Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chase: 6.2 miles in 35 minutes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Short Intervals - Headed down to the track for 400m intervals at 3k pace (5:16m/m). Had a bit of a hectic day so was shovelling my dinner into me as I was getting into my running gear, but was looking forward to a tough session. And a tough session is what I got. Did 12x400 meters @ 3k pace. Tried to pace the intervals going by my garmin but I dont think its sensitive enough to monitor the minute changes in pace of a short interval. So I just went for it and used the lap time as a gauge of how I was doing. Did them in 01:17-01:20 (was aiming for 01:17's). I was pretty knackerd after 6 so had to will myself to complete the full set. Mini-victories wha?;)

Good work. Where are you based?
    Dunshaughlin 10k is on 7:30pm saturday. In my opinion its the best 10k in the country. Be well worth your while giving it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Sounds like a mighty session DSS, well done! Getting under 80 consistently on 12 reps is great going, you wanna make sure that you're not pushing too hard and then having to be too generous to yourself on the recoveries. I love those 400 sessions, but I find that I have to be really strict with myself on the recoveries. I keep to 200m recovery over 90 seconds.
    Stan

PS lap time is the only way to go with 400's on a garmin.
    PPS what track do you use near Dun Laoghaire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

tunguska wrote: »
    Good work. Where are you based?
    Dunshaughlin 10k is on 7:30pm saturday. In my opinion its the best 10k in the country. Be well worth your while giving it a lash.
    I’m near Dun Laoghaire. I'm dying to do a race but Dunshaughlin would be a bit of a trek so I’ll see if my GF/Chauffeur fancies doing it as well.
    wrstan wrote: »
    Sounds like a mighty session DSS, well done! Getting under 80 consistently on 12 reps is great going, you wanna make sure that you're not pushing too hard and then having to be too generous to yourself on the recoveries. I love those 400 sessions, but I find that I have to be really strict with myself on the recoveries.
    Cheers, it was a tough session. I noticed last week after this session that I had to cut my recovery run short as I was so drained so I’ll look out for that tonight when I’m doing a recovery run, thanks.
    PPS what track do you use near Dun Laoghaire?
    It’s the cinder track in Killbogget Park. Do you know it? Its the park where Seapoint Rugby/Cabinteely Football Club is. There’s a kids running club that uses it the odd time but mostly its pretty deserted. And its the perfect distance from m y house to get a warm-up in on the way there :)

I’m near Dun Laoghaire. I'm dying to do a race but Dunshaughlin would be a bit of a trek

By all accounts it is a great race, a real runners race, and shouldn't have any of the messing with chips and distances that you hear about with some of the funrun/charity races. There is a large group going from my club, I wish I was one of them but unfortunately I just can't make it, so I had to run an inferior race last w/e. Dunshaughlin isn't that far away anyway - absolute max 40 minutes?

Cheers, it was a tough session. I noticed last week after this session that I had to cut my recovery run short as I was so drained so I’ll look out for that tonight when I’m doing a recovery run, thanks.

Sorry DSS, I was referring to the recoveries between the 400m reps rather than your recovery runs later in the week. I reckon the value of this type of session is enhanced if you keep your recoveries even and not too long (EZ to say I know ;)). If you end up blowing hard between your reps and then extending your recoveries too long, you're better off slowing down your 400's by a couple of seconds and bringing your recovery in between back a bit.
    It’s the cinder track in Killbogget Park. Do you know it? Its the park where Seapoint Rugby/Cabinteely Football Club is.

Yeah I know it well. I am only down the road from it, I haven't used the track there for a hard session, because I use the track in Greystones, but I have run around the park many times. Your rep times are even more impressive on that surface!

