Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pigs Fighting

• 25-05-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have 2 male guinea pigs and I got them September last and they got on pretty ok, the odd bit of fighting but settled down, I then got 2 more males in a separate cage and have them side by side, since getting the two new guys the other two have had to be separated because they were fighting and one was biting the other which resulted in a few very bad cuts. They are in the same cage with a metal bars between them so they can still see and hear each other. I have tried reintroducing them and this again resulted in one getting very bad bites. Any advice on how to get them to live together again if possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are you sure the new guineas are male? The smell of a female guinea pig in heat will turn even the friendliest and bonded of male pairs into little loonys.
    Or could the two new ones you got have been living with females and the scent when they arrived set the other two off?

If it's not a case and the new ones are male, sometimes males as they mature will fall out even the occasional female will fall out. Sometimes it is possible to re-introduce the males but living side by side is another solution if they really hate each other, they might appreciate the company of the other pig but be happy living next door to each other, as long as living side by side isn't stressing either of them out..which it probably won't (unless obviously any females are about).

This is a brilliant website for anyone with male piggies do check it out it will be very helpful and will give you peace of mind. http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bullying.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarahLM06

Yeah all guinea pigs are definately male, got the pet shop to triple check, have tried introducing them again but they fought so I think living side by side is the way to go, thanks for the link to the website, will have a look :)

Advertisement