Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age gap...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Women at the age of 17/18 are probably at their best, its only once they're in their 20's onwards you'll notice this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

First post. Those damn ninja editors :pac:

You've clocked up three four ninja edits! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

3 either side is my maximum when I read of anything more the eyebrows tend to raise - sadly I don't see teh bigger age gap as the bigger conquest, sorry. may be legal to a point but people with principles still frown n If they didn't, I'd be concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

doovdela wrote: »
    First post. Those damn ninja editors :pac:

You've clocked up three four ninja edits! :p

:eek: closer to ten i reckon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Half your age plus seven.
    I firmly agree with this formula/statement/equation! Works best for both worlds!
    How? It's completely random. An 18-year-old abiding by it would be breaking the law here if they had sex with someone half their age plus seven years.
    What age group is it supposed to apply to? If a 40-year-old was with a 27-year-old, that would be following this "rule" but with a 26-year-old.. oh noez?
    How about people just be with people they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Ya but the question is who are you more compatible and on par with more likely be someone of the same age, nearer in age or similar calibre of maturity regardless of age! You could be a mature 17 year old and an immature 24 year old or be on par on maturity and interests and so on be an mature 24 year old, immature 17 year old, or mature 24 year old and immature 31 year old, mature 31 year old an 24 year old and be immature!?

On rate of maturity and interests and compatibly are on par with that person though stage of life and how you get on with them wanting different/similar things has more of a bearing than just liking and fancying them that whether or not they are worldly or experienced/not experienced.

I felt I was compatible with each and everyone of them, hence the reason I was with them, and they all gave me something I treasure and extremely fond memories, I never regret the time that we spent together.

In saying that though maybe age did have a big part in us breaking up, it was never discussed though as a reason, it was always that we knew we wanted different things, I can't blame it on age, anymore than I came blame it on who I am.

I certainly can come across as very young at heart, and naive, and the constant dreamer, that can be quite annoying. So yes age might have being an issue, but was never discussed, I do believe that me being TG might have more of an impact though, cause that was discussed from the outset of the relationship. I guess we will never know, it would be interesting to find out though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Are ya alright there Sharon?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I'm on a horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I guess the older, the less dramatic the gap between both for instance 22-17 seems quite the gulf compared to 58-47

anyhow biggest gap I'd go for is in pants, not years how many buses can fit through there. 3 ok reckon I might be able.. tight fit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

My Sister was about 23 when she started going out with a fella nearly 20 years older. Suppose I thought it a bit odd but they made a great couple.

Still do 17 years later. The mentality matters, a maturely developed 23 year old could well click with a 42 year old young at heart person, they still have to be mature to handle the age gap though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

from some reason I find it odd when a 20-25 year old goes out with a 17-19 year old.
    I dont look twice when they is the same age gap when the two people are over 21

guitarzero wrote: »
    Women at the age of 17/18 are probably at their best, its only once they're in their 20's onwards you'll notice this.
    Yeah haggard as hell in their 20s - from the perspective of a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Double your age and add 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I don't know about age gaps but I just try and follow the law.

Once they are 18 its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Did you put your sausage in her puddinbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Double your age and add 7.

Gross...

Start with 0, then add 7.

Yup, 7, correct.

Maths is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I've been with a 27 year old at 21

And I've been with an 19 year old at 28

Both very memorable!!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    When I was 23 I went out with a 19 year old and it was f'd up to me. Now I'm 27 and going out with a 23 year old. It does bring challenges alright.
    what challenges? That's barely any age gap. 23/19 is grand too but you often don't realise it at the time.

17 and 24 - different life stages all right, the younger person possibly in school. That's all I'd see as a potential issue which could lead to obstacles. But it's not sick and it's far from paedo, not border paedo. When I was 17 I was getting into 23s nightclubs - a 17-year-old girl is a young woman. Preferable for the older person to view the younger person as more than just sex though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Paedophilia is the sexual attraction to pre-pubescent (generally under 13) children. The amount of ignorance displayed by some people on this topic is disturbing.

At 31 years old, I can't imagine being attracted to a 17 year old myself, but it's certainly not illegal and no where near paedophilia. As said above the half your age plus seven only works for small gaps/people within the same decade.

Dudess wrote: »
    what challenges? That's barely any age gap. 23/19 is grand too but you often don't realise it at the time.

17 and 24 - different life stages all right, the younger person possibly in school. That's all I'd see as a potential issue which could lead to obstacles. But it's not sick and it's far from paedo, not border paedo. When I was 17 I was getting into 23s nightclubs - a 17-year-old girl is a young woman. Preferable for the older person to view the younger person as more than just sex though.