Sorry DSS, I was referring to the recoveries between the 400m reps rather than your recovery runs later in the week.
    Ah! I re-read you post there and I see what you mean now:o Is Greystones AC your club?
    Dunshaughlin isn't that far away anyway - absolute max 40 minutes?
    Yea I just checked it on google maps there and it says 43 mins! Not too far so! That said, I wont be the one doing the driving so I'll have to rack up a few brownie points between now and Saturday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

How you finding the schedule? Does the book contain the full schedule or did you get it from elsewhere?

Good work!

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    How you finding the schedule? Does the book contain the full schedule or did you get it from elsewhere?

Good work!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79301575&postcount=183
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Yeah the book has 5k, 10k, half mara and marathon shedules IIRC.

Is Greystones AC your club?

No, Bray Runners.

Good luck on Saturday, be prepared to embrace the pain about mile 5, then use it to your advantage!

Long hours in work on Thursday meant I had to rearrange the 1k intervals I had planned. Figured I’d try and get up at 5am today (Friday) and get this session in before work. I was really looking forward to getting out the door before the milkman and I had visions of myself running effortlessly at one with nature :rolleyes:. However, in reality it was just fvcking annoying :mad:.

It pissed rain all night so the running track was flooded. I attempted a fast lap but the puddles made it impossible to maintain 10k pace. It was a horrible morning with gusting wind and cold drizzle – why the fvck did I get out of bed!!! Intervals abandoned I just ran a 5.5m loop of my park, good to see that were a couple of other runners out before work. Bit of a disaster of a run but I did learn a couple of things:
      I know I am capable of rolling out of bed and getting running within 15 minutes
      I should always have a plan B for situations like this

Build 1: Week 5

Mon, 18 Jun - 7.5m @ base pace on grass

Tue, 19 Jun - Intervals. 1.3m warmup. 12 x 400m @3k pace. Warm down

Wed, 20 Jun - 4.8m on grass @ recovery pace

Thurs, 21 Jun - Rest Day

Fri, 22 Jun - 5.5m (abandoned interval sesh)

Sat, 23 Jun - 7.8m @ base pace on grass

Sun, 24 Jun - Abandoned intervals. 1.3, warm up. 3 x 1k @ 10k pace + 1 hill sprint. Warm down. (supposed to be 7 x 1k)

Total Running: 40.13m

Total Cycling: 40m

This week started well but turned out bad. Good interval session on Tuesday, really happy with how that went. Friday was a wash out. On Saturday I was knackered so I decided to not do a LSR. Felt awful starting that run but gradually felt better during and felt great towards the end. Sunday was a disaster :( The running track was busy so I attempted 1k intervals around the park. Just didnt have the motivation to do it and threw in the towel after 3 intervals.

Couldnt make Dunshaughlin due to car trouble. My weight is down to 135.6 lbs which is the lowest its been since I started keeping an eye on it. Dont want to lose too much weight so I better start eating a bit more!:eek:

Next week is going to be tough. I'm working 6 days of 12 hour shifts so I'll be up at the crack of dawn to do my running. Should be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

My weight is down to 135.6 lbs which is the lowest its been since I started keeping an eye on it. Dont want to lose too much weight so I better start eating a bit more!:eek:

What height are you?

Your 135lbs puts my 205lbs in perspective! 160lbs would be about my ideal racing weight though.

What height are you?

Your 135lbs puts my 205lbs in perspective! 160lbs would be about my ideal racing weight though.

Sorry, only seeing this now! I think I'm 5 ft 8-9ish which would give me a bmi of 19.9-20.5 so I'm still normal weight thankfully:)

Tuesday - Up at 5am for an early morning interval session. The plan was to do 14x400m @ 5:10m/m pace. It was a very weird sensation running that hard when I’d barely woken up - my legs didn’t know what was going on!! :eek: I didn’t budget enough time and only managed 8 intervals (of 79-81 seconds) before I had to head back and get ready for work. Still, its better than doing no running.

Don’t know if I’m being too aggressive in these sessions? Maybe a more sensible way to do it would be to aim to run a 37 minute 10k before I start tackling the hard sessions of a 35minute 10k?

