Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Gooseberry's in Lidl

Options
  • 25-05-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Saw these in Lidl today and was a little surprised as i'd never thought of fruit plants like that.
    Seem perfect for a shady part of the garden at ground level - say beside a fence.
    Would these always need support or would they stand on their own?
    Are they a gimmick?, hard to see how these would ever bear worth while (read jam making) quantities of fruit.

206385.jpg

206386.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They look great actually. Certain fruit bushes can be grown as standards like this. They dont yield as much as the usual goblet shaped bush but they are attrctive and also are a good option if space is limited, like along a wall. They certainly do produce good fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Will they always need the bamboo support though?
    Frankly i thought they looked a bit silly if the plant cant stand on its own like that ever.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well the bamboo wouldn't be much use even in the short term in the garden, I think you would want to give them a sturdy, short support, maybe about a third of the way up the stem. In due course you could probably remove it, but I couldn't say how long it would take, couple of seasons maybe.

Advertisement