I agree Dudess, possibly still in school, but very much a young woman, with a lot of her own ideas, and ideals, I've worked with them and dated one, also have niece who was one. :) Very much want to change the world, like any other 17 year old I have meet, either Male/Female/other and they have the passion to do it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Brendog wrote: »
    I don't know about age gaps but I just try and follow the law.

Once they are 18 its ok.

The law is 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ditzyfitzy

My OH is 9 years my senior, & we got together when I was 19 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Put it to you this way. If you had 17 year old sister, would you be at all bothered if she was seeing a 24 year old?

And dont say it would be none of your business because one way or the other you would have an opinion on it.

Having an opinion on something does`t mean its any of you`re business though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My former classmate started dating the man who became her husband when she was 16 and he was 26. We never thought he was too old for her, she was a very mature sensible type so they met in the middle somewhere (cue smartarse comments!). They have been happily married for over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

relationships in which the woman is older than the man tend not to work. Generally men age better. I'm edging 40 and my wife is nearly 30 but looks 25. I can't imagine how I could be attracted to her of she were nearly 50. Or in 10 years to think she would be nearly 60!!!!!

Women age like flowers and men age like trees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the individual involved. I see an awful lot of pudgy, balding, with bad skin, old looking 30 year old Irish men about the place. I also see a fair amount of slim clear skinned Irish women of the same age about the place. I know one couple where she's older by 8 years, yet to meet them you would assume they were the same age, indeed wouldn't be surprised at all to discover he's 5 years older.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

relationships in which the woman is older than the man tend not to work. Generally men age better. I'm edging 40 and my wife is nearly 30 but looks 25. I can't imagine how I could be attracted to her of she were nearly 50. Or in 10 years to think she would be nearly 60!!!!!

Hahaha where are you from? please tell me where these men are :p

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

Ok so for arguements sake Ill try put it into more perspective
    Shes 18 in the next couple of weeks-Im 25 in october
    Finished school
    Has a car so not bein ferried round by mammy and daddy
    Has a job
    Drinks a bit and goes to clubs
    Has older sisters around my age and older that she spends a lot of time with so shed be fairly mature whereas me bein 24 I come across as much younger cos i only started drinkin 2 years ago so Im kinda makin up for years I didnt drink
    Again this is all hypathetical but Its interesting to hear what people would think if I was seriously into her

Finished school
    Has a job
    Has older sisters around my age and older that she spends a lot of time with so shed be fairly mature whereas me bein 24 I come across as much younger cos i only started drinkin 2 years ago so Im kinda makin up for years I didnt drink
    Again this is all hypathetical but Its interesting to hear what people would think if I was seriously into her

up to yer nuts in guts in to her or in love?

If it's the latter then she is too young, let her go.

Finished school
    Has a job

As most have said it could work, I certainly think so, I had an 18 year old walk away from me when I was 22, because I was too immature, and she was right, so definitely could work :D

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Having an opinion on something does`t mean its any of you`re business though.
    Yeah what relevance would it have if the OP has a 17-year-old sister anyway? Doesn't change anything if he likes this girl. OP, go for it but don't be too confident it'll work out as anything serious, because of the different life stages. Not saying it definitely won't though.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the individual involved.
    Oh god you can't be doing something like taking things on a case-by-case basis - mass insults are way more fun! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I think this was covered before but Im not sure but what do ye make of big age gaps between Men and women???
    I ask cos i was out last sunday nite and I ended up smoochin(just smoochin) a 17 year old and Im 24
    I dunno whether to turn myself into the cops for bein a pedo or be happy cos she was dayum hot

That's pretty fcuking sick.

Paedo in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Paedo in training.

Although its not quite that bad I think its a little wierd alright. No actually its very weird. Creepy in fact.

A 24 year old is a grown man well into adulthood.

A 17 year old is still practically a child. Yeah yeah i know the law says 17 is legal but she's essentially a child, probably still in school, living with parents.

Its all a bit predatory.

Paedo in training.

Really how? I think it quite healthy, and some females have pointed they had no problem at 17 in going out with 36 year olds, I went out with a girl of 18 when I was 21 (she wiped the floor with me in maturity wise, and probably would still with me at 43, I meet her first, at a musical festival when she was 16.

And Just so we can get this clear, she approached me after being beating by her then Boyfriend, and I gave her a place to, protect her from him. She had already slept with more people than I had (she said 100's, if she said 1, she would be still well ahead) I was virgin until I was 24 (we never slept together), sexually she terrified me. Last I heard she is doing charity work in South America, for an orphanage. I heard that about 5 years after we split up, I hadn't grown up enough even then, she was a star that I was lucky to have glanced against my cheek, as she shoot by to become herself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Paedo in training.