Friday - Up early again for race pace intervals. Only managed 4x1k @ race pace before I had to head back (the plan said to do 8 x 1k). Again, not great but its better than nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Don’t know if I’m being too aggressive in these sessions? Maybe a more sensible way to do it would be to aim to run a 37 minute 10k before I start tackling the hard sessions of a 35minute 10k?

I dont think you're being too aggressive, you gotta go for it. Is early morning the only time you can run sessions? Its not ideal to be tackling hard and fast stuff at that hour, you're just not at your best. I mean if its the only time you have available then I understand you gotta work with what you have, but if you can do it later in the day that'd be much better.
    Man your best bet is to knock out a race, that'll let you know for sure where you're at and what you need to do. Do a few races, get yourself sharp so that when your target race arrives it'll be second nature to you.

tunguska wrote: »
    I dont think you're being too aggressive, you gotta go for it. Is early morning the only time you can run sessions? Its not ideal to be tackling hard and fast stuff at that hour, you're just not at your best. I mean if its the only time you have available then I understand you gotta work with what you have, but if you can do it later in the day that'd be much better.
    Man your best bet is to knock out a race, that'll let you know for sure where you're at and what you need to do. Do a few races, get yourself sharp so that when your target race arrives it'll be second nature to you.

I won’t be doing early morning stuff after this week. Been doing loads of over time in work so early morning is the only time I have to get out running. It is definitely not ideal – I have zero motivation at that hour in the morning.

Yea I have to get the finger out and sign up for some races. The Plod is the next one I have lined up but even that’s not ideal for what I’m trying to achieve.

Hope to run the plod route this weekend.

Quality race, has about 6km of downhill at the end so might test the speed in your legs.

Hope to run the plod route this weekend.

Quality race, has about 6km of downhill at the end so might test the speed in your legs.

Didnt know that but its good to hear. Best of luck on the weekend let us know how ya get on

Build 1: Week 6

Mon, 25 Jun – 8m. On grass at base pace

Tue, 26 Jun – Short Intervals. 1.3m warm up. 8 x 400m @ 3k pace. 1.3m warm down.

Wed, 27 Jun – Recovery. 6.5m on grass.

Thur, 28 Jun – Rest day.

Fri, 29 Jun – Long intervals. 1.3m warm up. 4 x 1k @ 10k pace with 1 lap active recovery. 1.3m warm down.

Sat, 30 Jun – 6.4m. Base pace on grass.

Sun, 1 Jul – 12.25m. Was supposed to do 11m.

Total Running: 46m

Accidentally did week 7 of the program rather than week 6 so my base runs were longer than they should have been but my interval sesh’s were shorter due to work so hopefully that will even that out. Felt amazing during Sundays long run, it was very easy and felt like I could run all day. Really made me think that a marathon wouldn’t be beyond me given a decent enough timeframe. My weight is down to 134lbs so another loss (1.5lbs). Probably not surprising considering I worked 70hrs and ran for 6hrs this week. Gonna do the Enniskerry 7km on Saturday, looking forward to a race its been a while.

I’ve been pretty knackered all this week don’t know what’s up with me:confused:. Really had to force myself out the door on Monday for a base run and on Tuesday I was just wiped so I took a rest day.

On Wednesday I was feeling more like myself so headed down to the track for some short intervals. On the way there I knew the strong wind blowing in my face was going to ruin any chance of pacing a 400m lap so I decided to do 200m sprints instead. After a warm up I did 16x200m sprints with 200m active recovery. It went pretty well and averaged 35 seconds for the 200’s (wind assisted).

Legs are fair shtiff today so I think I’ll do a recovery run tonight, something short tomorrow and try and maintain a hard clip for Saturdays race. Gonna try for 6:00m/m pace on the flats but we’ll see what happens on the day, apparently the course is quite hilly.

Build 1: Week 7

Mon, 2 Jul - 7.5m @ base pace on grass.

Tue, 3 Jul - Rest Day

Wed, 4 Jul - Short intervals. 16x200m sprints.

Thu, 5 Jul - 7.8m @ recovery/base pace on grass.

Fri, 6 Jul - 3m @ recovery pace

Sat, 7 Jul - Powerscourt 7k. Legs still werent back to normal after my sprints earlier in the week but gave this a whack any way. Lovely day for it. Got there in plenty of time but only managed about a half mile warm up jog. I started ok and got in with the lead group of 10 heading up the initial drag of the first mile. But by the end of the first mile a gap had appeared between myself and the lead group and I was starting to think that I wasnt going to have a good day. Put the boot down on the long down hill section and passed two lads. By about the 4k mark I was starting to feel good (longer warm-up needed in future) and running a hard but manageable pace. I had a guy in my sights and it took me about 2k to catch and pass him right before the final climb. I've cycled the last climb before so I knew what I was in for.... Still a lung buster though! :) Crossed the line in 7th place which I'm happy enough with and 26:57. There were a few times during this race when I looked at the watch and I was running 5:3X or faster and I felt comfortable which is a big boost going forward with my 10k goal.

Sun, 8 Jul - 12m run. Legs were sore after all the downhill yesterday so thought a run would help loosen em up. I was wrong - they're worse :o

Total Running: 44.7m

So some good and some bad this week. Didnt get to do the interval sessions I wanted to do but I got another race under my belt and I pushed myself hard. My legs will take their time forgiving me I'm sure but I'm doing a recovery week next week so I'll be fine in no time. My weight is 134.8lbs. Thinking of doing the Plod next week, looks like a great race. It doesnt exactly fit with my training schedule but it'll keep me on my toes and add a bit of spice to the training week.

Thinking of doing the Plod next week, looks like a great race. It doesnt exactly fit with my training schedule but it'll keep me on my toes and add a bit of spice to the training week.
    Might have to rethink this. My legs are in a bad way after the race and a long run so a mountain half marathon will probably take a good bit of recovery time. Looking ahead on the schedule I have a heavy week planned for next week (the intervals are looking a bit daunting) so I want to be in the best shape possible going into it. I'm raging I'll miss the Plod, I've had that one highlighted on the calendar since I missed it last year :( I might do the Conquer the Rock instead.

• Advertisement

Wednesday - Short Intervals. Jogged down to the track and did 8x400m @ 3k pace with 1 lap active recovery. Did them in 78-80 seconds.

Friday - Long Intervals. Jogged down to the track and did 4x1k @ 10k pace with 1 lap recovery. Good session, felt like I could have done a few more no bother. Think I'm really getting a feel for the new 10k pace and I can just 'switch it on' now instead of constantly checking my pace. Times: 3:35, 3:40, 3:40, 3:39. I ran that 3:35 with an av pace of 5:28m/m (faster than goal 10k pace), but if I ran ten 3:35's in a row I would finish over 35 minutes, even though I'm running faster than goal 10k pace????? :confused::confused::confused: I dont understand that!

Decided to sign up for the Dublin Mountains Plod after all :D. There's no point in doing all this running if I'm not going to be racing!! It'll be the longest race I've ever done but I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wednesday - Short Intervals. Jogged down to the track and did 8x400m @ 3k pace with 1 lap active recovery. Did them in 78-80 seconds.

Friday - Long Intervals. Jogged down to the track and did 4x1k @ 10k pace with 1 lap recovery. Good session, felt like I could have done a few more no bother. Think I'm really getting a feel for the new 10k pace and I can just 'switch it on' now instead of constantly checking my pace. Times: 3:35, 3:40, 3:40, 3:39. I ran that 3:35 with an av pace of 5:28m/m (faster than goal 10k pace), but if I ran ten 3:35's in a row I would finish over 35 minutes, even though I'm running faster than goal 10k pace????? :confused::confused::confused: I dont understand that!

