Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renew with VHI or switch?

Options
  • 25-05-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've got 2 days to decide whether to renew a VHI subscription, go with another provider or give up cover altogether (not really an option?)...

I remember reading here recently that VHI are way above the rest, I think Hibernia being one, in terms of price for what you get and you can get much better deals with their rivals.

Does it depend on which plan you go with or is there one company that's generally considered the best to be with no matter what the plan?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

With prices and benefits changing as often as they do, it's not really possible to say that Company X or Plan Y is the best.

If you use the health insurance comparison tool on the Health Insurance Authority's website, you'll get a better sense of what your alternatives are - http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison.

At the very least, you should ask VHI if they have a company plan equivalent to the one you have. They often have similar benefits to the mainstream plans at a cheaper price, and under open enrolment VHI have to let you join that plan. Just make sure that VHI tell you what you could lose if you were to switch to a company plan, because while they are similar they're not identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for that, will check the website out and weigh up the options!

I'm not sure what you mean by a company plan, who's company? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

If your renewal is the 1st of the month with VHI, you must change your plan before then. Otherwise you have 14 days to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

A company plan is a plan that's marketed to the company-paid sector of the market, but under open enrolment, anyone is allowed to join it. The insurers don't openly market them but the HIA website has some information, and VHI will give you the information if you ask.

Thanks a lot for the info, will check it out and hopefully save a few quid with the same, if not more benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

look up the hia website. Just be aware that if you see a company plan they have to sell it to you. I would just be aware of what cover your a getting for the lower price plans ie no cover in mater private, blackrock clinic ect.
    I would also be aware that some policies will only cover 80% of cost for some operations ie operation costs €10,000 you will have to pay €2000.
    If you are willing to pay an excess it should make it cheaper.
    If you need to have any procedure done ask for the procedure number from your doctor or consultant and ring your health insurer with this to see what cover you have.

Thanks for that. I'll try look into it a bit more tomorrow. So it's totally up to the individual for what suits them with regards their location etc? There's no set "great" plan to suit everyone I guess.

Just off the phone to VHI there.

The plan I was on was the ONE Plan which cost €881.

I'm not even too sure what cover I had, but as for what I'd need in terms of cover:

I do regular sport and get physio regularly, but I get physio from a friend at a greatly reduced price so it's not something I'm too concerned about.

With regards sport, I guess I'm at risk of injury, also considering my job, doing furniture removals, I'm at risk there too.

In terms of my general health, I believe I'd be quite healthy, eat well etc and I've only needed to visit my gp maybe once in the last 2 years.

I also need to see a consultant every 18 months or so and need to get bloods done for the checkup, the checkup itself is about 115eur private :eek:

I've got some dental work done in the last 3 years, haven't claimed any of it back, not sure if it's too late, but it totals about 800eur. I'd like cover for dental work if it means I can claim some back as I will need more done and want to try keep my teeth in good shape.

Of course, I want to be covered fully for any unforeseen situations where I'll (hopefully never) require any drastic, expensive surgery.

I'd generally try and avoid doctors and especially medication as much as possible and spend my money on good healthy food rather than medical bills and would use garlic and ginger over any prescribed drugs.

The hia site seems to be a minefield of different options so it's a bit difficult to pin down one suitable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

What is the actual renewal date? VHI should be able to recommend a composite plan that will give money back that will provide better cover than One Plan. Compare the plan that you are on against this plan on hia website.

The renewal date has passed and now I've until the 6th of June to reactivate without having to wait the 90 days for benefits to be allowed, unless I go for a higher benefit plan, in which case any NEW benefits will require 90 days lead in time to be active.

I asked about the company plan and pricewise, they both seemed higher and she said the sports plan was more suited to younger people.

• Advertisement

Aghh, completely forgot about this and now today is the last day I have to renew with VHI before I have to wait the 90 days, unless I go with another plan/another provider! Anyone have similar needs as mine above and find a plan that matches everything at all?

wow, just having a look now, there's a minefield of different plans, how to know which is the most suitable without spending 10 hours comparing :eek:

Folks, does anyone know much about Laya Healthcare? I've never heard of them, but they seem pretty competitive in that almost every field in the following comparison link is better than VHI's offering with a plan that's cheaper overall.

http://www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?105&279&289&current=105/

Laya Healthcare is the new name for Quinn.

I would get a policy with Laya Healthcare as at the moment they cover the full cost of orthopaedic work where as VHI 80% cover for certain orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures. This means that if you have an operation on your back costing €10k - vhi will pay €8k and you will pay the remainder.
    I would consider a policy where you pay an excess of €50/€125 per hospital visit. You need to be aware that some of the cheaper policies could have a shortfall per night of a €100 plus so if you where in hospital for a few nights you could have a large bill.
    I have looked up the following policies which may suit you
    Laya Healthcare - Health Sense Excess for €811.15, Simplyhealth Excess for €846.28 and Laya Essential Select €715.58. Laya Essential Select has limited cover for private and high tech hospitals ie mater private and you need ring Laya to find out the name of the hospital covered.
    I hope this helps you out.

Thank you so much for putting time into the options you've arrived at. I think I'll go with Simply Health Excess at €846. Seems to offer more than the VHI policy I was on, at a cheaper price and is only a little extra compared to the others for some extra benefits.