But its alright when berlusconi does it, right ?

Saying it's paedo this and that is trivialising actual paedophilia IMO. A 17-year-old girl has no resemblance to a nine-year-old girl. Yeah she's very young and it's not the ideal; being a schoolgirl definitely not ideal. But what if she likes the guy and she's really mature for her age? Nothing wrong with seeing how it turns out IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I can't imagine how I could be attracted to her of she were nearly 50. Or in 10 years to think she would be nearly 60!!!!

That's charming. Does your wife know you feel this way? And one day she will be 50, you know! ;)

Sea Filly wrote: »
    That's charming. Does your wife know you feel this way? And one day she will be 50, you know! ;)

She does. She knows she will be 50 and I will be hitting 60 rather than in my late thirties. I'm sorry but I just don't find most 50 year old women attractive. I may well feel different when I AM 60. If most men did not feel this way then we would see many more older women marrying men ten years younger. There is a reason why this is a rare event. We all knew Demi and Ashton would never last. She looks like his ma FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

17 and 24 is not a big deal,some ten/twenty age gaps can be more noticable with regards to maturity and what not..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

She does. She knows she will be 50 and I will be hitting 60 rather than in my late thirties. I'm sorry but I just don't find most 50 year old women attractive. I may well feel different when I AM 60. If most men did not feel this way then we would see many more older women marrying men ten years younger. There is a reason why this is a rare event. We all knew Demi and Ashton would never last. She looks like his ma FFS.

Come over here and visit me in Spain. 50 year old women here age a lot better than their male counterparts...at least here in Madrid. Why? Because they take better care of themselves and men don't, generally speaking. Beer bellies, baldness (which I know can't be helped and isn't unattractive but quit with the comb over bull****) and paunchy faces because of their beer and fag consumption. Many women eat well, exercise and dress well and they're still attractive when they hit 50. I've students who I always presumed were younger till they told me their age and I was all :eek: huh?

Not saying women age better than men but it comes down to the individual and how much they take care of themselves. This idea that men age better than women is only the case among those men who look after themselves. We use George Clooney and Brad Pitt as examples to prove that men age better than women but those men are exceptionally good-looking and always have been. It's inevitable they were going to grow into handsome older men. You can't compare the average fella in a pub at 50 guzzling down pints to them.

If most men did not feel this way then we would see many more older women marrying men ten years younger. There is a reason why this is a rare event. We all knew Demi and Ashton would never last. She looks like his ma FFS.

I actually know a fair few married couples where the woman is the older by some years of the pair. I've just realised this now, but I do!

Anyway, a man isn't going to get better with age if he's eating junk and drinking loads of beer. LOL if he thinks he will! Some men do age better of course, but it has to be worked at and not taken for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I actually know a fair few married couples where the woman is the older by some years of the pair. I've just realised this now, but I do!

Anyway, a man isn't going to get better with age if he's eating junk and drinking loads of beer. LOL if he thinks he will! Some men do age better of course, but it has to be worked at and not taken for granted.

well you cant win the fight against genetics

Spunge wrote: »
    well you cant win the fight against genetics

Oh yeah, genetics do play a role obviously, and some people are luckier in this regard, but even "good genes" are going to be offset by crappy lifestyle choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Paedo in training.

What a sad small minded life you must lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

btard wrote: »

Paedo in training.

What a sad small minded life you must lead.

Why is that you now?

Making judgements of peoples lives based on a single comment is pretty small minded tbh.

Go away, your ridiculous personality is showing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

OP that does not seem bad at all! sure as long as ye like each other then the age difference wouldnt matter but only to an extent!

I think it just depends on the actual ages if you get me? My sister was 18 turning 19 when she got with her boyfriend, he was 24 at the time, six years on he is 30 and she is 25? It doesnt seem that bad.

Im only 20 and the last guy i was with was 28 and when i was 15 i was with a 20 year old....looking back that was fairly weird because of the ages but at the time i couldnt see what was wrong with that! Age shouldnt factor into if ye both like each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I think this was covered before but Im not sure but what do ye make of big age gaps between Men and women???
    I ask cos i was out last sunday nite and I ended up smoochin(just smoochin) a 17 year old and Im 24
    I dunno whether to turn myself into the cops for bein a pedo or be happy cos she was dayum hot

...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

There have been worse cases OP. Most couples have a bit of an age gap anyway, shift away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

half yours plus 7?

Who came up with that formula?

Where do people find info like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement