Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part-time Degree?

• 25-05-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows if I can do an English degree part time. I'm already a secondary teacher and want to add a subject. Just want to know what the options are to do it part-time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

Anyone?! thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can do English and History part time through Oscail (DCU).

Check out oscail.ie for more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

zero_ wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows if I can do an English degree part time. I'm already a secondary teacher and want to add a subject. Just want to know what the options are to do it part-time.

Thanks

BA Part time in UCD. But you need to apply immediately because the end of June/start of July is almost always the annual deadline.

BA Evening Part time, UCD. Contacting the School of English as well as the Part Time BA office in UCD (bapartime@ucd.ie)to ascertain whether English will be an evening BA subject for the forthcoming year should be your next step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You need to research this to find out what suits you best.

You dont say if you wish to attend somewhere on a part time basis or study english as a distance learning degree where you do not attend classes. There are loads of options. Some institutions will be more highly regarded than others.

A good start is to decide how you want to study, then where (as in, an Irish institution or a UK/otherwise one), and get googling.

I am aware that University of London offer a BA in English, no classes to attend, exams only (in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

Thanks for replies. I already have a BA in hist/Geog and just want to do one subject to degree level part-time. I'm unsure if this is possible with English.
    Just wondering can I do a part-time course in English in UCD or Open University that the Teaching council will recognise as an extra subject?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

That UCD link says the only subject offered on this years evening BA is Art History. No mention of english. Yes it won't be a problem being qualified to teach it once it takes up 30% of your modules in your final 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

zero_ wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I already have a BA in hist/Geog and just want to do one subject to degree level part-time. I'm unsure if this is possible with English.
    Just wondering can I do a part-time course in English in UCD or Open University that the Teaching council will recognise as an extra subject?

It is possible is the short answer. It is done by degree-level credits now: to be registered as a teacher of a subject with the Teaching Council you need to have 54 credits from 2nd and 3rd year, or rather from stage 2 and stage 3 of the BA. 54 credits = 30% of the 180 credits which constitute a BA in UCD. At least this is the case with the TC's requirements from a UCD BA.

I'm not sure of the OU situation. You are really best advised to start ringing the relevant departments and admissions' sections asap. Best of luck.

Advertisement