Decided to sign up for the Dublin Mountains Plod after all :D. There's no point in doing all this running if I'm not going to be racing!! It'll be the longest race I've ever done but I'm really looking forward to it.

Pace works out at 5m46s/mile not 5:28. Best of luck in breaking the 35 minute barrier. Your training seems to be going well so far. I'll be following with interest. I'm concentrating on the Dublin Marathon at the moment but might try something similar when I'm finished with that. Would be great to have a decent 10k time. Going to be watching Mo Farah in August for a bit of inspiration.

Pace works out at 5m46s/mile not 5:28. Best of luck in breaking the 35 minute barrier. Your training seems to be going well so far. I'll be following with interest. I'm concentrating on the Dublin Marathon at the moment but might try something similar when I'm finished with that. Would be great to have a decent 10k time. Going to be watching Mo Farah in August for a bit of inspiration.

Sh*t, really??? I just take what the garmin tells me... Guess I've been going too slow then:(

Sunday - Dublin Mountains Plod

Signed up for the Dublin Mountains Plod after much thought. Really glad I did as its a brilliant race and route!!!:D I was using this as my 'long run' so I wasnt racing it, I just used it as a fun way to get more miles on the legs without worrying about pace/race position/finishing time etc. I really had no idea what to expect as I had never run this race before and its my first half marathon so I was in uncharted territory. But I decided to just run by feel and enjoy the scenery.

Things started fast. Checked my watch towards the end of the first mile and I was doing 6m/m. Thats way too fast for a 13mile race with a lot of climbing to come so I eased back to about 7m/m on the roads. The group I was running with took a wrong turn in Cruagh wood and had to clamber over a barbed wire fence to get back on course. I hopped over just in time to see nerraw1111 use his finest breakdancing skills to narrowly avoid getting castrated by the barbed-wire:D. The climbing started here and it was single file for a while. I hate running directly behind someone (I like to be able to see whats coming) so I put on a bit of a spurt to take the lead of the group. Turned out to be a lucky move as just then we came to a series of fences that we had to step over, I was infront of the group so didnt have to cue up and wait my turn to get over:).

There was a lot of chopping and changing going through Tibradden but towards Ticknock I was feeling good and built up a bit of a lead over the group behind. I loved this part. Lovely surroundings and I wasnt trying that hard so just enjoyed the views. Took a spill on the way to the summit. Stubbed my toe pretty bad and it slowed me down a bit on the descent. I cant seem to run downhill properly:mad:. I get a pain in my stomach and back and have to tense my stomach muscles until the route flattens. Nerraw1111 went past me like a freight train on the long descent home. For a second I thought about chasing him but I let that thought go and just ran comfortably. The pain in my stomach went away on the smoother downhill and I was able to keep up a decent clip. I was able to ease off the pace back in Marlay as there was no-one chasing me and I crossed the line feeling exhilarated rather than knackered. Finished in 98:21 and 10th place which I'm chuffed with considering how much I held back. Dublin, you were looking beautiful today!

Great report DSS, well done on the race, 10th is a great result, and on the training in general.
    I've been out of town for a few weeks so it's good to catch up.

Thanks, good to have ya back! I have missed your sage advice!:D

Ha! Thanks for the compliment but looking at some of your times I should be seeking your advice! :D

Are you running the DLR Bay 10k seeing as it's on your doorstep?

Good stuff yesterday. You were climbing very well.

Ha! Thanks for the compliment but looking at some of your times I should be seeking your advice! :D

Are you running the DLR Bay 10k seeing as it's on your doorstep?

Yeah definitely doing the Bay 10k again. I set my 10k PB there last year so I'll be using that race to see how much (fingers crossed! :p) I've progressed. Its a good race, a few hills in the first 5k but mostly flat or downhill in the second 5k. You signing up?

• Advertisement

Good stuff yesterday. You were climbing very well.

Cheers, I enjoyed the climbing but I'm a mess descending :eek:. You need to teach me your downhill skills!:D

Advertisement