Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing grass growth in veg patch?

Options
  • 26-05-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on minimising the amount of grass growth on a veg patch during the growing season?

At the end of last season I used weed killer on the veg patch to kill remaining plants/grass.. At the start of this season, I rotovated and removed any obvious roots etc. The potato's etc. are coming along nicely now, but there is also a considerable amount of grass starting to grow. I want to address this now, as last year it took over the veg patch by the end of the season.

Would burning with handheld propane burner help? Any other ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Welease wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on minimising the amount of grass growth on a veg patch during the growing season?

At the end of last season I used weed killer on the veg patch to kill remaining plants/grass.. At the start of this season, I rotovated and removed any obvious roots etc. The potato's etc. are coming along nicely now, but there is also a considerable amount of grass starting to grow. I want to address this now, as last year it took over the veg patch by the end of the season.

Would burning with handheld propane burner help? Any other ideas?

hay or straw is what alot of people use on allotments in between the likes of spuds and onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

paddy147 wrote: »
    hay or straw is what alot of people use on allotments in between the likes of spuds and onions.

Thanks Paddy..

Daft question, but I have a load of half decomposed grass in a pile, could I use that or will it seed and make the situation worse?

Advertisement