to the day! Then there's the unconditional love and affection and the indifference to pretty much everything, they don't care what you look like, who you are, how much money you have (or don't have), how you dress or any of the other silly things us humans judge each other on.

If there were no pets in the world it really would be a sad, lonely place.

I completely agree. I got those dogs about six months after having major surgery and I know for a fact that my recovery was quickened by the fact that I had no real time to be worrying about myself when they had to be minded and trained. Not to mention the fact that I was being showered by this unconditional love and affection and them not caring that I now had an illeostomy. They did more for me than any medication ever could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cats are great indeed, mine follows me every step, sleeps in the bed with me, either in my arms or on the pillow, with his head next to mine.

Have to keep him in for a few more days, since we moved house, seems he doesn't mind, as long as I'm at home.

he ran back to the old house already, on the third day, a neighbor spotted him around the house, I went over and he came flying towards me, crying like a baby. I guess, he adores me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

K.C wrote: »
    My girlfriend always wanted to get a dog. I had no real interest but as she wanted one we decided to go for it. So after a lot of research we settled on a golden cocker spaniel. To be honest I was still on the fence. When she turned up with Honey I was completely hooked. She is the most amazing dog, 2 yrs old now. So affectionate, always happy to see you and just a great friend. She's now curled up beside me.

I never thought I'd feel this way about a dog but if anyone reads this who are not sure about getting a pet, just go for it. You'll be surprised how much companionship you get from them.

I love this thread!

Such a similar scenario. My girlfriend at the time (now fiancee) wanted to get a cat but i really didn't. But like most things in life women win out and we got Isabel.

She is the best cat in the world, follows your everystep around the house when your outside and loves playing fetch with balls/straw.

She wont go near our bed till it's dressed and then s soon as your finished dressing it she will happily get an hours sleep.

She is fascinated by the washing machine and will following the spin around with her paws.

When the OH isusing he latop at night Issy will climb up and get between her and the laptop.

She knows when your about to give out to her and when she has been bold.

Really glad I gave in 4 years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

I Had my Tilly a year and a half when he ran away- and never came back. I cried like a little baby, that cat was like my child and my husband and i were heartbroken. Declared id never get another cat again!

A year and a half later we adopted Fudge- and i cried the 1st night we had him as i felt guilty- like i was replacing Tilly. But 6 months on the little bugger has made us very happy- hes spoilt rotten though. And he does the weirdest things. He likes to make a tunnel out of our bedcovers- id have the bed freshly made and he would pull at the covers and make a little cave- then pop his little head out when you came into the room:D

When im lying on the couch and he comes over and climbs onto me and falls asleep across my chest he makes the cutest little purrs:)

I've had dogs before and have always adored them to be honest with you so I can relate 150% to this thread and all the posts in it.

My last dog was 19 years old and died in my dads arms naturally, absolutely heartbreaking to say the least. Locked myself in a room for 3 days and didn't do anything!

Told myself I'd never get another dog as the pain is just too much when they go!

Fast forward a couple of years and I just had to get another dog (which I knew I always would!) My dog is an Akita (10 months old, got him from a breeder in the UK) and they're not really known to be overly affectionate dogs but this guy would be lost without myself or my girlfriend as he just relies on us both so much and literally would do anything for either of us. It's endearing to see such a strong, proud breed literally be so lost without you, challenging dogs but incredible companions, like all dogs really.

I know Cesar Millan has his haters out there but I received a copy of his first book and there's an excellent chapter in it dedicated to dogs and the life cycle, and what they live for, and how it's always in the present. Basically, dogs help humans deal with life and death and we as humans can learn from dogs how to deal with life and death...better !

It's the same for all animals though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We have 4 guinea pigs, and although you cant really put them in the same category as a dog or a cat, they are still more than capable of showing affection.

Its so lovely when you have them out on your knee and they lick your fingers. Or they stretch out, give a big yawn and get comfy and fall asleep. Or their welcoming squeaks at dinner time.

I love all of my little fat fur babies and will be pretty mortified when they pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

We have 4 guinea pigs, and although you cant really put them in the same category as a dog or a cat, they are still more than capable of showing affection.

Its so lovely when you have them out on your knee and they lick your fingers. Or they stretch out, give a big yawn and get comfy and fall asleep. Or their welcoming squeaks at dinner time.

I love all of my little fat fur babies and will be pretty mortified when they pass on.

Oh, sounds so lovely, my daughter would love a guinea pig.....But with the cats not such a good idea.....I love the thought of the little squeaks....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

Getting loads of company from my cat at the moment - I'm home on my own and everywhere I go she sits beside me even watching tv with her paw on my lap. :)....Good not to feel so alone.

Advertisement