Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Classic Album

Options
  • 26-05-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

In 1980 The Clash released their tripple album "Sandinista!",It was a "stew "of punk,reggae,soul,rap and just about everything you could imagine.The record company went nuts,it was slated by the critics and was in the record shop bargin bins within weeks.From day one I loved the album and and in my opinion it's a classic that has stood the test of time,would recommend to any serious music fan.

Anybody else recommend a Forgotten Classic Album?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

ABC - Lexicon of love. There's nothing else like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'1972' by Josh Rouse. Nobody knows it, can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It's not quite forgotten in the same way as you mentioned but "No One Can Do It Better" by The D.O.C. is my pick. It was released in the same 4 year stretch that NWA ruled the world. Eazy E, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Snoop all released classic albums. The D.O.C. had writing credits on E's, Dre's and Snoop's album. His own was just as good but it is completely overlooked by most people.

The fact that he was in a career-ending car crash a few months later didn't help matters. He has no opportunity to follow up on his album. He had to do it through his ghostwriting for Dre and Snoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

Birneybau wrote: »

yeha this is a great album if you get the chance give nashville a listen!

i'd pick grant hart's first solo album 'intolerence', a classic that seems to be eclipsed by the stuff he did with hd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Obscured By Clouds by Pink Floyd. It was released after Syd Barrett had left but before they became massively famous (it was recorded while they were making Dark Side Of The Moon). At the time they were doing a lot of soundtrack albums. This is one of those albums and was recorded very quickly. You hardly ever hear anything about it nowadays. Even the band themselves have pretty much disowned it. Personally I think it's a lot more interesting than their more famous albums though as is Music From The Film More, another soundtrack album that took a few days to record.

David Gilmours first two solo albums, David Gilmour and About Face, are brilliant too. Short And Sweet from the first album is especially good as is Murder (a song about the murder of John Lennon) from the second album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Who's afraid of... by Art of Noise, huge influence on 90's and contemporary electronica/hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Birneybau wrote: »
    I actually bought this by accident years ago (I think I mistook the cover for something else) but it actually is a really great album. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kell1

Thank's for the great recommendations and I hope to check them all out.Might I also suggest Armed Forces by Elvis Costello,I just can't stop it! by The Beat and Bop till You Drop by Ry Cooder.I'm currently listening to Plastic Beach by the Gorillaz and both Fleet Foxes albums (amongst others) so i'm not a complete Dinosaur!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The Songs I Love So Well by Phil Coulter, it was limited edition and is now out-of-print.

Very insightful songs into the life of Ireland's second best songwriter (IMO), and the first track is his own version of My Boy, a song himself and Bill Martin wrote for Elvis.

Great album for anyone interested in Irish folk music, and for serious fans that like to dig deeper, as many of the songs on the album were made more famous by other artists.

Also for anyone interested in songwriter's versions of their own songs, I'd recommend Jimmy MacCarthy's The Song of The Singing Horseman or Julie Gold's Try Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Nobodys Perfect - The Distractions.

Manchester band from late '70s . Released only one album but their brand of 60's influenced power-pop was not in vogue at the time. Full of lovely songs such as the following:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

John Cale's Hobosapiens.

It was released in 2003 to critical acclaim though imho people have forgotten about it lately as its an album whose name I see mentioned very rarely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Duck rock - Malcolm McLaren. This came out a few years before Paul Simon's album and also used South African music. Yet everyone thinks Simon was the one who did it first!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's not quite forgotten in the same way as you mentioned but "No One Can Do It Better" by The D.O.C. is my pick. It was released in the same 4 year stretch that NWA ruled the world. Eazy E, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Snoop all released classic albums. The D.O.C. had writing credits on E's, Dre's and Snoop's album. His own was just as good but it is completely overlooked by most people.

The fact that he was in a career-ending car crash a few months later didn't help matters. He has no opportunity to follow up on his album. He had to do it through his ghostwriting for Dre and Snoop.

He had another album called Helter Skelter which in my opinion is excellent. After the car crash his voice was all messed up, as can be heard on Dr.Dre's The Chronic, he is the game show host on $57 sack pyramid. But he embraced his new voice on Helter Skelter. I think that he has said in interviews that he regrets releasing the album now, i dont understand why, it's excellent.

