Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green Lights on Taxis/Guaranteed Irish

• 26-05-2012 6:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a question for debate.

Seeing as the taxi SERVICE I provide would seem to fill the criteria, would people deem it racist if I applied to display the Guaranteed Irish Logo on my cab
    Criteria for Membership - Service

Domiciled in Ireland
    Employees must be predominantly located in Ireland
    The 'value added' component of the service must be performed in Ireland
    Provide much needed employement
    How much does it cost?
    Membership starts from as little as €1 per day for a sole trader.
    Guaranteed Irish recognises that not all businesses are the same and fees are calculated according to the scale of each organisation.

http://www.guaranteedirish.ie/members.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭yogi beer

I don't give a f*ck, just lower the prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Over here in America, a lot of service based companies get certified each year that they are crime free. In that they ensure their staff have yearly background checks. How about that?

Don't hire anybody who has ever been found guilty of wreckless driving, assault etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Over here in America, a lot of service based companies get certified each year that they are crime free. In that they ensure their staff have yearly background checks. How about that?

Don't hire anybody who has ever been found guilty of wreckless driving, assault etc.

Wouldn't be many taxi drivers here passing that; worst drivers on the road plus prone to verbal assaults on customers and other road users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why, is there a huge amount of taxi drivers that don't live in Ireland, or do you just want to display the fact that you are white?

If its the latter, please put the sticker in a prominent place so I can easily spot what taxi to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I think it's disgusting tbh, I would go out of my way to avoid any taxis displaying a green light, are the Irish more qualified for the job or what, just reinforces people's idiocy and racism really.

Besides I think that most taxi drivers regaress of nationality do have that key attribute that makes a taxi driver, well a taxi driver, they are assholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Wompa1 wrote: »

Ok so you can't do background checks on foreign taxi drivers. So, you might reject and Irish guy for a licence for some small crime 10 years ago but you might give a licence to a foreign convicted murderer. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I dont think it is at all racist to state that the majority of dodgy taxi drivers are foreign. It is merely fact. Not all of them of course. In fact the majority are grand. But more often than not any taxi horror story you hear off a mate (attempting to give wrong change, trying to prolong a journey, clueless as to the direction of the destination, violent over reaction when challenged about the above) will involve a foreign driver.
    just reinforces people's idiocy and racism really.

Besides I think that most taxi drivers regaress of nationality do have that key attribute that makes a taxi driver, well a taxi driver, they are assholes

So pre judging on race is wrong, but it doesnt matter because they are all cnuts anyway? From my memory I have only ever had one Irish taxi driver that I would regard as dodgy (and not even dodgy as such- m0re that his cab stank of sh1te and his chat was right weird), compared to quite a few foreign ones who deliberately tried long routes or tried to take the piss with change when they could see I had a few drinks taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Easy solution. Get rid of all taxi drivers and replace them with Johnny Cabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What Ireland needs is something that is taken for granted in most other European countries: a set of detailed and precise regulations relating to every aspect of a taxi's operation: roadworthiness, cleanliness, charges per kilometre and for waiting time, receipts, modes of payment, driver's dress code, driver competence, accuracy of meter, external signs, and so on. A taxi driver's nationality or ethnic origin or skin colour has nothing to do with his or her professional ability.:rolleyes:

I assume that the regulations would include the format, dimensions and colour or colours of the sign or signs identifying a vehicle as a taxi.:)

Anyway, using a green sign in an unfair attempt to compete is rather pointless, because there is nothing to stop any driver, be he or she from Kiltimagh or Bongobongoville, from using one. What will the racists and begrudgers do then?:rolleyes:

http://www.taksiliitto.fi/in_english/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Did anyone catch the voxpop on newstalk when they were discussing this? A couple(absolute scrotes) said they wouldn't get in a taxi with a black lad because they all look the same and so if something went wrong they couldn't report them!! I'd love to argue the point with them that I'd imagine they'd tell the difference between 2pac,biggie, jay z and 50cent quick enough!

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »

Seeing as the taxi SERVICE I provide would seem to fill the criteria, would people deem it racist if I applied to display the Guaranteed Irish Logo on my cab

Domiciled in Ireland
    Provide much needed employement
    How much does it cost?
    Membership starts from as little as €1 per day for a sole trader.
    Guaranteed Irish recognises that not all businesses are the same and fees are calculated according to the scale of each organisation.

