Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to Dog Owners in Sligo

Options
  • 25-05-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I read on the Sligo Animal Rescue page on Facebook that some dogs have been poisoned from drinking water in the Garavogue. Aparently there are some signs up now but just thought I'd let you know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I read that as well. It seems that some active imaginations have taken hold of the story and gotten a bit carried away with they're exaggerations too......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I know of at least two people who's dogs died. It's better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I read that as well. It seems that some active imaginations have taken hold of the story and gotten a bit carried away with they're exaggerations too......:rolleyes:

Have you any idea of what's happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Brief statement from Sligo CoCo here:

http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,25072,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

awful sad for someone to lose their dog unexpectedly, feel terrible for them having a dog myself.

i think the story has grown legs to some extent.
    having spoke directly to sligo county council this morning the facts are:

they have a report from a member of the public that their dog died after swimming in the lake/river on friday. one report.

a vets examination of the dog indicated there were toxins in its system which caused its death. it was not possible to determine the source. it could have been the lake water, it could have been something else. it's not known yet.

sligo county council have carried out tests of the water and expect to have results back later this week. until then, they've issued a precautionary warning which has been ignored by many who've swam there (some people i know) without any adverse effects (i know of) over the weekend. i'd tend to err on the side of caution myself on that one though and not go in for the moment.

so until the council report back nothing is definitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I took this photo of the river today: http://ink361.com/#/photos/201148995246974261_18492008

heard as well today that the weir gates will be opened to allow some flow especially with it being so hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

red sean wrote: »
    Brief statement from Sligo CoCo here:

http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,25072,en.html

The CoCo specifically mentioned the algae in that statement, so I'm just wondering were those poor dogs exposed to the algae? Because you would have thought that if the river water was so toxic, that it poisioned a dog/dogs, then surely all/most aquatic life would also be wiped out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The CoCo specifically mentioned the algae in that statement, so I'm just wondering were those poor dogs exposed to the algae? Because you would have thought that if the river water was so toxic, that it poisioned a dog/dogs, then surely all/most aquatic life would also be wiped out?
    I think this algae appeared before 10 years or so ago out on the islands in the lake. No major effect on aquatic life iirc.
    Promethius contacted the CoCo today, as in his post above.

Notice posted up yesterday by council. Results back have proved the algae in question which was alleged to have killed one dog (per the councils report from member of the public) is not toxic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement