Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for a repair and how often?

Options
  • 25-05-2012 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

If a mobile is being repaired under warranty, how many times does can they attempt to repair it before you can get a replacement. Secondly, how long can they take to repair the phone. A week, a month, 2 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭irishbucka

if first repair doesnt work your entitled to a replacment if it is still under warrenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where are you getting that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

So the rules are you're entitled to a repair, replacement or refund if it's a flaw in the device not caused by you. The company chooses but if it's a repair it must be permanent otherwise you're entitled to a replacement or refund.

http://corporate.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/selling-products-to-consumers/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    what cookie said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

most phone shops usualy make you go through 3 repairs before they offer anything else

• Advertisement

thats because ,the irish consumers are pushovers and not totally up to date with their rights and entitlements under consumer law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

My interpretation of the act is as follows;

Repair, Replacement or Refunds are all remedies.

A remedy needs to be made within a reasonable amount of time.

Time is cumulative. So if I'm without it for 3+5+3+9+6+9+2 days - I've been without it for 37 days.

At the point I feel its got unreasonable I ask for a refund / immediate replacement. If that's refused go buy another and sue for damages.

Its pretty simple really - the issue is that no-one can tell you a fixed amount because the Act doesn't tell you. To digress into legal waffle for a moment - where that happens with amounts over €38,100 the High Court deal with it and the case may be reported. Then its possible to go back and say:

In Smith v XYZ Crappy Phone Co. it was held that 5 days without a phone was unreasonable.

Then you can say - a Judge has defined "unreasonable". As this type of thing is dealt with in the District Court reporting rarely happens so you're left having to take a guess.

Decisions/interpretations of the NCA aren't 100% but they are a fairly good indication.

Advertisement