Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading application from VB/SQL Server

Options
  • 26-05-2012 12:17am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks
    Client running a desktop application for 6 years, its running off terminal services with VB6, using CSLA with SQL Server 2005 backend.

They are now flirting with the idea of moving the system to the "next best". They will be stick with MS technology and moving the database to SQL Server 2010 but I would like your thoughts on whats the best move with regards the UI.

A lot of the logic in the BO's are using CSLA so I am thinking in order to keep redevelopment down that they move to the latest version of CSLA and upgrade the BO's as required.

The application is a booking system, currently has 170or so individual screens, 40 or so reports, so its not a small system.

With regards any of the ASP.NET projects I have done the screens have all been done up by designers and given to us in HTML format and these have been then used in the webforms along with the CSS.
    Is this the only way to do up screen, it won't be a public facing application.

Hopefully there is enough detail there to give some idea of what they require, I am just curious as to what others think of what way they can go.

Appreciate all answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What's the inherent business benefit in moving the UI from VB6?

Advertisement