Now since the 6th of June is all but elapsed (it's the date I was meant to renew by with VHI or my policy wouldn't roll and I'd need to wait the 90 days or whatever it is), what's the best procedure for signing up with Laya? Can any steps be taken to get immediate cover such as simply switching insurer, or will I be stuck with a 90 or so waiting time for any cover to take place with them also I wonder?

Hello Cormie,
    If you ring Laya to arrange health insurance they will give you Immediate cover.
    Just tell them you are moving from vhi and they will take into consideration any wait periods you have had with vhi.
    You need to let them know the name of the policy you had with vhi as you may be moving on to a higher level of cover by changing over to Laya.
    This means you may have to wait a while before claiming at the higher cover level. I would advise you to ring Laya if you need to have any day case or hospital procedure done. Just ask your gp/consultant for a Laya procedure no for your treatment & Laya can let you know how it is covered once you ring them as they can advise you on this. You may have higher cover in one hospital over another. Also if you need to get any type of xray or scan I would contact them as they may pay the full amount directly to the scan clinic if it is on there list.

That's great, thanks again for the help. I'm worried that because the 6th will have lapsed by the time I call them, I won't be able to get immediate cover, but I'll ring anyway and see what they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Just dont go with aviva and you'll be fine, sorry, my 2 cents...

Just signed up to Laya Simply Health Excess.

I asked would the cover continue from VHI and she asked was I with them over 5 years which I am, I said I wasn't sure of the renewal date and she mentioned something about have 13 weeks passed which they haven't. I wonder if I got there on time? I tried haggle 10% off but no luck :)

Just got my renewal letter today and this has risen from I think €846 to €1019! That's quite a hike, they said in the letter it's to do with government levy etc, has anyone else on the same plan got the same increase and have you found any cheaper alternatives from competing companies including the same or better cover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

cormie wrote: »
    Just got my renewal letter today and this has risen from I think €846 to €1019! That's quite a hike, they said in the letter it's to do with government levy etc, has anyone else on the same plan got the same increase and have you found any cheaper alternatives from competing companies including the same or better cover?

There is a levy alright and it went up 65 euro. Think there is extra charges this year for private beds in public hospitals as well.
    Best bet is to ring around and see who'll give you the cover at the best price.
    If laya are the cheapest then stick with laya. If someone else is the cheapest well then move to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Scortho wrote: »
    There is a levy alright and it went up 65 euro. Think there is extra charges this year for private beds in public hospitals as well.
    Best bet is to ring around and see who'll give you the cover at the best price.
    If laya are the cheapest then stick with laya. If someone else is the cheapest well then move to them.

The government levy has increased by €65 but the private bed in public hospital charge has not been legislated yet. As usual the insurers will use any excuse to increase their premiums.

For a plan that gives pretty good day to day benefits and full orthopedic covers you wont get cheaper than Simply health excess.

Thanks for the replies folks, so where did the extra €100+ charge come from I wonder?

Lostart, you reckon I'm best off just sucking it up and renewing as is?

LostArt wrote: »
    The government levy has increased by €65 but the private bed in public hospital charge has not been legislated yet. As usual the insurers will use any excuse to increase their premiums.

For a plan that gives pretty good day to day benefits and full orthopedic covers you wont get cheaper than Simply health excess.

I'd still advise shopping around. No harm done from it and you may get it cheaper. You'd be fairly pissed if you found out a month down the line that you could have got a similar plan with glo for 100 quid less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Scortho wrote: »
    I'd still advise shopping around. No harm done from it and you may get it cheaper. You'd be fairly pissed if you found out a month down the line that you could have got a similar plan with glo for 100 quid less.

You can't unless you take an orthopeadic co payment or 80% cover.

LostArt wrote: »
    You can't unless you take an orthopeadic co payment or 80% cover.

Fair enough. Ill still shop around for all insurance products. I have been surprised in the past hence why I'd always recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I find glohealth.ie very good value. There prices have increased but for hospital cover for 2 adults and 2 children (one under 3) I can get a private room public hospital for 2060 per annum. A lot less then other insurers.

Funny enough I got a phone call from Laya today just to push the renewal, I mentioned about the price and that I thought it was too expensive and the guy explained about the increases in hospital beds, gov't levy etc. I said I would have renewed straight away if the price was the same or if they'd drop it but they said they couldn't. He said the plan I was on was the best value for money amongst competitors on the HIA site, so I might be stuck just renewing at the higher price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I am getting the family a full medical and if all is good I'll be cancelling. It's to dear now and doesn't cover dentist which is what we need more

• Advertisement

Hello Ted1,

If you are going to cancel your families health insurance you may be interested in a Health insurance cash plan. This plan will cover you, your partner and children under the age of 21 living at home for a set price a month or year.
    For example your child spends 3 nights in a public hospital at the cost of €75 a night - the plan could give you this money back. You could also get money back for doctors visits, consultant visits, dental and optical visits.
    If you go to the hia.ie website and under go compare look up - I would like to see health insurance cash plans. If you look under scheme, family or extra plans which are for families you can see what costs they cover.
    For more information - go to consumer information and click in Heath insurance cash plan.

Advertisement