But, not nearly as good as "No one can do it better". Here is a new song that pays tribute to the album:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    He had another album called Helter Skelter which in my opinion is excellent. After the car crash his voice was all messed up, as can be heard on Dr.Dre's The Chronic, he is the game show host on $57 sack pyramid. But he embraced his new voice on Helter Skelter. I think that he has said in interviews that he regrets releasing the album now, i dont understand why, it's excellent.

But, not nearly as good as "No one can do it better". Here is a new song that pays tribute to the album:

I've never heard that album. Must give it a listen. Dunno if I'll like it though. It'll be hard to listen to him with his "new" voice.

I listened to an interview with him a while back. He's very articulate but his voice is a wreck. He was supposed to be undergoing surgery that would try to restore 70% of his voice. I haven't heard anything more about it though.

The skit was called "The $20 Sack Pyramid", and he had the role of the person giving the clues in the quiz. I actually listened to it in the car yesterday. It's a brilliant skit. 10 times better and funnier than the skits around these days.

That song you posted is great. Love all the references he has to the song titles.

DOC doesn't get nearly enough credit as he should. Without his input in general I don't think "The Chronic" wouldn't have been a classic. This is pretty much the reason why I've no expectations for Detox (if it ever drops) now that DOC has distanced himself from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

manic street preachers's lifeblood was overlooked imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The+Auteurs+%2528New+Wave+-+Front%2529.jpg
    The Auteurs - New Wave (1993)

It's hard to imagine that these guys, along with Suede, were once at the forefront of an emerging movement in British music known as Britpop. Unfortunately this album got buried when Oasis, Blur, and to a lesser extent Pulp, grabbed the limelight. If you love clever witty lyrics and a 70's glam-influenced sound you will love this beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

'Rattlesnakes' by LLoyd Cole & The Commotions in 1984

So good I bought it twice - on casette and CD

I recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Rattlesnakes definitely! Lloyd Cole was one of the best lyricists of the 80's and the songwriting on Rattlesnakes is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Back in the High Life by Steve Winwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kell1

Forgot about Rattlesnakes,what a fantastic debut.Played that album to death.Such a pity that Lloyd Cole's career went into a nose dive and he never fullfilled his potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Lloyd Cole is playing WestPort festival at end of June.
    kell1 wrote: »
    Forgot about Rattlesnakes,what a fantastic debut.Played that album to death.Such a pity that Lloyd Cole's career went into a nose dive and he never fullfilled his potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Black Grape 'It's Great When You're Straight'

Brilliant summertime album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

i'd pick grant hart's first solo album 'intolerence', a classic that seems to be eclipsed by the stuff he did with hd

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Another one for "Obscured by clouds". I love stay and enjoy it as much as any Floyd tune.

For me it'd have to be "Soul Mining" by The The. At least 4 gems there, I can never get enough of "Giant"!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Webb Brothers - Marooned. This exploration of the highs and lows of hedonism is an absolute triumph which skates through a multitude of genres with ease. How this isn't hailed as a classic and why the band languish in obscurity is completely beyond me…

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lauriele

fryup wrote: »
    manic street preachers's lifeblood was overlooked imo
    Lifeblood is their most boring album! They redeemed themselves somewhat with Send Away The Tigers but nothing will ever compare to The Holy Bible or even Everything Must Go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'll go with David Bowie's album Space Oddity (originally called David Bowie). Everyone knows the title track, but the other stuff on it is amazing, and usually overlooked. Also contains his best song (imho) Cygnet Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Lauriele wrote: »
    Lifeblood is their most boring album! They redeemed themselves somewhat with Send Away The Tigers but nothing will ever compare to The Holy Bible or even Everything Must Go.

I actually think Journal For Plague Lovers is just as good as Everything Must Go, maybe even better.

Anyway, I'd nominate The La's one and only album. Most people are probably familiar with There She Goes but the whole album is a masterpiece and one of the very best albums of the 1990's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Kula Shaker's debut. Stone cold classic imo.

Advertisement