Btw don't waste your money, every taximan would fit the criteria unless they fly in every weekend to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think it's a good idea............

..........because until all these foreigners arrived we were never, ever ripped off, robbed, abused or mal-treated by taxi drivers. All the cars were brand new and smelled of lavender on a summers day.

........and drivers' dress and body odour was beyond reproach......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Why, is there a huge amount of taxi drivers that don't live in Ireland, or do you just want to display the fact that you are white?

If its the latter, please put the sticker in a prominent place so I can easily spot what taxi to avoid.

I think the fact that they want to distinguish themselves from their black co workers signals how retarded and racist some of these taxi drivers really are.
    Seriously they should have their licence revoked for this crap!

Equally I fully support the point being made on background checks. All drivers should have a clear background to work with the public. Any driver who's background cannon be checked or who cannot prove that their background is clear shouldn't get a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

there is no such thing as a gaurenteed irish value added item or service .... irish people wether taxi's or not charge too much for everything

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea............

..........because until all these foreigners arrived we were never, ever ripped off, robbed, abused or mal-treated by taxi drivers. All the cars were brand new and smelled of lavender on a summers day.

........and drivers' dress and body odour was beyond reproach......
    The good old days...I remember walking from the redbox to near fairview for a taxi!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

the fellas will just find a new way to show their Irishness, banning the lights is pointless.

There are obviously customers specifically looking for Irish drivers, why not just let them? this comes up in the news every so often and nothing is ever done, because the government can't control people's thoughts and feelings. Yet.

Personally I wouldn't get into any taxi, cos my Dad's a taxi driver (with no green light, he thinks they're stupid) and he's always telling me never to get a taxi because they're all a shower of cnuts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Domiciled in Ireland
    Provide much needed employment

Every taxi-driver in the country would be entitled to carry the Guaranteed Irish logo. It's not used to distinguish the ethnicity of a company's staff. It is used to distinguish companies that work in and contribute to the Irish economy.

And yes, if you want it to declare your ethnicity, no question about whether it would be perceived as racist. Racists would appreciate it though. If they don't drive a cab already. (I kid)

Seriously, too many racist taxi drivers, actually had to get out in the middle of Phoenix Park one time one guy was so obnoxious. They're doing a diservice to their non-racist colleagues. If I could justify this kind of discrimination to myself it would be white taxi-drivers I'd avoid for fear of having to listen to bigoted crap. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I find the non-Irish taxi drivers much better craic to be honest, you might die, but at least you die laughing. I got into a Romanians taxi once, and had a very crazy conversation about his superstitions and how he sees ghosts everywhere.

I have never avoided a taxi driver by colour, nationality, state of car or creed. Not that I am equal opportunities, just too drunk to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

http://www.guaranteedirish.ie/members.htm[/QUOTE]

It's a brilliant idea IMO,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

recently i got a taxi & the driver was unbelievable. Never in my life had I come across such a bitter old man before. Ranted for ages about those foreigners - even told me that the social welfare were handing out taxi plates to "them foreigners"

at that nugget, i laughed in his face - he was dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I dont think it is at all racist to state that the majority of dodgy taxi drivers are foreign. It is merely fact. Not all of them of course. In fact the majority are grand. But more often than not any taxi horror story you hear off a mate (attempting to give wrong change, trying to prolong a journey, clueless as to the direction of the destination, violent over reaction when challenged about the above) will involve a foreign driver.
    I can give you a story for each one of those examples which involves an Irish taxi driver.

As a previous poster said... Please, racist taxi drivers, display your Irish signs as clearly as possible so I know which taxis to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I think it's a great suggestion and should be implemented but only if you drive an Irish made car, use an Irish owned Garage for your diesel and buy only Irish made products for the upkeep of your vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There is only one solution to this OP. Firstly, set up a similar system to a rainwater harvesting system, except in reverse. Basically, a rainwater harvesting system catches rainwater and feeds it into your toilet water system. You want to do the opposite and catch your toilet waste (just liquids, no solids) and store it in a container with a tap on the end.

Next, you want to look up the Super Soaker website. In my experience these are the most powerful water guns available. Look up the nearest local distributor, they are usually sold in good toy shops. Find the most powerful gun available and purchase it. Fill up the SuperSoaker with the contents of the waste barrell.

Finally, once the gun is filled, you need to propel the urine towards the taxi in a forceful manor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Already a thread on the same subject here, The OP knows this as he/she has been taking part in it.

We really don't need another thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement