Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Classic Album

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I thought I'd go for something completely different for this one. I have come up with "How Dare You" by 10cc - great adult pop/rock. It contains two songs which were hit singles at the time - "Art for Art's Sake" and "I'm Mandy, Fly Me". But it is not an album that gets any airplay, although there are many fantastic tracks. I love the way the opening instrumental title track segues into "Lazy Days" - both brilliant tracks in their own right. I have seen a video for the fantastic closing track - "Don't Hang Up" - which kind of paved the way for drummer Kevin Godley as a singer. Kevin and Lol Creme left 10CC after this album to form the duo Godley and Creme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'll go with David Bowie's album Space Oddity (originally called David Bowie). Everyone knows the title track, but the other stuff on it is amazing, and usually overlooked. Also contains his best song (imho) Cygnet Committee
    I automatically thought of Bowie when I saw the thread title. I think it's probably because he's released so much, that it's easy to overlook a lot of it.
    Young Americans is a fantastic album which seems to have largely escaped the 'Best ofs' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

'The Hurting' by Tears For Fears was another forgotten Classic

Brilliant Album

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The The - 'Infected'

I always recommend this album as I come across so many people who don't even know who the band are.

One of my favourite albums of all time. I nearly wore the CD out listening to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Birneybau wrote: »
    '1972' by Josh Rouse. Nobody knows it, can't recommend it enough.
    1972 is the perfect summer album. If the sun does ever manage to come out for a few days, blast that album out and sit in your backgarden with your mates, a few beers, and with the bbq on and in you automatically gain some nice memories you can fawn over when the weather inevitably turns shite again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The La's - The La's

Sub 3 minutes pockets of joy (except looking glass @ 7mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The+Auteurs+%2528New+Wave+-+Front%2529.jpg
    The Auteurs - New Wave (1993)

It's hard to imagine that these guys, along with Suede, were once at the forefront of an emerging movement in British music known as Britpop. Unfortunately this album got buried when Oasis, Blur, and to a lesser extent Pulp, grabbed the limelight. If you love clever witty lyrics and a 70's glam-influenced sound you will love this beauty.

Absolutely superb , Luke Haines = mad genius :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

JJ72

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJ72

dont know if its forgotten but its a brilliant and imo a classic album.pity they broke up.he had a fantastic voice.

and i know its not a classic music album but this is a work of art and bloody funny and will always be classic in my eyes.its definitely forgotten and a collectors item.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI6bGCYQo-Dyx-jY1rx25i34VoFoft3nmul5KpabmiDBSEuRjq

Another forgotten Classic Album for me is

'Steve Mc Queen' - Prefab Sprout. Brilliant.

Gave it another run this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

This...

It's a lovely slice of Power-Pop played by really inventive dudes.

It's full of catchy tunes that unexpectedly fly off to some strange places.

• Advertisement

'A Fine Romance' by David Kitt 2001. A definite Classic Album

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Boston, self titled album.. The lead track's riff went on to inspire Kurt Cobain. Not full plagiarism but definitely leaning on excessive use of influence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

gammygils wrote: »

Brilliant

'The Big Romance' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kell1

Went to see Tindersticks play in the Olympia back in 2001 and David Kitt was the support act.He was touring this album and I must say that I was very impressed,Mr Tindersticks himself was absolutely pissed/stoned out of his head and David Kitt saved the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

NIMAN wrote: »
    The The - 'Infected'

I always recommend this album as I come across so many people who don't even know who the band are.

One of my favourite albums of all time. I nearly wore the CD out listening to it!!!

Superior political indie/pop/rock, bought it for a tenner on vinyl recently, still powerful sounding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ooh, an album I'm currently revisiting, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club's debut album.

Stone cold classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Not sure if this is old enough yet to be considered forgotten but every time I go back and listen after a while it makes me laugh and gives great insight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ooh, an album I'm currently revisiting, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club's debut album.

Stone cold classic.
    Good call on this album. They got lumped in with the garage rock revival trend at the start of the 00's but they seem to have more in common with bands like The Jesus & Mary Chain and The Telescopes rather than bands like The White Stripes. It's a great psych-rock album.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    'The Big Romance' :D
    My apologies.

I was actually listening to it at the time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

New Gold Dream - Simple Minds. Listened to this again recently and it stands the test of time.
    They get a bad rap because of the ****e they produced later on but this album is packed full of great tunes.

• Advertisement

Fair play Bullpost!
    I completely fogot about that one,it's definitely a Forgotton Classic Album if ever there was one.Beautiful atmospheric synths and Charlie Burchells guitar work set the tone,played the album to death and I would highly recommend the 12 inch re mixed "Glittering Prize " single if you can get your hands on it.No fillers on the album and it really brings back memories of driving home late at night in my Nissan Cherry Coupe (scary) with the stereo blasting!Saw them on the New Gold Dream tour in City Hall,Cork in 1983 and it has to be one of the best gigs I have ever been to.It was the bands peek and they seemed to loose direction after that,Belfast Child etc.

P.S I feel really old but your post brought a smile to my face

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The first two albums by Portishead and on the flip side of the coin, the first two albums by Fountains Of Wayne.

The first two albums by Portishead
    Their self-titled doesn't get enough credit, but Dummy?? It's still held in very high regard by a lot of serious music fans and is seen as an essential 90's album. It certainly hasn't been forgotten about yet.

What about the long forgotten "Kilimanjaro" by The Teardrop Explodes? Fantastic album by the completely MAD GENIUS Julian Cope!

tiger+trap+-+tiger+trap.jpg
    Tiger Trap - Tiger Trap (1993)

Tiger Trap only existed for one year and released this gem of an album as well as the EP Sour Grass. If you like catchy, female-fronted indie pop these girls nailed it down perfectly. The album only seems to have a small cult following these days which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think Wilder is their classic album.

It has stood the test of time better than Kilimanjaro imho. Peggy Suicide by Julian cope is also a great little album.
    kell1 wrote: »
    What about the long forgotten "Kilimanjaro" by The Teardrop Explodes? Fantastic album by the completely MAD GENIUS Julian Cope!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    manic street preachers's lifeblood was overlooked imo
    Lauriele wrote: »
    Lifeblood is their most boring album! They redeemed themselves somewhat with Send Away The Tigers but nothing will ever compare to The Holy Bible or even Everything Must Go.

boring:confused: depends on your definition of boring i suppose

one man's boring is another man's genius

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

gammygils wrote: »

Brilliant

His first album/ep was fantastic - called small moments. headphones is a great song on it.

Advertisement